March 22nd, 2010 | Images, Misc., Uncommon Knowledge

Last year there were a bunch of games announced that looked like EarthBound and MOTHER 3 in various ways. It was easy to mix up which was which, so I thought I’d make things a little more clear here. I’ve also provided a few new screenshots whenever possible.

Obviously, these games aren’t related to EarthBound or the MOTHER games except for the artwork. But since people send news about them regularly I thought I should cover them briefly again.

The Another World: Hotroit Stories

The Another World (Ni no Kuni) is being released on the Nintendo DS, but a sidestory version or something is being released on the Japan-only ROID platform too. This ROID version is the game that looked a lot like EarthBound that got everyone talking last year. As far as I know, this is still going to be a Japan-only game, playable on cell phones, possibly also on computers via a special service.

Here are some new screenshots I dug up. The first screenshot looks ugly because I couldn’t find a full-size version; I could only find a small thumbnail so I resized it. It looks pretty cool though.

I’m not even sure if the game has been released yet. I checked the ROID site and I didn’t see it anywhere. Hopefully we’ll have more info and media at some point.

Professor Layton London Life

This RPG was originally announced for the ROID system too, but they later announced that it would also be an unlockable in the newest Professor Layton game. Meaning this is something people outside of Japan might get to play at some point.

Fantasy Life

Sometime last year, Brownie Brown announced they were working on a game called Fantasy Life. Naturally, it looks a lot like MOTHER 3. I don’t think there’ve been any new screenshots since that first announcement, but in case you missed them, here they are:

Apparently Nobuo Uematsu is doing the music too.

Kappa Road

This is a DSiWare game in Japan made by Brownie Brown. It has a lot of MOTHER 3 cameos in it, so far Ocho, a Pigmask helmet, and those underwater oxygen machines have been spotted in screenshots/videos. What else is there?

So that’s a quick update on all of those games. I get a lot of e-mails about them and it’s easy to mix them up with each other, so I hope that clears the air a little. It’s a shame none of them are EarthBound games, but I think we’re used to that kind of disappointment by now 😛

17 Comments to Related/Similar Games Round-Up

Starguy said on Mar. 22, 2010

Great list! Fantasy life looks good.

Saturnome said on Mar. 22, 2010

I want to play them all. They look too good.

Felipe said on Mar. 22, 2010

Fantasy Life and London life were also made by Brownie Brown, in cooperation with Level 5.

PK Mt. Fuji said on Mar. 22, 2010

Brick Road in Professor Layton?

Pkhypernova said on Mar. 22, 2010

I hope The Another World: Hotroit Stories Isin’t Japan only I really want a game like Earthbound (Looks or game play fine with me.

Pkhypernova said on Mar. 22, 2010

*Update* (Srry) If The Another World: Hotroit Stories is japan only someone should translate it like mother 3!

Ricardo said on Mar. 22, 2010

Pkhypernova: Yeah, but, Mato’s current project is the Mother 1+2 Translation (Mother 1)
And, well… Mato’s translations are unique. I don’t think anyone can match his style

Edtries said on Mar. 22, 2010

Are you sure the last one in the fantasy life category doesn’t belong in london life?

It seems you can change your outfit (To explain the avatar change), and that postman near the middle…

Mato said on Mar. 22, 2010

Edtries: It’s on the Fantasy Life site here:

PKSTARMAN said on Mar. 23, 2010

The Another World: Hotroit Stories must be a joke… It’s the most Earthbound-ish thing I’ve never seen.

Felipe said on Mar. 23, 2010

I really don’t care about Hotroit Stories, I want Ninokuni/Another World for the DS in english. Studio Ghibli yay.

timmyt333 said on Mar. 25, 2010

i wis i had these games

Joshua Johnson said on Mar. 25, 2010

Kappa road, I can under stand, since they were the same company, but it’s almost like the other games inspired the creators.

GoldenEevee said on Mar. 29, 2010

Guess Hotroit will be in moonspeak Forever

SombreOnion said on Mar. 30, 2010

Wow, Fantasy Life looks remarkably a lot like Mother 3. I wonder if they really would consider a Mother 4, but that’d be up to Itoi, and I think he’s done everything he wanted to do (well, unless he wants to remake the games at some point).

Anonymous said on May. 6, 2012

have you hear of homestuck is said to be influenced by earthbound,haveing checked out this site i seen tons of simmilarites.its made me want play the games too.

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

Uematsu’s doing the music for fantasy life? I’ll have to hceck the msuic out sometime, since I”m a fan of Uematsu’s work.