March 16th, 2010 | Auctions, Merchandise, MOTHER 1+2

LucasTizma pointed out this Japanese auction for super-rare stuff from the MOTHER 1+2 event in 2003:

The auction includes a non-Value Selection copy of MOTHER 1+2 signed by Shigesato Itoi himself. Only people who attended the event were able to get one, and I assume even then they were in rather limited quantity.

The auction also includes a copy of the Saturn Valley Express, a rare Mr. Saturn paper bag for holding the MOTHER 1+2 box, the Mr. Saturn strap pre-order bonus, a flyer with a message from Shigesato Itoi, Shigeru Miyamoto, and possibly others, and a King of Games T-shirt that was available at the event, but I’m not sure which design it is, probably this one.

Such a cool and rare set of stuff. To get them, you had to attend the event, but so many people tried to go that only a few people who were crazy enough to line up the previous day were able to get in. The seller says they’re getting rid of it now because they’re getting ready to move.

Anyway, if anyone happens to buy this, let us know more about the stuff, it’d be great to see it all in more detail ๐Ÿ˜€

85 Comments to Rare MOTHER 1+2 Stuff for Sale!

Poe said on Mar. 16, 2010

Whoa, that’s some of the coolest MOTHER merch I’ve seen. The seller is crazy for getting rid of it, but maybe it will benefit someone out here.

BroBuzz said on Mar. 16, 2010

I’ll buy it.

Achturn said on Mar. 16, 2010

I would totally go for it if I could use the Japanese Yahoo site -_-

PK Mt. Fuji said on Mar. 16, 2010

No way I CAN’T say no.

Kyoo said on Mar. 16, 2010

I almost crapped my pants when I read signed by Shigesato Itoi himself. … I mean… to me that’s like saying Signed by (not)God.

Onion said on Mar. 16, 2010

Good God. I can only imagine what kind of price this will fetch.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

Rest assured, I’ll acquire these items if at all possible. The only problem is that I’m second in line with Celga, meaning that someone else placed a bid with them before me but for a lower max bid amount. I’m willing to drop up to $750 on this package. I hope I win it. When I first saw the auction listing, I almost didn’t check it out because I was like, “Ew, someone just drew on the box with marker…” Then my eyes widened. ๐Ÿ˜€

Poe said on Mar. 16, 2010

I really hope you get it, LT. I’d love to see better pictures of everything.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

ใผใใ‚‚ใผใใ‚‚๏ผ (I’m sure that’s wrong…) If I win it, I’ll make a video detailing each of the items! ๐Ÿ˜€

Carl said on Mar. 16, 2010

Why is it a problem that you’re second in line with Celga? I’m only cursorily familiar with the way Celga works, but if your bid is higher than that of a previous bidder, then you’ve outbid him, and while you might still be outbid, you’ve already beaten him. So what does it matter that he placed the bid first?

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

Unless someone ELSE outbids the first Celga bidder, they won’t place my bid. So even though my bid is higher, the first person was, well, first… I don’t really understand why this is the case. I just gotta hope that someone else outbids the first Celga bidder so my bid will be place…and that Celga doesn’t screw up the timing. :-\ I’d be very pissed if they mess this up for me like some other auctions.

Mato said on Mar. 16, 2010

I think what they’ll do is bid the first guy’s maximum, and if someone else in Japan bids higher, then Celga will switch to LucasTizma’s bids. If nobody bids higher than the first guy, the first guy will win the auction.

Obviously it’d be in Celga’s best interest to simply go with whatever the highest bid is through them (more money for them that way), but it probably makes things more complicated that way, what with internal bidding wars outside of the actual auction. Plus if the super-highest bidder wins but decides not to pay up that would look especially bad for Celga, who I hear already has an iffy reputation among sellers.

I’m sure there’ve been past incidents too that’s made them use this weird policy. That’s my guess anyway.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

Yeah Mato explained it better. ๐Ÿ™‚ I guess you have to take what you can get when it comes to overseas dispatch services. In reality, Celga’s only botched a couple Mbok auctions because the seller removed their bids. Lame.

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

Ninji said on Mar. 16, 2010

ใƒžใ‚ถใƒผใฎใ‚ทใƒชใƒผใ‚บใฏใ€€ไธ–็•Œใงไธ€ใฐใ‚“ใ„ใ„ใ‚ฒใƒผใƒ ใ ! Sorry, I just had to say something japanese-ish for this special event ๐Ÿ˜› It’s supposed to say Mother is a good game series, Number 1 in the world! But, I swear I messed up around the number place, my japanese is poor :<

Roo said on Mar. 16, 2010

I gotta say, that would be pretty sweet to have. Good luck LT!

santiagoff said on Mar. 16, 2010

RARE

neonix said on Mar. 16, 2010

Dang, I really want that signed copy and that bag as silly as it is.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

I’m wondering if I should jack my max bid up to $1000. :-\ Then again, if someone doesn’t outbid the first Celga bidder (somewhere between $250 and $499), then it won’t matter. :'(

Poe said on Mar. 16, 2010

Yeah I wouldn’t raise it yet. Are you able to raise it if you’ve been outbid by someone in Japan?

Carl said on Mar. 16, 2010

If you’re really willing to pay $1000, then just go ahead and increase your bid to that amount. What would be the point of waiting?

Mato said on Mar. 16, 2010

You could also use a different service if you’re worried about Celga’s first-come-first-serve policy.

BroBuzz said on Mar. 16, 2010

I have 2000$, so I can out bid anyone in my way.

Onion said on Mar. 16, 2010

Just jack up your bid to $1000. From what I gather this is a featured auction and these things tend to shoot up quickly at the end. I lost out on some really awesome Katamari stuff because I did not understand this…

This is an extremely rare item even for YAJ. It is certain this will go for higher than $500.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

Yeah I went ahead and set my max bid to $1000. That’s probably all I’m willing to pay for this in the end.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

@BroBuzz: If you’ll recall, you’ve been saying this for every single rare item that’s come up recently. ๐Ÿ™‚

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

@Mato: What the heck does his signature say? It doesn’t look like ใ‚คใƒˆใ‚ค or anything.

Mato said on Mar. 16, 2010

It says ็ณธไบ•้‡้‡Œ.

Poe said on Mar. 16, 2010

Looks like a bunch of squiggles to me ;p

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

ใŠใ‚„๏ผYeah I don’t see it. XD

neonix said on Mar. 16, 2010

Mato, is that just an assumption? Or do those squiggles really make sense to your trained eye?

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

*listening to the MOTHER 1+2 OST in anticipation of this auction’s conclusion*

Mato said on Mar. 16, 2010

neonix: well, I’ve seen his signature enough on stuff that I didn’t even have to think about it, but now that people have been mentioning it, when I look at it from a different perspective it does look like nothing but squiggles ๐Ÿ˜›

LucasTizma said on Mar. 16, 2010

XD Even the mighty Mato has fallen!

P Philosophy said on Mar. 16, 2010

Wow! Now this is quite the rare auction! Would be great to have any of that. Really would like to know more information on this. I hope you win it LucasTizma. Wish I could help you somehow though. Celga has weird rules…><

SmaMan said on Mar. 16, 2010

When will this stream of supa-rare Mother merchandise end? Not that I’m complaining or anything… it’s just blowing my mind right now! I’m gonna hold off on buying stuff at the moment and enjoy the Earthbound cart I won last week…

Actually I’m thinking about getting those Mr. Saturn Plush straps. Anyone else got em? Are they BOING?!

BottleRocket said on Mar. 16, 2010

Wow, Itoi-signed merch? And I never thought any M1+2 event stuff would ever be up for auction! This’ll be interesting to follow. (And SmaMan, I’d get the plush strap. It’s very awesome and BOING!)

tapioca said on Mar. 16, 2010

itoi signs his name like mr saturn. ;/

neonix said on Mar. 17, 2010

Maybe Itoi drew that ridiculous Saturn Valley map in M3 himself, lol

missy said on Mar. 17, 2010

damn, I wish I could afford this.
some day… some day…

pidgezero_one said on Mar. 17, 2010

I just use SMJ for yahoo auctions because they have automatic bidding, you don’t need to wait for anyone to get the request. It is kind of expensive but it’s also very reliable and I’ve sniped many an auction ๐Ÿ˜›

KingDarian said on Mar. 17, 2010

I was considering dropping a bid on this, until I started reading through the bidding plans in these comments. LucasTizma, where do you get all this crazy money. Are you robbing banks in your spare time? ๐Ÿ˜€ I wish you luck in nabbing this great package.

Darien said on Mar. 17, 2010

Maybe he just spends his spare time beating up on Spiteful Crows. For some reason, your bank balance increases when you do that.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

@KingDarian: I’m just reckless with my income, that’s all. ๐Ÿ™‚ And by all means, go for this auction if you want. Like I was telling neonix, I’m all for legit fans outbidding me on stuff like this. I just hate when some obscure guy nabs something of extreme interest and just keeps it in the shadows forever. This stuff is meant to be shared!

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

Blargh. So Celga bid on the first person’s behalf. $300. I’m worried it won’t go up at all so that my second-in-line bid will be placed. @pidgezero_one, can you bid, like $301, or something so my bid will get kicked in? ๐Ÿ˜‰

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

Sorry, 30,000 ๅ††, not $301. Sorry for the triple-posting. >.<

P Philosophy said on Mar. 18, 2010

I could see if I could help you. So you need a bid of $301 and then your bid will count?

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

I need a bid of 30,001ๅ†† ~ $352.95 using Celga’s exchange rate. Yeah, then Celga should throw my bid up.

P Philosophy said on Mar. 18, 2010

Alright! Just sent in the money to get my account back up. I use SMJ as well so I will let you know when I’m able to put the bid in. I’ll keep you updated!

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

Oooooooooooooh, really?! Wow, thanks. ๐Ÿ˜€ I was setting up a SMJ account myself, but they said it would take 24 hours to get it all registered, blah blah blah, so I started to cry. :'(

I feel like I’m cheating by doing this, but… I very well can’t stop someone else from outbidding the first person, can I? O.o ๐Ÿ˜€ XD

P Philosophy said on Mar. 18, 2010

Very true! Who’s to say that I secretly want the item and am trying to outbid the other seller? *nudge nudge* But let’s just hope everything processes in time and it all works out. Got to think positive! ๐Ÿ˜€

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

ใƒ˜(^_^ใƒ˜)(ใƒŽ^_^)ใƒŽ Many thanks!

P Philosophy said on Mar. 18, 2010

Just put a bid through of 34,100 and I see a “mystery” bidder already outbid me. Oh shoot. Hee hee…go, go LucasTizma! Run to it. ๐Ÿ˜€

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

Well, drats, P, that’s too bad for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sweet-Michiko said on Mar. 18, 2010

LucasTima,I would to help create high quality translation of the Saturn Valley Express, for everyone to download in PDF format.

It’s hard to tell the exact dimensions of the paper, but I would love, love, to get a scan of it at 300dpi in .tiff format if it isn’t too much trouble. If it means damaging the product to get the scan, don’t bother.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

@Sweet-Michiko: I’m sure that’s no problem at all. If it’s larger than a standard flatbed scanner, I’ll have to stitch together multiple sections at a time in photoshop like I did with the EarthBound Times paper. In any case, I’m sure something like that won’t be hard to scan, and I’d LOVE to have it translated…

So I’m the current highest bidder. Cross your fingers for me! XD

Sweet-Michiko said on Mar. 18, 2010

That would be great! If you send me the raw scan, I can make it a clean one in Photoshop. I can spice the whole thing up in InDesign from there.

Good luck!

KingDarian said on Mar. 18, 2010

A pdf of Saturn Valley Express is actually available somewhere in Itoi’s MOTHER site. I don’t have the link handy at the moment, but it shouldn’t be too hard to track down.

Mato said on Mar. 18, 2010
LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

Oh nice! There ya’ go, and it’s all official/professional, which isn’t exactly how mine would look. LOL

Sweet-Michiko said on Mar. 18, 2010

I noticed that some of the pictures were a bit grainy/hard to see, and was hoping to create something better.

Sweet-Michiko said on Mar. 18, 2010

Kind of like the manga translations a few posts back.

O/T: Is there a way to edit posts on here?

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

Okay I’ll provide scans anyway if I get it.

Onion said on Mar. 19, 2010

How are you going to sleep tonight? I’d be so excited I’d be climbing the walls!

neonix said on Mar. 19, 2010

@Sweet-Michiko, That PDF Mato posted was the official PDF, which means the printed version has those grainy images as well. At least I’m pretty sure of that.

But I guess we’ll know for certain if LT or someone else here wins it.

And I have the PDF printed and laminated. It measures up to about 10 1/8″ by 14 3/8″ which unfortunately has made it hard for me to find a suitable frame yet.

neonix said on Mar. 19, 2010

Damn. I hate YAJ’s auto time extension anti-snipe feature. I saw this about to end and celga hadn’t updated LT’s bid. So I had to outbid the random high bidder, but now we’re in a war and its quite a different animal than an ebay bid war.

neonix said on Mar. 19, 2010

Well, I won. 52,001 yen. Now I just get to wait and see if my buyer’s remorse to kicks in. ๐Ÿ™‚

Onion said on Mar. 19, 2010

Awesome. Just awesome.

I’ve wanted to ask this and maybe this is the appropriate place for it…? What is the other stuff included in the auction? I mean clearly the strap is the strap, the t-shirt is the t-shirt and the newspaper is the newspaper. What’s that red flyer though? Is the paper bag just a bag or is there something in it?

Mato said on Mar. 19, 2010

The paper bag is just a special paper bag used during the M12 event to put the game into for people who bought it there.

The red flyer was given out to everyone in attendance I think. It has a message from Itoi, Miyamoto, and Iwata:

LucasTizma said on Mar. 19, 2010

Aaaargh! Congrats, though, neonix. I’m done with Celga. Shipping out my last order with them then closing my account.

Sweet-Michiko said on Mar. 19, 2010

Yeeeah.. I heard a lot of bad things about them.

I only ordered some concert tickets through Celga once upon a time back around October 2007 for my planned trip to Japan in December 2007, before they made all the changes to their site. I never did open an account with them :/

P Philosophy said on Mar. 19, 2010

Congratulations Neonix for getting it! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you take lots of pictures of it and give it a nice home. You’re very lucky to have autographed merchandise. That baggy is really adorable as well!

Sorry about the auction service LucusTizma. From what I seen, Celga seems very unreliable. SMJ is a very nice service though. Hope it works out better for you for future auctions. You’ll need it if the mother jacket pops up randomly. Maybe someday it will… ๐Ÿ˜€

Roo said on Mar. 19, 2010

Congrats, Neonix. That’s a nice get.

Yeah, I still don’t fully understand how Celga works. It seems like a system that would be made if you took a dash of ebay and mixed in a heaping tablespoonful of bureaucracy. Best to avoid headaches like that, LT.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 19, 2010

Yeah, I sent Celga a “please refund my account credit and close my account” e-mail. They’ve lost far too many auctions and only had this to say about this screw-up:

Sorry for the confusion.
Since you were 2nd in line, we have overlooked on your raised max bid considering the other bidder raising for it.
Thank you and sorry again for the trouble.

I’m going with JAC, although I don’t know how I’m going to order from Mbok now. Still thoroughly pissed, but it’s really awesome that at least neonix won it! ๐Ÿ˜€ Congrats. I shouldn’t be so pissy. LOL

Ninji said on Mar. 19, 2010

@LT, yeah, JAC is pretty awesome, and they have japanese translation stuff, but they only show various results, so for some reason, you’re not going to get some cool items ๐Ÿ™ But, it still is probably the best in my book ๐Ÿ˜›

LucasTizma said on Mar. 19, 2010

@Ninji: Well I figure I can still input any valid YAJ auction link for JAC, right?

Ninji said on Mar. 19, 2010

True! ๐Ÿ˜€

Poe said on Mar. 19, 2010

Celga has no idea how badly they screwed up by losing you, LT.

Sweet-Michiko said on Mar. 20, 2010

Congrats to neonix, by the way!

LucasTizma said on Mar. 20, 2010

@Poe: Ha ha. They don’t seem to have any sense of “preferred customer”. Not that I’m anyone special, but you’d figure with all the money I throw at them they could at least bother to monitor multi-hundred-dollar auctions a little better. So yeah, unless I come across an “emergency” Mbok auction and can’t find another service to bid on it, I’m done with Celga.

neonix said on Mar. 31, 2010
I am a loser said on Apr. 6, 2010

it looks like it would be approximately 150 $
I am probably wrong but that is what it looks like…

Pkhypernova said on Apr. 12, 2010

I Want it D:

Domeniq said on Aug. 14, 2010

I just ordered the game “Mother 1+2”, and it was amazing. I beat two games on my Nintendo DS.

Whos Your Daddy Reggie said on Jan. 19, 2011

Who would get rid of MOTHER 1+2, especially who would get rid of it signed by Shigesato Itoi himself! Plus, theres a copy of the Saturn Vally Express! I plan on trying to get it.

Find Merchandise!