March 1st, 2010 | Auctions, EarthBound, Merchandise

With all this crazy EarthBound merchandise hitting the auction block lately, here’s another addition: a VGA-certified new copy of EarthBound for $6000.

If you don’t know what the VGA is, see here. I kind of doubt it’ll actually sell for $6000, maybe someone can make a better offer. The last new copy of the game sold for over $1000, I dunno if the VGA OK is worth an extra $5000.

Regardless, it’ll be interesting to watch this one to see if it DOES sell, and if so, for how much.

75 Comments to New Copy of EarthBound for $6000

Murcielo said on Mar. 1, 2010

He he he, like I haven’t said enough that prices for Earthbound swag, much less the cartridge itself, is priced high. But, now there’s this one for 6 grand.

Whew, that’s a lot of moolah someone’ll have to pull together if they’d want to make it part of their large EB collection. Good luck to them if they sell it, and to those who will have to have a serious talk with their significant other, or wallet.

FinalstarmanDX said on Mar. 1, 2010

I’ll wait for lucas tizma (AKA bill gates)to appear and see if he goes for it heheh.

Pigmask Private said on Mar. 1, 2010

Man, I hate the VGA

They put your game in a box with your name on it, use some “mystery” grading system (I’ve only seen one 100 score sealed game), and what do you get?

A nice shelf display.

While I’m sure somebody wants this, probably badly, I’d MUCH rather have a new one that you can remove all the internal bonus such and enjoy it.

Also… who’s to say that the VGA didn’t remove the guide, game, and all the insides before sealing your box up?

Ooh, scary though.

KingDarian said on Mar. 1, 2010

I think VGA is one of the dumbest things to ever hit video games, yet there are collectors out there willing to spend extra money on a game just because it sits inside a plastic box with some stickers.

I hope no one wastes their money on this.

meleemario said on Mar. 1, 2010

I don’t think it’ll sell, but if it comes with all the extra stuff in the box, that’d be cool, but 6k is definitely steep. Hopefully this guy takes offers, he might bite for about 2k maybe. We’ll see how it goes though.

meleemario said on Mar. 1, 2010

I honestly have not heard of the VGA until just now, and their site didn’t help much. Can I get an explanation from someone here who knows?

KingDarian said on Mar. 1, 2010

Got a sealed game? Send it to them, they put it in a plastic box and give it a rating depending on how well sealed it is and then send it back to you. It costs a bunch of money, btw.

P Philosophy said on Mar. 1, 2010

Way too much money. Even if it’s brand new, never opened I really hate that casing. Can you even remove the game from it? Well at least you got a nice paperweight. Think it’s a sad fate for that beautiful game to be forever imprisoned, never to be played in that cheap plastic. Hmm…maybe I’m thinking too much.

shibaru said on Mar. 1, 2010

shiny
I’m not sure I’d pay THAT much for EarthBound no matter how much I want it

no name given said on Mar. 1, 2010

$6000

LucasTizma said on Mar. 1, 2010

Well I agree with you guys, but trust me: if I had $6,000 of PURE disposable income, I’d snag it just for the hell of it! Of course, I’m MUST more interested in MOTHER (i.e., Japanese) merch than EarthBound in particular.

neonix said on Mar. 1, 2010

Damn, I first saw the auction and I though it said only $600. I was about to buy it in a heartbeat, but then I saw the extra zero..

VGA is the “Video Game Authority.” It is the video game equivalent to coin grading services, except that grading and encasing your collectible coins is a much more practical and profitable procedure as it is done by several different groups all using a the same standard grading scale.

This concept doesn’t quite work as well with games though. A coin encased with plastic can still be enjoyed exactly as much if it weren’t sealed off.

A sealed video game is rather worthless..

I agree with Pigmask, I’d rather have a very good condition EB set that I can open up and look at and play if I so desire.

BroBuzz said on Mar. 1, 2010

I’m going make an offer on this, but 2000$ is my limit.

And let’s pray someone in the we know buys it.

? said on Mar. 1, 2010

lol grading scam

Ninji said on Mar. 1, 2010

I too agree with Pigmask Private, sure, my copy is kinda beat up but still in very good condition, looks pretty awesome after 15 years of some other guy having it, doesn’t have the scratch and sniff cards, and it doesn’t have the Nintendo ads and fliers, or that white cartridge holder, but who cares about that? The cartridge holder is worth zip and is useless, the scratch and sniff cards smelled horrible from what I’ve heard, and the ads are just useless crap, what matters, is that I have a funky-fresh beboppin’ copy of EarthBound, which is a hell of a lot better than a complete copy that is trapped inside a lousy glass case, so this auction is pointless ;D

Poe said on Mar. 1, 2010

Wow, lots of hate in the comments today.

PsychicKid said on Mar. 1, 2010

And I thought me spending $102.50 on a near-mint copy was bad.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 1, 2010

Well, I guess it’s cool for there to be a group that tries to act as the authoritative source for grading the condition and quality of a video game… BroBuzz, you should totally do it! Total mint copy.

Mister Crosser said on Mar. 1, 2010

Let’s just PRAY that prices for complete used sets don’t go up even higher if this sells >_>

meleemario said on Mar. 1, 2010

The whole concept of VGA sounds like a joke to me. Based on what I read on their site, all they’re good for is selling the games you get rated by them on eBay for collectors. Eh, maybe it’s just me…

ebkid199x said on Mar. 2, 2010

haha ill just buy it and sell it for $7000 in a year 😛 jk

Dlakii said on Mar. 2, 2010

I will be utterly astonished if this sells, and I’m hoping it doesn’t if only to slap some sense into the seller. Seriously, no game that is/was once commercially widespread is worth that much, not even EarthBound. No amount of “authority” grading or casing can change that.

Also, am I the only one here who can’t help but compare the VGA protective case to the Absolutely Safe Capsule? 😛

SmaMan said on Mar. 2, 2010

Aaaa!!! Geez that’s a lot. I really want a copy of Earthbound, but I actually want to play it…

Psi-Rockin said on Mar. 2, 2010

Wow, I should get my copy certified by the VGA, mine is close to perfect condition as well, but then I would not be able to play it!

resetsurvivor said on Mar. 2, 2010

Dang! I only have $5999! Can someone lend me $1?

PK Saturn said on Mar. 2, 2010

Lets see… what could I buy with 6 grand…
924.5 Lb of Chocolate 😛
100 Mother 3 cartridges
60 Earthbound Cartridges
30 Nintendo Wiis (Weird to think that 2 EB carts= 1 Wii)
6 Macbook Laptops
1 Used Car :O

eatontm said on Mar. 2, 2010

If I had the money for that I’d make a video to be posted here of me smashing the VGA case with a hammer and liberating that poor earthbound copy to play it like it was meant to be played.

t

santiagoff said on Mar. 2, 2010

This is just crazy…

Commander_sigma said on Mar. 2, 2010

I’d buy it to use it as a display. I’d buy one that’s been opened and played to play. Yes I’d have two. I want to make an earthbound room when I get a house…..this woul be prefect for it

WhatsHerFace said on Mar. 2, 2010

So…
What exactly is it that makes them an “authority” on grading games? Is their rating system based on anything in particular or is it just based on whatever they think?

As cool as an unopened EB cart is $6000 is just way too much money. I hope someone doesn’t actually buy this as it could make getting the cart that much harder when people decide to charge more and more for the carts they want to sell.

SmaMan said on Mar. 2, 2010

Considering that the even rare-er Earthbound Zero prototype just sold for a sixth of this price… I don’t think this is gonna sell for this high.

Saturnome said on Mar. 2, 2010

Today one of the most expensive collection you can have is a collection of Picasso.

Tomorrow? Video games!

Onion said on Mar. 2, 2010

VGA is hot garbage. They grade and seal THEIR OWN GAMES before listing them. Conflict of interest much?

Gummidge said on Mar. 2, 2010

@resetsurvivor: You can have my 99 cents!

Murcielo said on Mar. 2, 2010

A penny for your thoughts! *tosses penny reset’s way*

But honestly, even if I could afford to purchase this grade 90 EB, I probably wouldn’t unless the price dropped by at least 75%. Meh.. unfortunately, I has no job. D:

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, […]

Not Giygas said on Mar. 2, 2010

Ugh! I don’t think any video game for the SNES is worth 6K.

Even if it was… Duke Nukem Forever!

Tetra said on Mar. 2, 2010

I would want it…if it were ALOT cheaper and I could actually play it!

MadCrazyAngry said on Mar. 2, 2010

Man. When I first saw this for sale, I remember it’s ad in Nintendo power, it was 1998 and Best buy was selling new factory sealed boxed for $6 each to get rid of them. I told my mom, “I know this is going to be valuable someday, please help me buy them”. God I wish I had a job then.. she said “you get 1” I was absolutely going to buy all 32 copies (yes I counted, because I knew this day would come) DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!!! Still Kicking myself to this day, but whatever, the one copy I bought was played a good 30 times through and was fun as hell. I already sold off my mint book and box, it’s worth $120 opened in mint condition…

Mato said on Mar. 2, 2010

You don’t happen to have any ads for the game from then do you? I’m actually really wanting to find old store ads for the game for historical/informational purposes. $6 for EB is 😯

Jimmy said on Mar. 2, 2010

BTW, the case the game is in is an OPENABLE acrylic case.

Joshua Johnson said on Mar. 2, 2010

I so wish I can go back to the mid 90’s, and get like ten of these unopened Earthbound’s for like $15 each in a walmart bin 🙁

Ninji said on Mar. 2, 2010

You said it Joshua Johnson 😉

Mother 4 said on Mar. 2, 2010

Roo should buy it.

neonix said on Mar. 2, 2010

Yea, that ad would be really cool to have a look at.

@MadCrazyAngry, (lol) I’m surprised you were able to predict it’s future collectbility, before even playing it! But hey, it could always be worse. My grandma threw out my dad’s entire comic book collection which happened to contain Spiderman #1 >_>

SmaMan said on Mar. 3, 2010

@Joshua Johnson
But then you would skew the timeline so greatly that Earthbound would actually be less in value than it is in this current present time…

…Come to think of it, if we all went back in time and bought a few unopened Earthbound’s then maybe it would actually be on VC and we’d have Mother 3 and… y’know what, screw it. Go get those Earthbound’s Johnson!

BroBuzz said on Mar. 3, 2010

Sratch that, my momther won’t let me pay 2000$ on one game. CURSE YOU MOTHER!!!

Poe said on Mar. 3, 2010

Hah, no I think she has the right idea, BroBuzz. I don’t care how much you think you want it now, I’m almost certain you’ll regret it when you’re older. $2000 is a LOT of money and you should put it towards something more useful.

starstormer said on Mar. 3, 2010

I am so buying it. As soon as I get a good job and earn $6,000 dollars. It could take a while though.

SmaMan said on Mar. 3, 2010

Yeah, like… a much cheaper copy of Earthbound! Like the one I finally won after much eBay battling… for the measly (compared to this) sum of $74.75.

SmaMan said on Mar. 3, 2010

@Starstormer
Well, better hurry, it ends in about 3 days!

neonix said on Mar. 4, 2010

Alright, it’s down to $5000! Now resetsurvivor can buy it!

BroBuzz said on Mar. 4, 2010

@Poe

Yeah your right but, ME-WANT-MINT-EARTHBOUND-GAME!!!!!

Poe said on Mar. 4, 2010

I think you meant to use “you’re” there, BroBuzz. (Not trying to be mean, just trying to help with your grammar.)

Mr. Crosser said on Mar. 4, 2010

I still feel $5000 is a LITTLE too high for an item like this.

DrDiamond said on Mar. 4, 2010

Down to $4000, but still…it’s a game. It is meant to be played. It seems criminal to lock away a video game in a plastic prison.

Mister Crosser said on Mar. 4, 2010

Still too high

neonix said on Mar. 4, 2010

Maybe the seller is watching these comments. The most I’d pay for this is $1000, and even then I’d have to think really long and hard about it.

SmaMan said on Mar. 4, 2010

I wonder if this guy even knows about the even rarer Earthbound Zero prototype going for a fourth of this price…

KittyFields said on Mar. 5, 2010

@Mato:

I know for a fact that I have Nintendo Power issues from ’98 (and before… and after) but they’re sitting in a box in my grandpa’s house about 1000 km away in my home town. Yeah…

Well, it’d be interesting to flip through them irregardless. I do remember reading the Earthbound 64 previews with much anticipation, so I’m sure I still have those NP issues if you’d like to see them!

Poe said on Mar. 5, 2010

Looks like the auction has ended, but was there a buyer? The history says there have been 14 offers, but when I clicked the link, it says no purchases have been made. I guess that means nobody bought it?

neonix said on Mar. 5, 2010

Yep, the time just expired is all.
Look here: http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_nkw=earthbound&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1
The price is red, which means it didn’t sell.

Let’s see if he/she relists it.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 5, 2010

This is worth no more than $2000. I’d be more willing to drop bigger bucks on MOTHER-related materials than EB-related materials anyway. :-\

neonix said on Mar. 7, 2010
PKSTARMAN said on Mar. 14, 2010

I know this sounds stupid but… I would pay $6000 for a NEW, BOXED, EarthBound!

EBFAN said on Mar. 24, 2010

wow… how can you call yourself fans!!!! First, even if it were my last $6000 dollars, i would gladly pay it… Even double. Does anyone have any idea how few sealed copies there are left in exestience???? you can count them on two hands practically!! its not like you can go to walmart and buy one… second, the VGA is a very well respected video game grader, with many years experience in die-cast and comics. Why in the hell would u want to drop multiple thousand dollars on one of the few sealed earthbound copies left and open it!!! god, im completly shocked at some of the stupid things some of you had to say!!! COMMEN SENSE IDIOTS!!!!!

Onion said on Mar. 24, 2010

VGA isn’t respected at all. VGA has little to no reputation and whenever I do find something about the VGA from a site they’re not fronting, it’s a complaint. VGA rates it’s own games in secret and then sells them with no third party. It’s a huge conflict of interest.

LucasTizma said on Mar. 24, 2010

@EBFAN: A “sealed” one went for $1000 last time. There’s no way this is worth 6 times that amount. Now, a MOTHER 1 Japanese prototype or something? Or even a Franklin Badge, yes. Those have never been seen before…

someEBfan said on Apr. 1, 2010

To be honest I’m surprised nobodies played the number card yet…

Anonymous said on Jan. 14, 2011

I would time travel to when earthbound was at it’s cheapest (year 1997) but i would have to be a robot and i don’t want to freak people out

Anonymous said on Feb. 21, 2011

WTF?!? WHO WOULD WASTE MONEY ON THAT?!$6000… You could buy 2 or more laptops!

Matteomax said on Jun. 5, 2011

If I had $6000, I would buy the giant Mr.Saturn plush, a Master Belch Plush, and (try) to buy all Figures..

gg said on Jun. 18, 2011

DAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dialga Thunderstar said on Jan. 28, 2012

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Jordy van Eijndhoven said on Mar. 17, 2012

@EBFAN: When I’m reading your comment, I am feeling a lot of negative energy and hate against the fellow fans. Please chill out. It looks like you don’t even OWN the game.

Find Merchandise!