Random Post:

Onett Rubber Stamp

March 18th, 2010 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Videos

A long while back I posted about I Am The Will’s “NESBound” music project, which involves redoing EarthBound’s music into what they might’ve sounded like on an old NES console.

Here’s some of I Am The Will’s latest work, it’s really cool as always πŸ˜€

The video has four songs:

1. Kraken’s Theme
  2. Battle Against a Machine
  3. Sanctuary Boss Theme
  4. Smiles and Tears

When I heard Smiles and Tears, it reminded me of the ending to StarTropics and got me thinking about how similar an NES version of EarthBound’s ending could be done, with this music here playing over a similar cool-looking slideshow of hand-drawn stuff.

24 Comments to More NESBound Music!

kenisu said on Mar. 18, 2010

Oh man, this is sweet stuff!

Poe said on Mar. 18, 2010

I loves me some chiptunes β™₯

I only wish there was more stuff like this. Y’know, quality stuff that would make the original composers proud. I think they would be proud to hear this.

Carl said on Mar. 18, 2010

It seems strange to remake a game’s music for a platform that’s only a single console generation removed from the original.

Nevertheless, I love the idea of creating “new” music for old hardware. Coincidentally, I recently purchased an NES flashcart that includes the ability to play NSF files, so I look forward to checking these out on actual NES hardware.

kenisu said on Mar. 18, 2010

…Hey, is it just me, or is his Kraken’s Theme the PSI Mix version from the MOTHER 2 album?

neonix said on Mar. 18, 2010

kenisu, it’s just you. πŸ™‚

LucasTizma said on Mar. 18, 2010

*agrees with neonix* πŸ˜‰ I heart this stuff. I want a Pollyanna chiptunes remix! YES, Yes, yes, I know Pollyanna originally is an 8-bit song, but I want a modern Pollyanna remix reduxed down to 8-bit. XD

I’ll pay someone to do this. You know I’ll do it too, I’m crazy!!!!

[…] Direct link here addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

Mother 4 said on Mar. 18, 2010

YES! It did, “I miss you”! I jumped up and yelled “YES!” πŸ˜€

Squishy said on Mar. 18, 2010

MP3 PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

PKSTARMAN said on Mar. 18, 2010

Oh man… This sounds more NES-ish than the MOTHER music!

PKSTARMAN said on Mar. 18, 2010

All this is good work… Really nice, I want to thank I Am the Will for all this. I like it.

Tanks said on Mar. 18, 2010

@Carl Whoa dude… Which NES flashcart would this be? o_O (I must know, I’m dying to find a good one…)

LPP said on Mar. 18, 2010

So we have an 8-bit reworking of a 16-bit theme that is itself a remix of an 8-bit theme?

I can dig it.

And also <3 that rendition of Earthbound's 8 melodies.

Kyoo said on Mar. 18, 2010

when I heard the 8 bit ‘I miss you’, my heart exploded with an insane amount of joy that filled my body with shivers. I don’t know why but I can’t get full enjoyment from that song unless I hear that. it’s sad because I love the demo from the mother vocal soundtrack. but i never listen to it. because it lacks the ‘I miss you’. I don’t know why. it just seem completely incomplete with that there. I’ve heard remixes that lacked the ‘I miss you’. and I couldn’t enjoy them. it had me so happy to hear it. it’s strange how something so simple and tiny can make something seem complete or incomplete. I loved this, almost enough to make me want to hack my dads computer so I can get on it and record it as an mp3. (his computer that has a program that rips sound off of youtube in mp3 format, that I can’t use because my computer has XP and his program only works on vista and 7) I can’t wait till there is a version for me to download

blahmoomoo said on Mar. 18, 2010

Took me a while to figure out how to rip an Mp3 from an FLV without installing an additional program and without recording from my sound card, but here it is!

I used RealPlayer Converter, btw. I use RealPlayer to download streaming videos often, but I didn’t think the converter would also come in handy.

gBev said on Mar. 18, 2010

To those looking for an mp3: http://www.video2mp3.net/

Captain Bozo said on Mar. 18, 2010

I actually like this version of the boss theme more than the actual version.

P Philosophy said on Mar. 18, 2010

There’s something about 8-bit music that I just love. So simple yet so beautiful. I really miss the older console style music then the newer soundtracks today. There’s something charming about these beeps that keeps me listening.

Carl said on Mar. 18, 2010

Tanks,

I got the Powerpak flash cart from RetroZone, available here: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=34

It’s a little expensive, but worth every penny, in my opinion. The mechanism for saving games is a little annoying (even after saving in-game, you have to manually save to the memory card), but besides that, I couldn’t be happier with my Powerpak.

Marianne said on Mar. 20, 2010

These are really nice! Though personally, I think I’d have done the main instrument in “Battle against a machine” differently, flicking back and forth between two octaves C64-arpeggio-style πŸ™‚

clausman said on Mar. 22, 2010

OMG!! that was soooooo good!!

SmaMan said on Mar. 23, 2010

Wait, wasn’t there a forum post with all of these available as mp3’s?

GoldenSunFanatic said on May. 8, 2010

This is holy snap amazing! chiptunes are great and these are just perfection.

StarFan said on Jan. 16, 2011