March 28th, 2010 | EarthBound 64, Images, MOTHER 3

I came across this in my huge pile of random EarthBound stuff. I don’t know what magazine it comes from or what issue it was from, I’m guessing it’s from 2002 though. Anyone got any ideas about this?

click for full size

I wonder if this guy visits this site or Starmen.Net. I also wonder if he ever gave in and eventually bought a GameCube anyway 😛

17 Comments to EarthBound Was a Sleeper Hit

KingDarian said on Mar. 28, 2010

According to my 2 second google search, Head2Head was a section in GamePro magazine.

kenisu said on Mar. 29, 2010

Yes, I have that issue and everything… why didn’t I post it before? *Goes to bookcase*
It’s GamePro issue 162 (March 2002).
I remember reading it back when it first came out and smiling because the guy was sticking up for good ol’ EarthBound (it’s also when I first learned what “sleeper hit” meant).

kenisu said on Mar. 29, 2010

Oh, and it’s on page 22, if anyone’s wondering.
I bought the issue because of the articles on DragonBall Z games. One thing that still makes me laugh is the cartoon on page 32… this was just after the initial shock that the design for Wind Waker was going against Zelda convention, so the fan outcry was at its peak.
*wishes he had a scanner so he could show the comic*

JoeShmoe said on Mar. 29, 2010

Ah, I think I remember seeing that section before… Never really payed too much attention to it, though. But nice find.

KingDarian said on Mar. 29, 2010

Weird, I just realized I have that issue. I got it as part of a stack of magazines some kid let me have years ago. I don’t think I’ve ever thoroughly looked through it, but that EarthBound blurb is in there.

It also features a short blurb about the hidden Fourside stage in a Smash Bros. Melee section, and there’s a full page Gitaroo Man ad inside.

Kyoo said on Mar. 29, 2010

I used to be a subscriber of game pro. that was till I read their review of earthbound. never again did i find anything they had to say about any game, worth while for me to read. so I never saw this issue, so thanks for having the article up so I can read it and watch them back peddle.

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

JamesBond007 said on Mar. 29, 2010

Sleeper Hit – that’s true. Not only EarthBound. There is more games like that. Released (not always in all regions), overshadowed by better-known games and forgotten. Later resurrected by Super Smash Brothers. Today played on old consoles and emulators.

Someone Else said on Mar. 29, 2010

That definition doesn’t seem to fit EarthBound. It was hyped up by Nintendo so much, with a giant box, scratch and sniff stuff and adverts for it all over Nintendo Power. It sold abysmally.

Isn’t the definition of “sleeper hit” the exact opposite of EarthBound’s case? A sleeper hit means that it was just put up there for sale with no fanfare, yet people bought it like crazy and it became incredibly popular. I think an example of this would be Katamari Damacy.

Am I wrong?

Dadalama said on Mar. 29, 2010

sleeper hit just means something that’s highly respected but under the radar.

KingDarian said on Mar. 30, 2010

Hahaha, “EarthBound Was a Sleeper Hit” was linked to by a spam blog for tips to quit snoring. ;D

Digitalized said on Mar. 30, 2010

Earthbound had no ads…

Ha.

neonix said on Mar. 30, 2010

EarthBound was not a sleeper hit. It was never was any sort of hit; that’s why it sold so poorly and has been neglected by NoA ever since.

Cult classic is the term we’ve been using for a while now, and appropriately so. EarthBound is a pure classic that has a consolidated and dedicated (and awesome) fanbase, not a game that sold insanely well with little hype to help it (quite the opposite).

a nun he must said on Mar. 30, 2010

Earthbound had no ads but sold fairly well… How I wish that would have been true!!

Salsa9090 said on Apr. 1, 2010

i play my game cube every day, i use the gba player to play my mother 1+2 and mother 3 😀

Roo said on Apr. 2, 2010

Neonix: “EarthBound was not a sleeper hit.”

… maybe a waking bomb?

Duke said on Dec. 25, 2010

Perhaps a bit ot, but its not proper for something like a magazine to get into petty arguments with readers. Obviously so for starters that its pretty easy to “win” such an argument when you have a full blown publication and likely fanboys that would defend “the moon is green.”

Letter and response shouldn’t have been published at least, and should not have been worded like a surly (equal) forum user would’ve done it. Game Informer does the self-righteous song and dance all the time and its awful.