Random Post:

Ness is a Dog
ITOI SHIGESATO BASS FISHING NO.1 Super Famicom Import JAPAN Game no inst bcn sf

March 23rd, 2010 | EarthBound, Food

Last year there was an odd contest by Vans and Jones Soda. Rather than try to explain it, I’ll just link to the post I made about it last May.

Basically, one of the entries was based on EarthBound. It’s old news by now that the EarthBound entry won first place, as you can see on the official site.

The fact it won by such a huge margin is really cool… but does anyone know what happened afterward? Supposedly the shoe design was supposed to be on a whole bunch of Jones Soda bottles or something, but I haven’t heard anything about it or anyone finding these special bottles. Has anybody heard anything? I’d love to know!

32 Comments to EarthBound Shoes and Jones Soda

aipe said on Mar. 23, 2010

I buy Jones all the time and I have not seen that label. I actually go though all the bottles at the supermarket looking for it but nothing yet

Pkhypernova said on Mar. 23, 2010

I NEED IT I 111111 NEED IT!!!!!!!
-Apple kid Fobbies are Borange-

Poe said on Mar. 23, 2010

Maybe Sarah will know what happened. Can anyone get in contact with her?

GmX said on Mar. 23, 2010

I love Jones soda. On a side note, I MUST HAVE THIS

TheJorsh said on Mar. 23, 2010

I was actually gonna make a thread about this on the Starmen forums a while back, but eventually forgot about it.
I’d also like to know why I haven’t seen the label yet.

Yomon said on Mar. 23, 2010

I have also been wondering about the soda bottles. I wanted to buy a case to collect for myself.

Darien said on Mar. 23, 2010

I don’t really need any more empty bottles in my house, but I sure would like the dang shoes themselves. I wish Vans would release them. :-)

santiagoff said on Mar. 23, 2010

Ooooh, this contest. It was kinda sad, there was this whole controversy about EB fans ruining the contest, but I think it was ok. It was also kinda sad that, after winning, nothing was ever heard about it again >:

Psi-Rockin said on Mar. 23, 2010

Wow Mato, I was actually standing in the beverage isle at my local supermarket TODAY thinking about the same thing! Your awesomeness has no bounds.

starstormer said on Mar. 23, 2010

I went to the supermarket yesterday and looked at the soda isle to see if I could see the EarthBound design on any of the Jones soda bottles. I didn’t see it on the bottles, they just had some random photographs in black and white on them.

neonix said on Mar. 23, 2010

I don’t see how people voting could ruin a contest that is based on votes.

Hopefully these bottles will show up at some point.

Someone said on Mar. 23, 2010

I thought that I read somewhere that they scrapped the label idea. Not sure where I read it or if I read it at all.

Joshua Johnson said on Mar. 23, 2010

I buy jones soda alot too. I have yet to see the label…. I dont know.

all I know is, this would be huge to get earthbound’s name out. But I havnt seen it yet. What DID happen?

Ginrei said on Mar. 23, 2010

Well, if the Jones site says it gets on 40,000 bottles… That’s not a large number, and I can’t imagine those bottles spread out too much. :\ PK SADNESS, I want one.

Tetra said on Mar. 23, 2010

I don’t care about the bottle, I want the shoes! D:

neonix said on Mar. 23, 2010

Hmm, if they simply scrapped he idea, someone should look into the terms of that contest and see if they actually reserved the right to do so, or if they made obligations to print those bottles. And then create a big stink about it :D

Portal-Kombat said on Mar. 23, 2010

Well, +1 for EarthBound!

MG said on Mar. 23, 2010

Stores around my town hardly even have Jones soda, so I couldn’t see if they actually printed it or not. :(

Kysafen said on Mar. 23, 2010

Suck on that, “Super Mario attempt at dominating another industry”!

Seriously, I’d totally buy them if Vans actually released that shoe design. F*ck yeah.

Darien said on Mar. 23, 2010

Oh yeah. Those shoes are awesome. Maybe she could work something out with Fangamer and get them made. Maybe? :-D

IWANNAPIZZAAIRFRESHENER said on Mar. 24, 2010

I was just really miffed that I never got those shoes, I entered every single day ~sigh~ oh well

meleemario said on Mar. 24, 2010

I love Jones Soda! Their cream soda blows IBC out of the water, though I suppose that depends on who you ask, but I think IBC cream soda is a little watered down. But I digress, I have yet to see this label show up on the soda bottles, and I get Jones’ quite a bit. Is the label exclusive to the Fufu Berry flavor as shown here, or is it on all the flavors?

kman said on Mar. 24, 2010

all that happend was the design went onto 40,000 bottles of jones soda, as for the shoes themselves, i have no idea

MoonSide said on Mar. 24, 2010

@neonix

Jones is a very shifty company. I bought cans of their soda for my lunchboxes and two in a pack of 15 or 20 was bulging, so my mom called them and asked them to do a chemical test for their own safety be be sure there was no botchulism present. They did a inspection of the cans (in their report) which they said the cans looked dented. No Chemical Test. To make up for the ‘problem’ they said they sent a present for me…well they lied again, we never got the goodie bag.

Tl;Dr:
Jones is a lying company due to my families personal experience. So I’m not surprised.

timmyt333 said on Mar. 25, 2010

wow u no i never knew who 1 that contest

Kalasad said on Mar. 25, 2010

I’ve been wondering about that contest. Every time I’m at the store I check to see if it’s there yet…

PKSTAMAN said on Mar. 25, 2010

Cool… That’s my whole comment.

GON said on Mar. 26, 2010

Goes to show you, there’s a massive amount of Earthbound fans out there that would love some…love.

Mashi said on Mar. 29, 2010

If I recall, there was a huge dramafest over this one guy’s entry. Supposedly, he had a terminal illness and folks were pitching fits that his design wasn’t winning over the EarthBound design.

I wonder if they had anything to do with this.

(God, I sound heartless. I apologize.)

DoseiSan said on Mar. 30, 2010

I go to a few super high class markets searching for this at least once a week, walls and walls of Jones soda but not a SINGLE label from ANYTHING in the contest. I’ve been at it since the day the contest ended (because I am a crazyman) and I can confirm that nothing came out of it yet. I’m guessing the dudes at Jones said it would get on labels to make people give a crap about their silly shoes contest aside from internet respect and it never went past that. Shame too, as I wanted EarthBound soda!

earthbound fan#1 said on Aug. 12, 2010

ah my favorite soda mixed with earthbound great combination!

Gronush said on Dec. 5, 2010

I’ve never even heard of jones soda must not be in my region and those shoes are awesome I love vans and earthbound those are my dream shoes