March 9th, 2010 | EarthBound, Fan Games, Hacking

Not too long ago Bozo posted a really cool hack on the PK Hack message board. Basically, the idea is this:

• You gain a level with every 1 EXP.
  • Every enemy gives 1 EXP.
  • At level 99, your game ends.

The challenge is to try to get as far as you can, defeating as few enemies as possible. This is difficult because youโ€™re gonna get hurt running away, and youโ€™re not going to get very much money at all.

After some tests and some fixing, the final patch was posted, and you can download it here!

I haven’t tried it myself, but the concept sounds really cool and I hope I can find time to play it sometime. If you try it out, be sure to post your experiences you have here or on the PK Hack forum thread!

35 Comments to EarthBound Level Challenge Hack!

meleemario said on Mar. 9, 2010

This sounds like an interesting little hack. I’ll have to fiddle with it this summer perhaps.

Haurspex said on Mar. 9, 2010

This is impossibly hard considering you really can’t level up very high, so forget defeating bosses… would love to see who finds the necessary ideas and tricks to get the farthest.

Kris said on Mar. 9, 2010

Could you get to like level 50-60 from the start, then only level up at bosses from that point forward?

Anonymous said on Mar. 10, 2010

You could alternate killing off characters to limit how many levels you gain. Plus you can kill many of the early bosses at low levels with a bit of luck. Just pretend you are doing a speed run or something. The later bosses are easy enough with MBRs.

JoeShmoe said on Mar. 10, 2010

Hot jeez, now THIS is what I call having a whole lot of free time, especially if you grind all the way to Lv. 99. o_O

Tansunn said on Mar. 10, 2010

@JoeShmoe – No, that would be the original game. In this one, every enemy you defeat instantly gives you a level up so you can quickly get to level 99, even before the fight against the Starman Jr.

liarxagerate said on Mar. 10, 2010

Wow, what a great idea.

Halloween said on Mar. 10, 2010

This sounds so awesome, I wonder how far one can possibly get? Could the game be beaten?

Kyoo said on Mar. 10, 2010

thankfully most the great items are free. I’d beat it easily if I wasn’t already playing a play through. maybe after I beat the one I’m doing now. I’ll beat this hack in a day probably ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve already got plans. this will be a nice phalanges I just got to remember that bosses have cohorts. so don’t count the bosses as 1xp. an example. the first boss has 2 cohorts. so that would be 3xp. so you’d have to just do math. and figure out how many bad guys. now think of the bad guys you have to fight. like the shark in front of the door to frank fly. and boom. you’re all set. and I think the last boss. you could have 98. because when you beat porky you don’t get xp. … oh damn it I just frogot about when you beat the nightmare… just a bit more math and I’ll have it found out.

Kyoo said on Mar. 10, 2010

hmmm spell check for some reason auto wrote phalanges when I wrote challenge. hahah I’m not talking about phalanges ๐Ÿ˜›

Uscdrew said on Mar. 10, 2010

Decorative title much?

shibaru said on Mar. 10, 2010

Wow O.o sounds pretty hard. I’ve started a few of my own hacks but I never finished any of them cuz I run out of ideas cuz I just made a lot of it up as I went along so I just have the basic overall changes I wanted with a few things changed and it makes no sense XD I’ll probly try making an interesting hack like the ones I’ve played once I get more used to PK hack

BroBuzz said on Mar. 10, 2010

Sound awsome.

BaG_2.0 said on Mar. 10, 2010

I sense a Let’s Play in my future, perhaps multiple Let’s Plays.

Sora444 said on Mar. 10, 2010

this reminds me of that Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge, how far can you get? I suggest we have contests to see how far anyone could get.

PKSTARMAN said on Mar. 10, 2010

Holy…
This is crazy!
1 EXP. of every enemy until Lv. 99?! Damn! This is the craziest Hack I have ever heard.

arnpoly said on Mar. 10, 2010

This sounds like a similar concept to a Sonic 2 hack I’ve heard about where if you collect 255 rings, you get Game Over, and they never reset to 0 if you die (they actually give you a ring for every death). I wish I was able to find that now. But this hack seems just as awesome and I want to give this a try sometime.

Captain Bozo said on Mar. 10, 2010

@arnpoly That was actually my inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚

arnpoly said on Mar. 10, 2010

Oh that’s neat! =) I admit the concept seems tailor-made for an RPG such as EarthBound. Now I’m even more interested to see how this works!

Sora444 said on Mar. 11, 2010

Someone should try with hack with Anti-Piracy Measures code on. ๐Ÿ˜€

A.R.M. said on Mar. 12, 2010

@Sora444

Ouch… now that, is evil.

SmaMan said on Mar. 13, 2010

Here’s something else evil… disable “run away”!

MG said on Mar. 17, 2010

That’d probably make it impossible to get past Twoson.

Starguy said on Mar. 19, 2010

@arnpoly

Do you mean sonic 2 unimpossible?

Captain Bozo said on Mar. 19, 2010

@Starguy he better be because that’s what I was talking about.

Mumphadumf said on Mar. 28, 2010

Can someone post a pre-patched version? When I patch it, after the naming screen I just get a bunch of random pixels.

SomeRandomNonRegisteredGuyWhoIsDarkYoshiOnHatena said on May. 3, 2010

@Sora&SMAman: Combine those and you have an evil. EVIL. Hack.

Ness said on Jun. 5, 2010

Wonder if you could beat Giygas. And like on Level 98. And after the giygas fight you go to lv 99.

conn3r said on Jun. 13, 2010

but if i remember correct you dont get EXP from beating giygas…

Airstriker2000 said on Jul. 13, 2010

Wow that looks cool

Airstriker2000 said on Jul. 13, 2010

anyone here know how to change the picture you have next to your name? If so tell me

Poe said on Jul. 13, 2010

Avatars are randomly generated when you sign up; there’s no way to change them.

Flint said on Jun. 7, 2011

….Looks cool. I just wanted to post something random and about how this game will be good and easy.
(Flint looks like Chuck Norris. How’d he pull that off?)

tboar said on Oct. 22, 2011

Looks so freakin’ awesome

commanderliamthx said on Jul. 25, 2013

I’d like this if the game didn’t end at level 99.