SpeedGamers EarthBound Marathon
Yesterday we took a look at the big EarthBound preview Nintendo Power had in issue #70. Today we check out issue #73, which has the REAL EarthBound article. I’m hesitant to call it a review since it’s like a lot of Nintendo Power stuff was back then – mostly meant to showcase stuff to consumers.
Like I mentioned before, the preview in issue #70 is what convinced me to buy the game, but it was this huge feature that doubly cemented that decision.
The quality of these scans is nice, but I’d love to have better ones, especially ones that don’t have the problems on the edges. Would anyone be willing to make better scans of this stuff for posterity? Fellow EarthBound fans will love you for it 😛
In the same issue, in the Now Playing section, is a little blurb about EarthBound:
It’s a shame I don’t have any of my old NPs anymore, this stuff is really cool. I don’t think you can order issues this old from Nintendo Power anymore either, so probably places like eBay and Amazon are the best place to find them now.
Anyway, it’s neat to see some of the last-minute changes they made between the time this issue was put together and the game’s release. The pencil statue was still an octopus until the very last minute it seems. Threek was Threed by now, and given that it was Threek in other magazines’ previews, the change must’ve happened in the first few months of 1995.
You can also see a slight text bug in one of Paula’s lines where a line break was missing, the big moles still call themselves “owners” instead of “masters” of the cave in the desert. And Dr. Andonuts’ lab still says “LABO” as it does in MOTHER 2.
I’m sure I’ve missed a bunch of changes, though. What other stuff can you spot?
Other Related Posts:
40 Comments to EarthBound in Nintendo Power #73
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...