March 18th, 2010 | EarthBound

The folks over at 1UP.com talk about EarthBound from time to time. This time it’s in a new article called Posthumous Cult Gaming, which looks at a few cult favorites and how fans have kept them alive over the years.

Very briefly, it has:

• An interview with Reid
  • A look at how the EarthBound fan community came about
  • Some of the projects that fans have done
  • A surprising lack of “The Screenshot” 😛

Check it out sometime. It also covers Chrono Trigger and Deus Ex, if you happen to like those!

9 Comments to 1UP.com: Posthumous Cult Gaming

Ninji said on Mar. 18, 2010

Hmmm… I never knew Reid started SM.NET from a small little blog, but more importantly, he was a MIDDLE-SCHOOLER back then?! Strange, but I wish 1-UP did more coverage on EarthBound, they really did their homework making this! 😛

Gianluca said on Mar. 18, 2010

Great article (maybe ’cause I like Chrono trigger and Deus Ex too), it’s always a great thing find websites that talks about Mother series!
And yes, it’s better if they’ll add THE screenshot 😛

Mato said on Mar. 18, 2010

Ninji: Technically reid’s site (which wasn’t a blog either, I don’t even know if they existed back then) didn’t become SM.Net, but it’s just easier to explain it that way. reid’s original site is archived here, btw:

Psi-Rockin said on Mar. 18, 2010

Downloading “The Nameless Mod” for Deus Ex right now. Damn It’s a nice day, too bad I have to play this! Thanks again Mato for a great post!

neonix said on Mar. 18, 2010

Wow, I forgot all about that archive page! It’s funny to look through it again and see how cheesy some stuff is, but how sincere the whole site was as well. Ahh, good old fan pages, great memories.

Mato, you should definitely add that archive to the Cool Stuff page.

Portal-Kombat said on Mar. 18, 2010

Awesome stuff. BTW, I finished Chrono Trigger for the first time last weekend 😀 and I’d say it’s in my Top 10 games list.

Vetauciont said on Mar. 19, 2010

Earthbound will always be my favorite game and hold a special place in my heart, but Deus Ex is definitely an A+ game with a cool soundtrack which I enjoy playing from time to time.

Soiherduliekeb said on Mar. 19, 2010

Just like Veta, I will never back down when it comes to the mother series, you just can’t pick a favorite…. Lucas lost his mom, you feel sorry for him, Ninten, never gets any attention it seems, Ness…..the only one who made it into America

Lol said on Mar. 20, 2010

CULTS!! what the heck.. it is just a video game!
THAT I LOVE VERY VERY VERY
VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH.
but not as much as me wanting to praise it!

Find Merchandise!