February 14th, 2010 | Weekly Round-Up

Another exciting week for EarthBound merchandise collectors, what with an EarthBound Zero prototype for sale, another EB display card, mini Mr. Saturns showing up everywhere, and then the mint condition EarthBound with super-rare promotional materials that sold for $500 ๐Ÿ˜ฏ It’s kind of sad that there probably won’t be much more in the way of EarthBound/MOTHER games, but at least we still have neat merchandise showing up like this!

Okay, let’s see what EarthBound-ish stuff has happened elsewhere on the web!

Community News

Sometimes I see dead people so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if youโ€™ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

Another awesome week for EarthBound merchandise collectors. Here’s some stuff from this past week that might be worth checking out.

You can also see all the EarthBound / MOTHER stuff on eBay all gathered in one handy place here!

And here are some of the new mini Mr. Saturn plushes:

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

And stuff on Amazon:

Whatโ€™s Up With Itoi

• Itoi said that some people overseas sent him e-mails about how he’s horrible for raising his Jack Russell Terrier in an apartment in crowded Tokyo instead of a wide open area like a farm. Itoi spent his entire post that day explaining how he disagrees and how wonderful his experience raising his dog Bouillon has been. He really loves and worships that dog, so I think that e-mail must’ve made him mad.
  • Every time the Olympics take place, someone from Itoi’s office is shut in a special room in the office called something like “Cafe Olympic” and they sit there and watch the Olympics all day and all night and talk about it on Itoi’s site. They even bring in sleeping bags and provisions. The Beijing games weren’t so long ago, so the “cafe” still had its sign on the door and everything.

Final Thought

I think I’m almost out of Where’s Ness stuff, which is sad. This week, I thought I’d show off some of the new banner ads for EarthBound Central that readers have been making ๐Ÿ˜€

(these images are squished down to fit on this page, click them to enlarge)

(I made this one ๐Ÿ˜› )

That’s not all of them; I still need to add some more and I might’ve missed a few. But so far it’s been a lot of fun working on these ads and seeing what people come up with.

If you want to make your own goofy banner ad for the site, see here!

28 Comments to Weekly Round-Up: #57

Elobo said on Feb. 14, 2010

Oh hey Tomato, I redid that “Barf Your Guts Up” banner on the site with black text instead of graded for the first three panels… I think it looks better since I ended up ruining my effects with gif conversion in that one.

I’m really liking what came out of that topic so far. This is one of the few sites where the ads really ctch your eyes. Especially Piggy Jelly, ha ha.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2010

Okay, cool, I’ll put the new one up later today.

And yeah, I’ve seen people comment on other sites about the Piggy Jelly one ๐Ÿ˜›

Komaru said on Feb. 14, 2010

Oh, that crazy NAViGaTR.
What will he do next?

Wafffo! said on Feb. 14, 2010

EarthBound.
Because eating pizza while bashing piles of living vomit is sweet.
lol these are awesome banner thingies zoom!

P Philosophy said on Feb. 14, 2010

I really love the banners on this site. They make the site stand out from the others. Also makes the site very unique.

Hee hee…some, I’ll admit, I enjoy watching loop but I always have to stop and check out each and every one while navigating this site. Keep out the awesome work!

Sisto said on Feb. 14, 2010

Happy, Valentine’s Day, Mato.
And yeah, those banners are really cool. I especially like the NAViGaTR one. (I really hate NAViGaTR, but now he’s being put to a good use.)

Sora444 said on Feb. 14, 2010

@Komaru

I’m surpised he didn’t propose to Nintendo to make Earthbound 2 where Paula gets breast cancer.

Komaru said on Feb. 14, 2010

At Sora444:
He did, but he pitched it to Nicole Kassell instead. Now they’re making a movie about it.

Ninji said on Feb. 14, 2010

Hey Mato!! I made a banner, posted it on your board/forum thing, posted it as ThunderMite, ^__^ (Also, I hate that NAViGaTR guy!!)

NeonSquid said on Feb. 14, 2010

The pizza one is awesome!

Gurp said on Feb. 14, 2010

I like the one you made, and really laughed at that Evony parody.

neonix said on Feb. 14, 2010

I hate being out of the loop. I googled and see what NAViGaTR is, but who the hell is “that NAViGaTR guy”?

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2010

He shows up in some of the videos. I made that ad from the EB review:

neonix said on Feb. 14, 2010

Oh LOL thanks Mato. That was pretty funny. Any reason the sound gets cut off? And why exactly do people hate him?

Darien said on Feb. 14, 2010

The Evony-spoofing Venus banner is awesome. Props to whomever made that.

I love that people sent Itoi mail criticising him for not raising his dog the way they’d want to raise theirs. What loons.

Ninji said on Feb. 14, 2010

@neonix Because he gives garbage reviews of games, he doesn’t even get into detail, and he’s really annoying, he doesn’t give his ratings, or his final thought, he just talks nonsense for two to five minutes, he doesn’t really get the point of the games, he just throws random trivia out there, also, the sound got cut off was because of a mess up in the video editing, here’s the link to the fixed version if you still feel like watching his crap… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkX1o81KEkU&feature=fvw

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2010

Yeah, here’s the fixed version, plus another thing about EB:

Roo said on Feb. 14, 2010

I’m not going to lie. That NAViGaTR Guy ad is creepy, but at the same time beautiful.

… but mostly creepy.

Elobo said on Feb. 14, 2010

Yeah, about his dog, that’s pretty typical of the Internet… everyone seems to be a self-taught veterinarian and dog psychologist on the ‘net. Just read any youtube comment where a dog might look tired or make an odd face. Someone will say he’s either crippled with illness or abused, ha ha.

People just need to feel scandalized by something or they start being constructive, I guess.

neonix said on Feb. 14, 2010

Yea, after watching both those videos fully, I can see what you mean Ninji. He has no clue what he’s talking about. But at least that pizza thing is funny.

PK Mudkip said on Feb. 14, 2010

THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE AWESOMENESS (if that even is possible cause this site is awesome already)

Hejiru said on Feb. 14, 2010

Lol the Evony spoof is awesome!

The Nameless Worthless Protoplasm Friend Doctor said on Feb. 14, 2010

That Evony spoof add is gold!

Great job to all the add-makers out there!

Halloween said on Feb. 15, 2010

LOL the grossout words one is like how Nintendo would advertise it.
I love all the ads, maybe the runaway dog one might be 1% funnier if it was a crow (because they steal items)

Gummidge said on Feb. 15, 2010

Can I just say?

That person who bought the $70 EB cart earlier last week…

I HATE YOU.