February 7th, 2010 | Weekly Round-Up

This past week was weird, it was like “EarthBound Collectors Week” or something. The EarthBound display card for $305, LucasTizma and the $3000 addition to his collection, and the new mini Mr. Saturn plushes. I don’t have much of a collection, but I really like keeping up with this stuff and seeing other people’s collections.

Anyway, here’s what other EarthBound-related stuff has happened this past week throughout the information super-tubeway.

Community News

My face melted, so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if youโ€™ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

The big EarthBound merch news this past week was the EarthBound display card that sold for $305 and the new mini Mr. Saturns that hit Japanese arcades. But here’s some other interesting stuff that showed up this week in case you missed it.

Of course, you can also see all the EarthBound / MOTHER stuff on eBay all gathered in one handy place here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

And stuff on Amazon:

Whatโ€™s Up With Itoi

• Nothing too much of interest this week. For some reason it seemed like it was “unusual headwear week” though.

Final Thought

The Where’s Ness stuff is running low, so this may be one of the last ones unless readers send some more in. This week’s looks pretty interesting, see what you can find!

18 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #56

Edward said on Feb. 7, 2010

easy find ness
but what is that mother 4 thing

Ninji said on Feb. 7, 2010

That MOTHER 3 For Haiti Mini-thon sounds awesome!! Also, about the “Where’s Ness?” Ness is between a beach chair and a New Age Retro Hippie, Jeff is in front of the white truck, and behind a cop and a bear, Poo is cornered by a Mighty Bear and a Cop (or a Mighty Bear Seven), Paula is in the line, and in front of one of the barricades, Ness’s hat is hidden in the crowd of Fobbies, and Ness’s backpack is in the biggest palm tree nearest to the Trick-Or-Treat Kid ๐Ÿ˜€

neonix said on Feb. 7, 2010

I like some of those memorable quotes.

14. “Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.” (Guybrush Threepwood, The Secret of Monkey Island)

Too bad if you do find a video game for under $20 these days, it’s either really crappy or really old, or both.

Omnomnominous said on Feb. 7, 2010

Just out of interest, how are these ‘Where’s Ness’/Fluke pictures made? I’m sure it’s possible to just find something for the background in-game, then download and insert each individual sprite using Photoshop or similar – but is there some kind of software people use so this stuff is easier to make?(Apologies for newb question :P)

Hejiru said on Feb. 7, 2010

@ Edward

It’s pretty much just saying “will we ever have a Mother 4?” and quotes the Itoi interviews.

Mato said on Feb. 7, 2010

Omnomnominous: I think doing it manually just like you said is the only way to do it. There’s something called the “Fluke Maker” in the flukes section of starmen.net that has a bunch of sprites and other graphics, use them with a paint program to make stuff.

I’ve always kind of wanted an online Flash thing where you could make your own stuff and easily save it/share it, but I don’t know the first thing about Flash.

neonix said on Feb. 7, 2010

As for making Where’s Ness pics, MS Paint is usually the app of choice for sprite making, but for this case, something that supports layers (Photoshop, or GIMP) would make it easier to go back and rearrange things to make a new one.

This might help Mac users: http://www.silverstreaksoftware.com/spriteComicHelper.html

Unfortunately, I can’t find an easy app for Windows or any other OS.

As another note, this is kind of what Mato is talking about: http://www.homestarrunner.com/stinko_comic.html

Omnomnominous said on Feb. 7, 2010

@Mato, Neonix

Thanks. ๐Ÿ˜€ Mato, the online application idea sounds good – although I don’t know anything about Flash programming either. The best I did was a short stop-motion animation thing I made for a competition at school, with only one tiny bit of scripting(a play button). Glad to see I’m not the only one with little knowledge of Flash, as I was starting to believe everyone older than 14 was some kind of expert on all that stuff :O

Darien said on Feb. 7, 2010

I’m a fair deal past fourteen, and I’ve personally never touched Flash. If it makes you feel any better.

Sorry to hear about your face, Mato. Shadow priest get you?

Komaru said on Feb. 7, 2010

Oh man, I would totally be up to making a flash version of the fluke maker.

neonix said on Feb. 7, 2010

That would be awesome Komaru. You should do it.

Dadalama said on Feb. 7, 2010

Itoi looks pimp in those hats on top

nekoaitsu said on Feb. 8, 2010

Thanks for the link to that relief effort site! I was looking for something trustworthy to donate towards the Haiti relief effort, and hopefully that site was it. More people should donate. ๐Ÿ˜€

Nekogarasusususususu su su su su su su su SU said on Feb. 8, 2010

Itoi-chan is going bald wwwwww

Nekogarasusususususu su su su su su su su SU said on Feb. 8, 2010

Also wow,
a comic by the designer? that’s amazing. Is there more “semi official” I guess things like that? That one in particular looks quite ugly style but what about the person who came up with the sprite style?

Would love a section on these guys.

Mato said on Feb. 8, 2010

I don’t have time to look through everything and see what’s “semi-official” or not, but some of the M1 and M2 guides were made by people who worked on the games, and I’ve read interviews with them where they said they put so much into the guides that they have even more fond memories of working on the guides than the games themselves ๐Ÿ˜›

conn3r said on Feb. 8, 2010

the mother 3 for haiti sounds intresting….i think i’ll join in ๐Ÿ˜€

Andy said on Feb. 8, 2010

above me i agree i might join