Fake MOTHER 3 DS Trailer
In MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero, the Bread item can be eaten like any normal food to restore HP, but it can also be used to make a trail of bread crumbs. What’s neat about that is that you can warp back to the start of the trail.
Obviously this is nothing new; anyone who plays the game will probably read about it at some point in the game and possibly use it once or twice after getting lost on the huge game map. But game guru Floogal posted some interesting uses for bread in EarthBound Zero that many people might not have thought of:
Some information about bread, for those not enlightened about its awesome properties:
- Its range is virtually unlimited. Start dropping crumbs in Podunk, walk to Ellay, and you can instantly warp home. Note that riding a vehicle or teleporting somehow (PSI, Onyx Hook, pink shell) resets your warp point, but little else does. A game over does not alter your warp point.
- Each party member can maintain their own individual crumb trails at the same time.
So, here’s the classic procedure for saving your progress through a dungeon:
- one person starts a crumb trail at the nearest save phone/hotel
- another person keeps some bread handy. If your resources are wearing thin, start a trail at your current location. Now you can use your first trail to warp back to the hotel to restock & rest, restart the trail at the phone/hotel, and use your second trail to instantly warp back to where you were in the dungeon. If you die instead, you can still warp back to where you were.
- the third party member can use his/her breadcrumbs for quick detours. Going to that deadend for its item? Start a third trail where you break from the main path, and instantly get back to your route after collecting the item
Suddenly, Duncan’s Factory isn’t so cumbersome to completely explore. And the janitor has a lot of mess to clean up.
Probably the best, most specific time to use breadcrumbs:
Right before activating the cutscene in the healer’s house on Mt. Ioti, set some crumbs (must be Ninten or Ana, not Teddy). After the cutscene, grab Lloyd, and then use the crumbs. You’re back at the healer’s house! No having to navigate the caves twice!!
Oh, don’t forget this glitch.
It’s neat that such a simple item like a piece of bread can be used in such interesting ways. I bet you could even make a puzzle game entirely out of this gameplay mechanic!
Other Related Posts:
25 Comments to The Awesome Power of Bread
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.