***EARTHBOUND SNES SUPER NINTENDO GAME COSMETIC WEAR~~~

February 25th, 2010 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

In MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero, the Bread item can be eaten like any normal food to restore HP, but it can also be used to make a trail of bread crumbs. What’s neat about that is that you can warp back to the start of the trail.

Obviously this is nothing new; anyone who plays the game will probably read about it at some point in the game and possibly use it once or twice after getting lost on the huge game map. But game guru Floogal posted some interesting uses for bread in EarthBound Zero that many people might not have thought of:

Some information about bread, for those not enlightened about its awesome properties:

• Its range is virtually unlimited. Start dropping crumbs in Podunk, walk to Ellay, and you can instantly warp home. Note that riding a vehicle or teleporting somehow (PSI, Onyx Hook, pink shell) resets your warp point, but little else does. A game over does not alter your warp point.
  • Each party member can maintain their own individual crumb trails at the same time.

So, here’s the classic procedure for saving your progress through a dungeon:

• one person starts a crumb trail at the nearest save phone/hotel
    • another person keeps some bread handy. If your resources are wearing thin, start a trail at your current location. Now you can use your first trail to warp back to the hotel to restock & rest, restart the trail at the phone/hotel, and use your second trail to instantly warp back to where you were in the dungeon. If you die instead, you can still warp back to where you were.
    • the third party member can use his/her breadcrumbs for quick detours. Going to that deadend for its item? Start a third trail where you break from the main path, and instantly get back to your route after collecting the item

Suddenly, Duncan’s Factory isn’t so cumbersome to completely explore. And the janitor has a lot of mess to clean up.

Probably the best, most specific time to use breadcrumbs:

Right before activating the cutscene in the healer’s house on Mt. Ioti, set some crumbs (must be Ninten or Ana, not Teddy). After the cutscene, grab Lloyd, and then use the crumbs. You’re back at the healer’s house! No having to navigate the caves twice!!

Oh, don’t forget this glitch.

It’s neat that such a simple item like a piece of bread can be used in such interesting ways. I bet you could even make a puzzle game entirely out of this gameplay mechanic!

25 Comments to The Awesome Power of Bread

Chas Guidry said on Feb. 25, 2010

I love stuff like this. Floogal has brought a lot of awareness to the inner-workings of the MOTHER games.

Wulf said on Feb. 25, 2010

Probably been said before, but just in case:

neonix said on Feb. 25, 2010

Hmm, that’s good to know. Still haven’t played EB0, so I’ll have to keep this in mind.

darkhamsterlord said on Feb. 25, 2010

I never knew each party member could leave their own trail. I’ll have to keep this in mind next time I play, it should make the game a lot easier at certain points.

Mato said on Feb. 25, 2010

Whoa, Wulf and neonix have the same randomly selected sprite. Neat.

Earthbound_X said on Feb. 25, 2010

Great, now I want to play Mother 1 again, damn you!!!

Hehe.

Ninji said on Feb. 25, 2010

LOL, Hanzel and Gretel were awesome enough to get their own little parody in EB0, that’s saying a LOT for a folktale… I’ll keep this in mind when I start EB0 on Friday, It’s strange how I played the entire series in backwards order, first I played a whole load of EarthBound, and I stopped at Magicant because of Ness’s nightmare, then I played and finished MOTHER 3, then I finished EarthBound, and now I’m about to start EB0, so I went 3 2 1 😀

santiagoff said on Feb. 25, 2010

@Ninji: Actually, I think most people play the games in any order other than the chronological one. Quite strange, right? lol

Ninji said on Feb. 25, 2010

Yeah, usually they play in order from most fun and most cool, to most strange, weird, unpopular, and boring 😛

MG said on Feb. 25, 2010

That would be pretty neat, the puzzle game based entirely on the usage of Bread/Crumbs. I know absolutely nothing about hacking, but it would be neat to see.

no name given said on Feb. 25, 2010

let’s hope no birds eat the crumbs

Ice Sage said on Feb. 25, 2010

Um…I played them in order. MOTHER 1 also happens to be my absolute favorite game, so I’m sorry for liking such a boring and unpopular game.

Just goes to show that you shouldn’t judge anything until you’ve fully experienced it, right?

Chrissii said on Feb. 25, 2010

@Ice Sage I don’t think he meant any offense! In fact, most people on here probably like M1 just as much as you do, but facts are that the majority heard about EB first and found the series that way.

I really wish I had thought to use this in my playthrough!! Game is effin hard, even with the easy patch. XD Ah well, at least I have some awesome ideas for next time. 😛

Zinco said on Feb. 26, 2010

Haha, no, no one likes Mother 1 as much as Ice Sage, probably.

SmaMan said on Feb. 26, 2010

The each character can leave crumbs thing is new on me as well. I’m stuck at the Duncan Factory as well, and I’ve been using them to get back to town to heal, but now I see I can use them to get back to where I was as well!

No wonder bread is one of the major food groups! 😀

missy said on Feb. 26, 2010

I always knew about this, but never rly used it. I think I ought to try it next play though

Ninji said on Feb. 26, 2010

@ Ice Sage, Chrissii is absolutely right!! I mean no offense whatsoever, I just made up that theory for some game series like Final Fantasy, but not directed towads M1, because it’s kick-ass along with the other games, just a little bit odd with it’s 8-bit graphics and such, also Chrissii is also right who everybody in the EarthBound community heard about EarthBound or MOTHER 3 first. So, if I caused any offense to you M1 fanboys, then I am truly sorry, and have a nice day! 😀 (last part was weird I know)

Master Chicken said on Feb. 26, 2010

I never thought of using Bread in such…elaborate ways, but now that I see them I realize how obvious they could have been.

Definitely using that dungeon-save bit and the skipping Itoi caves in my next playthrough.

neonix said on Feb. 26, 2010

I’d say the idea of MOTHER being “boring” to the unplayer is mostly because it doesn’t look so appealing compared to M2 and M3, with it’s 8-bit graphics and all. Plus, if you never played it, and don’t know about it’s story really, you might even just think EarthBound was a remake of it.

That makes me wonder now–I know Earth Bound (zero) was covered in at least one gaming magazine from a scan I’ve seen online–Did anyone in the US actually read about EB0 at the time and wait only to see it not released?

PK Mt. Fuji said on Feb. 26, 2010

See YouTube Let’s Player #61912, save states AREN’T nessesary to beat the game faster.

JamesBond007 said on Feb. 26, 2010

Bread Crumbs = Farore’s Wind?

Ice Sage said on Feb. 26, 2010

I didn’t take offense at anything; actually, I’m saying that because it seems a lot of people lately have been saying that MOTHER 1 looks boring and hard because it’s old. I thought the same way for a while – I was just going to skip MOTHER 1 and play 2 and 3, but then I changed my mind.

The point is that I thought I’d hate it too before I played it, but then I changed my mind completely after I did play it.

As to whether I love the game too much/I’m the biggest fan, I think that’s a bit much. I was just trying to dispell some of the presumptions floating around. 😛

SmaMan said on Feb. 26, 2010

@neonix
I know our very own Mato did… and he can recall the event quite vividly. (Knows exactly where he was, what he was doing, etc.

clausman said on Mar. 23, 2010

who knew bread was so helpful.

The Commander said on Jul. 26, 2010

And of course, my mom thinks bread is evil. Orz