February 17th, 2010 | EarthBound

Do you like EarthBound? Want to possibly see it on the Virtual Console? Then grab a postcard, write a simple message asking for it, and send it to Japan!

Background

Things look kind of disheartening for fans of EarthBound; the EarthBound demo was stripped from Smash Bros. Brawl, word is NOA doesn’t want to release EarthBound on the Virtual Console, series creator Shigesato Itoi continues to say he won’t make any more games in the series, EarthBound cart prices are getting ridiculous, with loose carts going for $130 and complete sets selling for $300+, sometimes even over $1000. Even the box by itself sells for $80. Interest in the game is high, but it’s getting harder and harder to even play it legally.

Pretty much everyone in the Western gaming world knows EarthBound has a strong following, but it’s Nintendo’s Japanese headquarters (NCL) that pulls the strings and decides what gets released and what doesn’t. If NCL can be persuaded that there’s a demand for EarthBound, maybe there’s still hope for a Virtual Console release. It wouldn’t be difficult for NCL to make changes to the game if necessary; it’d only take an hour or two and a few changed bytes.

What to do

If you’re a fan of EarthBound and want to show support for the series, here’s what you can do.

1. Get a postcard, one that features the name of your locale is best. It’ll feel more personal and postcards being sent from all around the world will have more of an impact.
  2. Write a simple message, just a sentence or two or three long. Write it in normal text, NOT cursive. Use very simple words. Say you’re a fan of EarthBound (MOTHER 2) and that you’d like it on the Virtual Console. Just keep in mind that the people reading these will only understand basic English. If you’re skilled enough at Japanese, go ahead and write your message in Japanese, but it’s not necessary. If you want to draw a little Mr. Saturn or Ness or whatever, that’s fine too.
  3. For the address, put this:

Nintendo Company, Ltd.
    11-1 Kamitoba-hokotate-cho, Minami-ku
    Kyoto 601-8501
    Japan
  4. Sending a postcard to Japan will probably cost a little more than usual, so stop by the post office and send it from there.

Example

Since I’m in Florida, here’s an example postcard I’ve done:

Conclusion

This isn’t one of those “sieges” where people get crazy and go overboard. If you’re simply a fan of the series and want to support it, then consider sending a simple, heartfelt message to the people that can make a difference. It’s not hard, and at the very least someone will get to see your neat or funny postcard from around the world. And if we’re lucky, maybe fans won’t have to spend hundreds of dollars or resort to piracy to play EarthBound anymore.

89 Comments to Postcards for EarthBound

darkhamsterlord said on Feb. 17, 2010

This makes me wish I wasn’t slacking so much with learning Japanese, so I could write mine in a language they’ll understand with more ease.

Oh well, English will suffice, I suppose.

Roo said on Feb. 17, 2010

My head tells me this won’t make a lick of difference. But my heart is already planning to pick up a postcard tomorrow.

Hell, even if word of all these postcards gets to Shigesato Itoi and reminds him of how widespread his fans really are, then I think it’s worth it.

Darien said on Feb. 17, 2010

I’m fairly sure NCL is well aware of the persistence of the Mother fan base, so, on the one hand, I have to agree with Roo — it probably isn’t going to accomplish anything. On the other hand, of course, it’s cheap and easy and fun, and, from a content creator’s point of view, it’s always awesome to get fan mail. So there’s really no reason not to do it.

Unless, of course, you live someplace lame, and you’re ashamed to send a postcard for your location. Which I could understand. So you could always just send an odd old-timey postcard like this one.

neonix said on Feb. 17, 2010

Wait! You should print out one of the postcards form here: http://starmen.net/ebsiege/pkmailn/allcards/

I know they were meant for the sieges, but they still work here and make the message more powerful and apparent.

Better yet, you could hand-draw up your own card. Even if you’re not very good at drawing, a crappy Mr. Saturn (easy to draw!) or Ness would suffice and really show your enthusiasm.

Poe said on Feb. 17, 2010

neonix – the point of this postcard thing is to show that there are fans from all over the place, which is why it’s important that you choose a postcard that features your location on the front. It’s easier than finding card stock and a good printer and you can still draw a little something on the back if you want.

BroBuzz said on Feb. 17, 2010

Sweet, I’m so gonna do this!

WhatsHerFace said on Feb. 17, 2010

I think I might do this. If I can’t find a Postcard for my locale, maybe I’ll make one for it; I do have some Make-your-own-Postcard whatnots. :D

And even if it doesn’t make a difference, I’m sure it’ll be fun, even if all we do is remind NoJ that “Hey! We’re here!!”

shibaru said on Feb. 17, 2010

Sounds interesting…
I WANNA TRY!!! >8D
…Though nothing I ever want to mail ever actually gets mailed…

MG said on Feb. 17, 2010

I’m probably going to try to do mine in Japanese, even I don’t speak or write it. To Google Translate!

Mother 4 said on Feb. 17, 2010

Roo, go buy like a thousand postcards and send them Moneybags.

Mister Crosser said on Feb. 17, 2010

no! No MG!

Anonymous said on Feb. 17, 2010

MG, DON’T! It will come out horribly, horribly mangled and totally unreadable and then Japanese people will laugh at you. :c

Starman 99 said on Feb. 17, 2010

If you’re going to do it in Japanese, at least give ‘em a laugh by using Translation Party.

Keiji Dragon / OKei said on Feb. 17, 2010

Tomorrow, I’m gonna go to my local Wal-Mart, and get one postcard specifically to send to NCL. Finally, we’re aiming at the right place to make our voices known for a VC release of EarthBound.

Chrissii said on Feb. 17, 2010

I have to agree with Roo here… I doubt it will work, but I really want to do it regardless. Just to express my love <3 I've never really done any of the siege stuff in the past (I did a PK Callin' like… once.. years ago… and many, MANY years before that sent an envelope art/letter to Nintendo Power) so I think it'd be nice to do. :)

Poe said on Feb. 17, 2010

Walmart would be the best place to look, yeah. I tried some gas stations and they didn’t even sell postcards. I finally found a bunch at Walmart.

Nintendavin said on Feb. 17, 2010

It hurts me to have to beg to get Nintendo to simply add a game to their VC list… Nintendo… This entire situation truly is ridiculous.

neonix said on Feb. 17, 2010

I guess I should read the entire article more thoroughly before commenting…

In that case, I recommend everyone draw a little EB-related doodle on the back with their message!

Mister Crosser said on Feb. 17, 2010

(Mother 2) Please her virtual America. Announced a series console.

Tetra said on Feb. 17, 2010

I’m sending one. :]

Themangler said on Feb. 17, 2010

A postcard? Seems fun. Good thingg my friend owes me. I can get him to buy me a post card and send it to NCL after I`m done with it. Don`t really care what happens I just want to tell mr. Itoi i luv him for what he`s done.

Poe said on Feb. 17, 2010

Themangler – Itoi doesn’t work for NCL, so he’ll probably never see your postcard. If you want to tell Itoi something, here’s his site’s email address: postman@1101.com

MarioFan3 said on Feb. 17, 2010

Maybe we should send in three cards?
One for Mother1 on VC, one for Mother2 on VC, then the third one for Mother3. :D
I want to see what kind of censorship they would put for them, especially 3.
I imagine that they would drastically change the story-line, change the graphics, although then they’d probably just release it as a completely different game. :(

Husky said on Feb. 18, 2010

I’d love to do this but getting a postcard depicting where I live would be kind of difficult. Maybe I can convince my parents back home to write one for me :P

santiagoff said on Feb. 18, 2010

This reminds me of that time you asked us to do the same but with the Mr Saturn plushies =3

Chrono said on Feb. 18, 2010

xD! This is so awesome, I”ll try to find a California post card.

8BitWalugi said on Feb. 18, 2010

Now I need to send one! This is an excellent idea!

sigh said on Feb. 18, 2010

yeeeeeahh….. this won’t do anything.

I’m sorry but it needs to be said. After everything the Earthbound community has done, for well over a decade to get Nintendo to do what we want with Earthbound… not the least of which was make a huge, professionally bound art book with a multi-CD set soundtracks sent straight to Nintendo’s office, petitions out the wazoo, and placing first in consistent “most wanted” polls….

And the big plan now, is to send postcards?

Have Earthbound fans truly sunk to ideas as ridiculous as this, with any seriousness? Postcards? Seriously?

In all honesty, this looks far less like a serious attempt at being noticed anymore, and more like a pathetic, throwing up of the hands from the fan community, and officially saying “Alright, we give up” by just making a half-hearted joke about it? I mean… a-wha… huh… a-ji… whuh? Seriously? Like, for totally serious? Postcards?!

*facepalm*

I think this is the first legitimate sign that the fanbase may truly well be falling apart and dissolving like sugar into an aquarium.

Satsy said on Feb. 18, 2010

sigh: This isn’t a siege like the call’n, mail’n and all, and it’s not going to NoA, which at least tried to release Mother 2 anyway. NCL’s what stops it now, and frankly we’ve got nothing to lose by sending a postcard saying we like the series. You don’t have to expect an end result, just let them know you’re there.

If we’re all polite and pleasant, it’ll make them feel all gooey inside. :)

Edward said on Feb. 18, 2010

ill get my postcard in a few hours

resetsurvivor said on Feb. 18, 2010

How fun!

Chrissii said on Feb. 18, 2010

@sigh: Sorry, guess we all missed the memo that you shouldn’t thank someone for giving you something that’s been important to you and had a lasting impression on your life, unless you are going to get something out of it in return. :|

Chris said on Feb. 18, 2010

Finally, a simple way to express my love for EarthBound! I love this idea!

Pimpshi said on Feb. 18, 2010

sigh: Is the fanbase really falling apart if a majority of us still want to share our love for the series with Nintendo?

It’s not a big plan. As Satsy (and Mato before him) said, it’s nothing like the sieges. It may have a similar motivation behind it, but the goal of sending postcards to NCL is to raise awareness. To show them that we’re fans, that we’re global, and that we love the game. Mentioning Virtual Console is another way of showing that love – if old games are being re-released for current-gen systems, it makes sense to comment about desire to see those games become more accessible if you’re a fan.

Will it happen? Popular belief is no, and you hit the nail on the head as far as that goes. But fans are not sinking to a new low by expressing their appreciation for a game, especially if the effect on the recipient will most likely be “Wow, who knew it was this global?”.

It’s more about showing that we don’t forget and still truly enjoy playing the game than it is demanding that they try to rekindle the series. That’s something everyone would like, of course, and we’ll state that since it’s on our minds, but this isn’t a crazed demand. It’s also something the fanbase can do together, keeping a community of Earthbound fans connected in action instead of dissolving like sugar into obscurity. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Looking forward to sending a postcard to Japan! This’ll be a first for me. :)

Ok said on Feb. 18, 2010

I so wanna do this!

Omnomnominous said on Feb. 18, 2010

Nice, this sounds like a great way of showing Japan we haven’t forgotten about Earthbound. I would send a postcard, but my mom’s a little funny about stuff like that. For the record, though, I live in England so it’s definitely true that the Mother series’ appeal is global. :)

neonix said on Feb. 18, 2010

Ok guys, as another Floridian, I found a great Florida postcard with a hot beach babe on it! Maybe that will convince them.

Mr. Nosy said on Feb. 18, 2010

I know only a bit of Nipponese, but I would send one post-card if I had the resources/permission.

Ricardo said on Feb. 18, 2010

neonix: nice idea! It would be a good idea to send em’ a Peru postcard.

Ricardo said on Feb. 18, 2010

sigh: Sorry, but your comment was lost in the darkness.

Claus said on Feb. 18, 2010

This gives me hope. I’ll check this out and see what I can do.

Hiro-chimera said on Feb. 18, 2010

Decorate your letter with sparkles. :p
And don’t lose hope cause 1. E3 is coming this summer.
2. Earthbounds 15th birthday this summer.
Everyone pray and hope the world hears you prayers so giygas can stop controlling nintendo to not release earthbound on vc.

[...] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink [...]

Claremonster said on Feb. 18, 2010

where doing this man

where making this hapen

Niow said on Feb. 18, 2010

sweet

Doseisan said on Feb. 18, 2010

I’ll pick a postcard up. I frequent NYC, so it shouldn’t be too hard for me to find a postcard relevant to my location that would get the point across. I’ll draw a little Mr. Saturn on the back, too.

Is there a message I should include to make it easily understandable?

Ice warrior said on Feb. 18, 2010

This is gonna be awesome! Can’t wait to send one in!

Ice Sage said on Feb. 18, 2010

…Ice warrior? I’m not alone, it seems. :P

Anyway, just sent mine with a little Ninten picture and a Franklin Badge picture on the back. I mentioned MOTHER 1 too, so that way I would express love for the entire series.

This certainly made my birthday complete! :D

kalasad said on Feb. 18, 2010

I know nothing will come out of this, but I’ll try sending one with drawings just for the fun of it. Now I just have to find a Texas postcard that doesn’t make people think I ride a horse to school. (You’d be surprised at the amount of people who believe that.)

darkzzii said on Feb. 18, 2010
Robert said on Feb. 18, 2010

Simple and sweet.

PK Mudkip said on Feb. 18, 2010

My friend and I are pumped up for this with only one thing stopping us but we will still try.
WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL STOP US!?….I’m only 12 and he’s 13…the chances of us doing this ….,1 in 128

Pigscout said on Feb. 18, 2010

I love the idea

Miles Vialpando said on Feb. 18, 2010

They will hear about the wonderful dairy farmland of Pennsylvania with my postcard!

_______________
MILKSHAKE:

This delicious dairy treat consists of well-blended love from your local neighborhood cow. Thank the cow sometime…

When consumed, you recover about 80HP.

Joshua Johnson said on Feb. 18, 2010

why not. it really dosen’t hurt not to

Matt said on Feb. 18, 2010

MOTHER2だいすき!!!

neonix, what part of Florida are you from?

Keiji Dragon / OKei said on Feb. 19, 2010

I just went to like 4-5 different places around my area (including Wal-Mart, some gas-stations, and Ride-Aid) and surprisingly I didn’t find any postcards around here. =/ I’ll try searching tomorrow for some. I’ll update later when I get one and mail it to NCL!

ThatGuy said on Feb. 19, 2010

As said before, this may not get EarthBound anywhere onto the VC..

..but there’s a chance it might. :D

Who knows? It might convince them, might not. I’m from Australia, so this would be very powerful stuff.

This seems like a little fun thingamabob to do. We’re really getting the power out, aren’t we? :)

Aura said on Feb. 19, 2010

I’d like to do this too, this is such a nice idea! Like many fans here, I have the feeling it won’t change anything, but I think it’s still a sweet thing to do.

You can be sure they will receive at least a postcard from France! :D

Gummidge said on Feb. 19, 2010

I’ll see if I can find one with a recipe for Yorkshire Pudding on the front.

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Feb. 19, 2010

i just worte mine and will be sending it tomorrow tolate to send it tonight it would be cool to find one with the beatles on it or something like that

Chris said on Feb. 20, 2010

Cool, I’ll try to find a postcard of Connecticut (or the Beatles like Yoshi said) :D

Sam said on Feb. 20, 2010

Okay, I’m in guys.

Kyoo said on Feb. 20, 2010

sweet, this will not only show my fandom. but help the US Postal services. I can’t wait.

Lost Hero said on Feb. 20, 2010

Wow. Being nice and polite? No sending in death-threats or poorly written crap? Thanking NCL for bringing the Mother series into being instead of cursing them for not releasing the games outside of Japan?

Dang. The Mother fandom is just too awesome and mature to be real. :D

Reggie said on Feb. 20, 2010

I see Fire
Then i see rain
And then, Mother Fans Smiles.
Everything will be fine.
Reggie knows it.

BottleRocket said on Feb. 20, 2010

Well my postcard’s all written up, just gotta get it sent. This is a great idea, even if it doesn’t change anything.

mr.saturn 64 said on Feb. 22, 2010

sent mine a cupple days ago wonder wien it wil get there

Chimera said on Feb. 24, 2010

I really don’t see how this isn’t another siege. isn’t this what we did for EB siege japan? nonetheless, I support it

Gieguen said on Feb. 25, 2010

I think I’ll do this. But I’ll have to persuade my parents to let me send a postcard to Japan… Not sure how much it’ll cost…

Anyways, since I am A: Too young to know the days of the SNES and B: On the wrong continent to play Earthbound I’m particularly eager to experience it properly(instead of watching LPs of the series, repeatedly.)

fergzilla said on Feb. 25, 2010

This looks pretty cool! I’m gonna try this myself, regardless of the outcome! And then maybe I’ll do pretty much the same idea AGAIN, only that I’m going to mail it to XSEED, the subject is going to be Retro Game Challenge, and my concern is about giving the aforementioned RGC a second chance on shelves so the chances of a sequel localization will increase.

Come to think of it, my concern about RGC2 being localized for Americans is….you know, almost virtually the same as the EB fans’ concern about EB on the Virtual Console (no pun intended about the use of the word “virtual”)

PKSTARMAN said on Feb. 26, 2010

Agreed… Going right up to the Mail Center.

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Feb. 28, 2010

mine said Hello! I am a big fan of EarthBound and would love to see it on the virtual consle. Thank you! then a little picture of mr.saturn

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Feb. 28, 2010

btw it cost me about 98 cents

Ricardo said on Feb. 28, 2010

I sent mine, saying Hi! I like the Mother saga a lot, and I’d love to see it on the Virtual Console. Thanks!
Then, a picture of Masked Man

Ricardo said on Feb. 28, 2010

BTW, Mato, have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpe4eioI0UU

Do you think it’s real? I can’t tell…

Poe said on Feb. 28, 2010

Ricardo – that’s definitely fan-made, not official.

John H. said on Feb. 28, 2010

You guys remember Ruffini the Dog, right? He gives you an address to write to when you talk to him during the ending, and actually encourages you to write to it. Seems like it might be entertaining to make some kind of reference to that on those postcards….

Ricardo said on Feb. 28, 2010

Poe, I know it’s Fan-made, but, how the guy managed to hack Mother 3? As far as I know, we can only hack overworld sprites, not battle sprites.

Andy said on Mar. 1, 2010

I am doing this.

starstormer said on Mar. 7, 2010

me too

Kyoo said on Mar. 7, 2010

thank you for putting this up on the front page again. I got the post card but I couldn’t find this to get the address. this time i wrote the address on paper so I won’t ever loose. I know peole all around the USA. I should get them to do the same :D (just need to find some spare cash to mail it now)

Soiherduliekeb said on Mar. 11, 2010

There actually is a postcard specially made for it on Zazzle…..

astrangeoneEB said on Jan. 10, 2011

Going to do this this week. It’s going to be nothing short of awesome. :D

starwars890 said on May. 21, 2011

I live in florida too..

gg said on Jul. 5, 2011

You live in Florida too, Mato?

Luigi4President said on Jul. 14, 2012

The EarthBound fans in Cleveland have to be heard too! After losing at sports so much, maybe we can win at this lol

Sparklesqueak said on Jul. 30, 2012

I’m a 13-year-old Mother fan from Ireland, and even if it doesn’t work, heck, I’m doing it for the fun of it!
Plus I plan to send them a nice Irish postcard with a picture of Ness and a Mr. Saturn in the corner. :)

Schaufel said on Dec. 15, 2012

I would love to know how to write this request in Japanese. It might get NCL’s attention more.