MOTHER 2 by the Zippers
Update: It’s been confirmed that this is the MOTHER 3 Franklin Badge and not the MOTHER 1 Franklin Badge. While the M1 badges are unbelievably rare, the M3 ones are pretty hard to come by too, especially by themselves.
When MOTHER was released in Japan, a bunch of strategy guides flooded the market. Possibly as a way to stand out from the crowd, the official strategy guides had a contest you could participate in, and 200 lucky winners would win a Franklin Badge from the game. Naturally, these badges are very rare nowadays and tend to go for high prices. A few years back, someone in Japan tried to sell one with a starting bid of $9000. Obviously it didn’t sell, but yikes.
Anyway, it looks like one of these rare badges was just listed on eBay:
Now, it’s important to note that the MOTHER 3 Deluxe Boxes also came with Franklin Badges. These are somewhat rare too, but were much easier to get (you could actually buy them as part of the MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box set) and were much greater in quantity. The biggest obvious difference between the two badges is that the original version has a gold background while the MOTHER 3 one has a white background:
Judging from the picture on the auction page, this one up for sale looks to be one of the MOTHER 1 badges. If so, it definitely belongs in a future EarthBound Museum (to be built when I’m a jillionaire) 😯
Other Related Posts:
66 Comments to Original Franklin Badge for Sale?
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...