Otafest EarthBound Cosplay
Lately we’ve been taking a look at old Japanese magazines, so I thought I’d continue with that theme. This is one of the ads that ran in Famicom Tsushin magazine in 1994 a few weeks before MOTHER 2’s release. The scan is courtesy of good ol KingDarian, another crazy (as in crazy awesome) collector of MOTHER/EarthBound merchandise.
click to enlarge (be warned, it’s a big pic!)
The guy is Takuya Kimura, famous member of the popular boy band SMAP. I think I read somewhere that he and Itoi met on a fishing trip or something and they hit it off. I forget. Anyway, he also appeared in the TV commercials for MOTHER 2, and supposedly he owned (owns?) one of the super-rare MOTHER 2 dragon jackets.
Also of interest are the screenshots in the corner. The far left shot has the trash can in the wrong location, and the Threed shot is in a yellow daytime-ish palette. It’s also interesting that the ad lists the graphics as a positive thing; over here the game was torn apart by reviewers because of those same graphics.
Another weird thing the ad mentions is that there are over 150 events in the game. I… guess that’s good? I never really counted the total number of events in other RPGs I’ve played.
In Japan they plastered a Japanese boy band guy all over everything. In America, they made fart jokes and gym sock jokes. What an odd and intriguing difference in marketing approach.
Other Related Posts:
12 Comments to MOTHER 2 Magazine Advertisement
- KingOfSwords: The Memories civer looks beautiful ;.;
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?