SpeedGamers EarthBound Marathon
Lately we’ve been taking a look at old Japanese magazines, so I thought I’d continue with that theme. This is one of the ads that ran in Famicom Tsushin magazine in 1994 a few weeks before MOTHER 2’s release. The scan is courtesy of good ol KingDarian, another crazy (as in crazy awesome) collector of MOTHER/EarthBound merchandise.
click to enlarge (be warned, it’s a big pic!)
The guy is Takuya Kimura, famous member of the popular boy band SMAP. I think I read somewhere that he and Itoi met on a fishing trip or something and they hit it off. I forget. Anyway, he also appeared in the TV commercials for MOTHER 2, and supposedly he owned (owns?) one of the super-rare MOTHER 2 dragon jackets.
Also of interest are the screenshots in the corner. The far left shot has the trash can in the wrong location, and the Threed shot is in a yellow daytime-ish palette. It’s also interesting that the ad lists the graphics as a positive thing; over here the game was torn apart by reviewers because of those same graphics.
Another weird thing the ad mentions is that there are over 150 events in the game. I… guess that’s good? I never really counted the total number of events in other RPGs I’ve played.
In Japan they plastered a Japanese boy band guy all over everything. In America, they made fart jokes and gym sock jokes. What an odd and intriguing difference in marketing approach.
Other Related Posts:
12 Comments to MOTHER 2 Magazine Advertisement
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...