MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10

February 5th, 2010 | Auctions, EarthBound, Merchandise

Remember that EarthBound display card that showed up on eBay the other day? Well, the auction ended, and the final price was $305.01 😯

EarthBound is well-known for its expensive merchandise these days, but even $300 is a surprise to me. Here are some other EarthBound things in the past that have been surprisingly expensive:

I’m sure there’s been other stuff, if you remember anything I’ve forgotten let me know. Also, I should give up my day job and become an EarthBound merchandise dealer 😛

24 Comments to EB Display Card Sells for $305

Carl said on Feb. 5, 2010

Good luck to the folks who are hoping to score one of the next few from the seller at a significantly lower price–the four highest bids on this one were all at least $200.

Chrissii said on Feb. 5, 2010

Did you get the first one Carl? If so, congrats! Also if so, and he does list more, please let the rest of us have a fighting chance next time… ;_;

Carl said on Feb. 5, 2010

Nope, wasn’t me. $200 was my limit.

GmX said on Feb. 5, 2010

$305 for the box of Earthbound. Sheesh. Imagine how much this will sell for 3 or 5 years from now.

neonix said on Feb. 5, 2010

^Not the box, a picture of the box =P

Carl said on Feb. 5, 2010

Yeah, the box itself sells on Ebay for only a little more than quarter of that.

pooppoop said on Feb. 5, 2010

copied from wikipedia:
“Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder marked by an obsessive need to acquire (and failure to use or discard) a significant amount of possessions, even if the items are worthless…”

something to look into

Mato said on Feb. 5, 2010

You should post the rest perhaps.

“…hazardous, or unsanitary. Compulsive hoarding causes significant clutter and impairment to basic living activities, including mobility, cooking, cleaning, showering, and sleeping”

Which I don’t think an EarthBound display card applies to.

santiagoff said on Feb. 5, 2010

What the hell… this reminds me of that Mr. Saturn which was worth $3000 ._.

Carl said on Feb. 5, 2010

@pooppoop: What are you going on about now? A small slip of cardboard hardly qualifies as “a significant amount of possessions.”

ZombiePaul said on Feb. 5, 2010

I just find it amusing that the shipping cost for it is a buck-fifty and isn’t included. Then again it’s early and I’m probably easily amused right now.

Carl said on Feb. 5, 2010

I decided to use the $200 I bid on the display card to buy a set of the Mother 1+2 keychains instead. I’ve been meaning to get them for years, anyway.

neonix said on Feb. 5, 2010

^Now, that’s a good investment! I was considering buying that set for a while now, but I recently spent a lot on random Mother and non-Mother things from Yahoo Japan and couldn’t bring myself to overspend my paycheck another month in a row. Plus, that would leave me with duplicates of Ness and Bubble Monkey. So I’m just waiting for single keychains to show up again at some point. :F

Congrats Carl 😀

Roo said on Feb. 5, 2010

Mato, what have you wrought?

neonix said on Feb. 5, 2010

That makes me wonder, would have sold for as much if Mato hadn’t posted it here?

Carl said on Feb. 5, 2010

Thanks.

I certainly wouldn’t have known about the display card auction if not for the post here. If the high bidder (and the next-highest bidder, who was responsible for driving the price up so high) visits EB Central, I’m guessing he doesn’t actively post in the comments, because nobody in that thread seemed to be willing to go over $200.

Chrissii said on Feb. 6, 2010

Carl, wonderful choice!!! They are truly outstanding, they are the one “rare” piece of Earthbound merchandise that I have… was lucky enough to get the set for like, $40 back when they were new. If only I’d known back then how rare they were going to be maybe I’d have gotten 2 sets! 😛

Monodi said on Feb. 7, 2010

305 dollars for announcing something that dropped to become 14.96

Mato said on Feb. 9, 2010

The latest one just sold for $77.75.

Poe said on Feb. 9, 2010

I wonder how much buyer’s remorse the first guy is experiencing right now.

Anonymous said on Feb. 9, 2010

None whatsoever 😉 . There is a reason I wanted the first one, which I’ll discuss at a future date.

Super Smash Bros. Fan said on Feb. 9, 2010

Providing that the game never gets an release on the Virtual Console, this will soon be the norm.

Poe said on Feb. 13, 2010

Glad to hear it, anon.

Nyx said on Feb. 22, 2012

Supply and demand, SSBF. In time NoA will be partly responsible for a massive change in our economy. For the worse.