EarthBound - Tested - Works and Saves Perfectly - Game + Cover

February 25th, 2010 | EarthBound, Images, Uncommon Knowledge

Good ol’ LucasTizma, collector of all things EarthBound, snagged that complete copy of EarthBound + set of rare EarthBound promotional stuff that showed up a few weeks ago. It cost him over $500 (and he already owns EarthBound), but he got it anyway AND was awesomely nice enough to scan the promo stuff for all fans to enjoy rather than keep it all for himself :D

Some quick background info that may be old to some regulars – we first heard about all the EarthBound promotional material sent to the press about ten years ago from a regular visitor to EarthBound.Net/Starmen.Net. He came across an EarthBound ruler (one happens to be up for sale as I type this!) and sent me this message:

“Okay, got your E-mail, the scans are attached to this message. Now how I got this piece of merchandise is kinda a long story and may be a bit hard to believe, but its the truth, so I hope you’re listening. Anyway, a friend of mine knew someone who worked for Nintendo, so my friend took me to his office to meet him. Me and the Nintendo worker kinda formed a friendship. Due to this he was able to send me all kinds of Nintendo games before they were released to the public. Among the games he sent me were Donkey Kong Country, and of course EarthBound. When he sent me EarthBound, he sent more then just the game and Player’s Guide. The game box was inside this large Mach Pizza box that had the Mach Pizza man on it, and it included some EarthBound newspaper clippings like the ones in the Player’s Guide, and it also came with (guess what?) the EarthBound ruler. I’m unsure if Nintendo ever got around to selling these rulers to the pubilc, so I can’t give you a price or a place where site visitors can obtain one. Still I think that the SM.net community deserves to see this piece of rare EarthBound merchandise.”

At last, here are some of those promo materials! First up are the “fact sheets”, lists of good points and qualities that make the game stand out from the crowd:

A lot of that stuff doesn’t seem very impressive, it’s almost like they were grasping for straws. One thing that really stands out though is:

Players learn to use the values of family, friends, teamwork and financial management

Also, this lists the exact date of June 5, 1995 as the game’s release, which is nice to know. Its exact release date was forgotten over time, so we usually left it as the vague “June 1995″, which other sites like Wikipedia took to mean June 1, 1995.

Anyway, now let’s look at the next stuff, the press release!

Another stand-out line:

The game also includes game play elements and text-based messages about the values of family, friends and financial responsibility, such as the importance of calling home and managing money.

Between this stuff and the fact sheet, this is already starting to sound pretty hokey. Then comes this doozy of a line:

“This is without a doubt the most entertaining, family-oriented, user-friendly, role-playing game to be released in America,” says Peter Main, Nintendo of America’s vice president, marketing. EarthBound will bring this genre of game out of its segmented market and into mass acceptance.”

Sounds like they had really high hopes for EarthBound, maybe even impossibly high hopes.

Anyway, there’s one last morsel to be had: The “EarthBound Times” newspaper clipping. This was also included in the old press packs. I’m not sure if this is the only one that was included (it probably is, though), but it’s still neat to see!

This clipping was actually so big in size that LucasTizma had to scan it in separate parts and stitch them together. I wonder why. Anyway, again, we see an odd line in here:

No other video game combines great, easy-to-learn, role-playing action with humor and values of family, friends and financial responsibility.

It’s really strange how GolinHarris, the company that handles Nintendo’s PR, chose to focus on this theme of “financial responsibility”. Ironically, if you want to play this game legally nowadays, you have to throw away financial responsibility :P

Anyway, with so little new stuff happening with EarthBound these days, it’s great to be able to find neat treasures from the past like this. It looks like someone might be able to get ahold of the ruler that supposedly came with this stuff, now if only we can find one of those pizza boxes and any other stuff that might’ve been sent to the press…

26 Comments to EarthBound Promotional Materials

LakituAl said on Feb. 25, 2010

I think they emphasized financial responsibility so much because not many other games had that. Of course, maybe some of them HAD stories about family values and stuff, but how many of them teach you how to get money from an ATM while you are still a kid? Not many.

And I do hope something else shows up. I can’t wait to see it happen!

Murcielo said on Feb. 25, 2010

With all of the new EB promotional stuff appearing out of no-where, it helps us know in what way did Nintendo hope to promote the game as. I also can’t wait to see more of this stuff pop up around the community sometime.

Also, I noticed on the EarthBound Times (on the 4th column) that they accidentally typo’d in an extra “s” in “Express.” It’s quite a jem that after all this time, we noticed a typo in their promotional stuff. XD

santiagoff said on Feb. 25, 2010

Woah, the game was released one day after my birthday! Awesome! :3

LucasTizma said on Feb. 25, 2010

Trying to win the last EB display card and ruler. *crosses fingers*

Elobo said on Feb. 25, 2010

Really cool, thanks for sharing the text LT. :D

But yeah, it looks like they were really hoping that EarthBound would be a trendsetter. The language is so positive, or at least trumped up.

BroBuzz said on Feb. 25, 2010

Sweet! Let’s hope we can find that pizza box soon!

Chrissii said on Feb. 25, 2010

Wow, great! I would hardly call anything they said in these materials “hokey”; they obviously saw a ton of heart and potential in this game! I’m really glad that they focused on the importance of love, friendship and family in the story, and other unique things about it (like of course pizza. pizza is awesome.) in these notes, and not on fart noises and burps. It’s a shame their marketing wound up doing the opposite, and wound up so disappointing the people who worked on it in the results of their work, to the point where the company pretty much pretends it doesn’t exist now. Quite a turnabout :P

Roo said on Feb. 25, 2010

Thanks for scanning this, LucasTizma. That’s all pretty interesting.

neonix said on Feb. 25, 2010

Reading all that made me feel a bit depressed actually. Imagining what EarthBound would be regarded as today had it been a huge hit like Nintendo had hoped… It could be plastered all over cheaply produced merchandise, Mr. Saturn plushies would be in the extinct arcades here… :(
Nintendo of America obviously saw in EB at least some of what we all still see in it.

Also, no financially responsible person would pay $14 for a fast food hamburger, or $1148 for a yo-yo! But I guess that’s fine when you’re getting thousands of bucks from your dear ol’ dad for kicking alien ass!

neonix said on Feb. 25, 2010

Oh and the first paragraph–the first line specifically–of the press release. That should have been the outline for their marketing campaign right there. That grabbed me. Expand that paragraph on the friendship, family, and anti-alien values, and it would have been great.

starstormer said on Feb. 25, 2010

Thanks for scanning all this stuff for the rest of us to see. Most of us wouldn’t be able to afford it so its nice someone would buy it and then post everything for the EB community.

BottleRocket said on Feb. 25, 2010

Wow, thanks a ton for getting and scanning those! It’s really great to be able to see some of the other things Nintendo had to say about the game, besides the ad campaign.

LucasTizma said on Feb. 25, 2010

My pleasure, everyone. I’m trying to figure out what I should scan next. I don’t think too many people are interested in all the Japanese guides and manga I have…maybe some of the art books? Maybe the EB Player’s Guide so we’d have it online? You tell me. :)

neonix said on Feb. 25, 2010

The art books would be really cool! No need for the EB Player’s Guide, it’s actually already online and hosted on SM.net.

Mato said on Feb. 25, 2010

Yeah, the guide has already been scanned really well and put online:

Omnomnominous said on Feb. 25, 2010

IMO any scans are good scans – including the Japanese stuff(manga, guides etc.). I already have the Player’s Guide PDF from SM.net though, so no need to scan that :D
Also, I was curious after seeing the pictures of your collection – would you be prepared to rip the tracks from any of your Mother albums(I forgot exactly how many you have, but I think I saw the ‘The Invadance!’ CD in there, and I’ve been looking to get ahold of that somehow – also ‘MotherSounds Ep.2′) But I agree with Neonix, it’d be pretty neat if you could scan the art books for us.

LucasTizma said on Feb. 25, 2010

@Omnomnominous: Yes, I have a pretty extensive MOTHER music collection (at least digitally). I need to put it all up online. Considering that it’s next to impossible to get any of these CDs anymore, I don’t have any qualms with putting it up for free. :) In the mean time, e-mail me, and I can hook you up with The Invadance! lucastizma@lucastizma.com

Chrissii said on Feb. 25, 2010

Heh, I love seeing these exchanges. Share and share alike! It keeps the community thriving, IMO :D

neonix said on Feb. 26, 2010

You can email me for those albums as well, to help alleviate some of the load for LT. rubberfroggy@gmail.com
I have an ongoing goal to collect every MOTHER fan-music album.

Oh and if you want, I have a couple extra copies of Mother Sounds ep2 I can sell.

Chrissii said on Feb. 26, 2010

Oh bummer, if you had said Mother Sounds 1 I would so take you up on that XD Alas I have the 2nd one already :P

neonix said on Feb. 26, 2010

Chrisii, I actually might be able to make your wish come true. ;) Be sure to check your email on Monday and Tuesday.

mustangbrian said on Feb. 28, 2010

cool stuff, hopefully the pizza box will surface soon.

Omnomnominous said on Mar. 4, 2010

@Neonix

Just curious, but do you have, or know someone who has, a copy of the rare ‘Mother +Love’ CDs?(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw2j7VhB9Hw&feature=related) I haven’t seen these anywhere, not even in LucasTizma’s collection pictures.

neonix said on Mar. 4, 2010

I don’t know anyone who has MOTHER +Love. I do however have digital copies of MOTHER +Love 2 (and pretty much every other doujin/fan MOTHER album) which I can share with anyone. That album is really good.

PSI said on Apr. 10, 2011

^I know that’s an incredibly old comment, but….
is that still an offer? I’ve been looking for Mother+Love 1&2 forever…

LucasTizma said on Apr. 10, 2011

E-mail me: lucastizma@lucastizma.com

I can send you both albums from my MOTHER music collection. :)