January 25th, 2010 | Food, Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge

This isn’t very well-known outside of Japan, but one day, while on a fishing trip, Shigesato Itoi visited a small curry shop near Mt. Fuji and was wowed by the curry they had there. His praise made the curry famous across the country, and thus “Itoriki Curry” was born, and an entire business built up around it apparently.

Apparently this Itoriki Curry uses Japanese saké to get its good flavor. It’s so well-known that you can even order it online, through the restaurant directly or through places like Yahoo! Auctions Japan.

The packaging for the packets is interesting. It uses a big hand-written message from Itoi about how good it is, when a good time to eat it is, and stuff like that. It also has plenty of his weird little drawings he likes to include with his messages like that. No Mr. Saturns or anything this time though.

click to enlarge

The curry comes in several different varieties, including coconut curry, Indian curry, beef curry.

If you get a chance, try some or try visiting one of the restaurants. I’d love to hear people’s opinions about it! I loves me some curry 😀

22 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Loves Curry

neonix said on Jan. 25, 2010

I LOVE curry. Gunna have to try some of this!

Chrissii said on Jan. 25, 2010

Wow, that looks delicious! I’m not the biggest fan of curry, but using sake to flavor it sounds interesting. I’d love to try it 🙂

Tomato, you should act as a middle-man for a small fee between EBC readers and this restaurants website, since you can read it! XD (Kidding obviously, though I would totally buy some.) 😛

Poe said on Jan. 25, 2010

WANT

Elobo said on Jan. 25, 2010

Itoi joined their Curry for Critiques program, and provides them with handwritten notes for their packaging :P.

Looks delicious.

Matt said on Jan. 25, 2010

That looks really good o__o I’d like to try some. 😮

Darien said on Jan. 25, 2010

I love the animated GIFs on the Itoriki web site. Takes me back to a younger day, it does. 😉

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

Lothis said on Jan. 25, 2010

I’ve never had curry before but I’ve always wanted to try some. As soon as I get some money I think I’m gonna look into this – if Shigesato endorses it then it’s gotta be good in its own quirky ways.

Gummidge said on Jan. 25, 2010

Eh, I don’t really like curry 😛 (well, Indian curry)

But I like Itoi’s note, especially the doodle of himself.

Omnitarian said on Jan. 25, 2010

I love that note by Itoi. He has the most wonderful naive drawing style…

floydhead42 said on Jan. 25, 2010

Yeah, I’d also like a quick guide on how to navigate through this site. I’d REALLY like to try this, as I’ve been meaning to eat curry and I’m sure Itoi has great taste in food, so I’ll gladly take his recommendations. (except for cow tongue, that just sounds nasty)

Darien said on Jan. 25, 2010

Tongue is decent. It’s not my favourite thing, but it’s decent. Honestly, it doesn’t look as tongue-y as you’re probably thinking; beef tongues are gigantic, and you’ll certainly not be served the whole thing, so it really doesn’t look astonishingly different from any other piece of meat.

Pigmask Private said on Jan. 25, 2010

I’d agree, beef tongue is delicious.

shibaru said on Jan. 26, 2010

Somehow Keitai Denjuu Telefang comes to mind…

Komaru said on Jan. 26, 2010

HAVE YOU HAD CURRY TODAY?
OH! IT MUST BE SEDGE!
Meanwhile, on the subject of making sense, this is pretty cool.
Next time I visit Japan, I’ll have to see if I can find one of the restaurants.

Ricardo said on Jan. 26, 2010

Mini said on Jan. 27, 2010

I wish I could read that message. Is anyone willing to translate it?

Ginrei said on Jan. 27, 2010

Aah, japanese style curry is the best! I make what I believe to be an accurate version, but I’d love to go to a restaurant and try authentic curry sometime.

missy said on Jan. 28, 2010

I gotta say, I’ve never had curry.

am I deprived?

Darien said on Jan. 28, 2010

“Curry” is actually a slightly confusing term, since there are tons of different varieties, usually by region. Indian curry is what people traditionally think of as “curry,” due to its popularity in Britain following the colonisation of India. Thai curry is a completely different dish, and Japanese curry is different yet again. Even within the different regional varieties, there are many, many different kinds, made with different spices and/or sauces. There’s enough variation available that I expect one or another type of curry is probably right up your alley.

I am a loser said on Feb. 9, 2010