January 18th, 2010 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

There’s a glitch in MOTHER 3 that’s a neat thing to mess with once in a while.

Basically, if there’s a gift box sprite on the screen, if you go to the main menu or to the map menu and back, sometimes the gift box will turn into a status icon. It doesn’t work all the time and it seems to happen mostly with certain boxes. Plus I think it happens mostly (only?) when a box has been opened.

Here it is in action:

It happens in both the Japanese and English versions of the game. I never even knew this happened until after we released the translation patch, so when people started sending in bug reports about this glitch, Jeffman and I were both like, “WTF?” Eventually we figured out it happens in the original game, so it was no fault of ours. Whew!

Another place this often happens is with the gift box west of the run-down cafe, near the item storage guy. If anyone has spare time, see if you can find out where else this happens!

19 Comments to MOTHER 3 Gift Box Glitch

Yoshimad123 said on Jan. 18, 2010

Heh, I remember seeing this near the cafe.
I was like WTF?

Darien said on Jan. 18, 2010

That’s one of those extra-fun glitches that can fool you into thinking something meaningful has happened. You look up and all of a sudden there’s a quote balloon with a skull in it? Yikes.

santiagoff said on Jan. 18, 2010

WOAH WTF?!

Mato said on Jan. 18, 2010

It’s the opposite of a Happy Box!

FinalstarmanDX said on Jan. 18, 2010

New from the maker of “insta-death” spikes comes, Insta-death Bread!! find it at your nearest evil mastermind depot.

Ricardo said on Jan. 18, 2010

Maybe it’s something that was left from a beta, where boxes could morph into another sprite, maybe in Tanetane Island. Maybe…

Someone said on Jan. 18, 2010

I remember this one from way back in the early days of the patch. Freaked me out, but caught wind that it had been reported. Then I tried it on my cart and saw it happen there.

@Tomato (a.k.a. Mato, a.k.a. the MOTHER 3 translator):

Speaking of Jefflypuff, how is Jeffman? I havent heard his name since the week before the patch release.

SmaMan said on Jan. 18, 2010

Eh, my guess is it’s probably just a result of having to switch over to another chipset for the map, which also has the status icons apparently, and then switching back to the overworld too fast to properly load its chipset with the present box… and boom! A skull appears.

But I you shouldn’t take my word for it. Heck, we have the guys who spent many long intimate months with the rom right here!

Mato said on Jan. 18, 2010

To be honest, I think something exactly like that is happening. It’s probably more like the game’s sprite queue isn’t properly updated between the switch, a lot of my own sprite text hacking had that problem, not a fun thing to work with 😛

@Someone: I dunno really, the team dev board’s been quiet for a while. I’m sure he’s keeping busy with tons of projects of his own 😛

Robert said on Jan. 18, 2010

NO SALSA DONT EAT THE NUT BREAD ITS DEATH BREAD!

Hejiru said on Jan. 19, 2010

That’s what happens when Mr. Saturn keeps farting into a gift box.

[…] Direct link/source here addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

The Great Morgil said on Jan. 19, 2010

I remember this glitch. I think i was one of the many who first reported it shortly after the translation was released. I found it at the cafe box.

Mr. Saturn said on Mar. 10, 2010

Hmm…I have to try this soon.

PSI Rockin' said on Jan. 1, 2011

Here’s MY ideas:
That giftbox was opened… and died… It decayed in five seconds…
A Mr. saturn had that in Saturn Valley, but he put a bit too much fart, he then, threw in some nut bread, sent it to Tazmily, and waited for some unseppting sap to open it, and eat. the. bread. And get the NUT TOUCH!
(6 XD points for whoever gets the refrence)

3alloa said on Jan. 27, 2011

i believe i stumbled upon this thing i was like WTF!! >:(

Matteomax said on Jul. 4, 2011

Oh God, that nut bread is poisoned!

Mikeja78 said on May. 11, 2012

The nut bread came with a skull.

JOJOJOJO said on Apr. 9, 2013