January 23rd, 2010 | EarthBound 64, Interviews

Many years ago, Nintendo Power sat down with Shigeru Miyamoto and asked him about Ocarina of Time and a few other games, including EarthBound 64. I forget the issue number, if anyone has it handy lemme know.

How is EarthBound 64 coming along?

Miyamoto: I think we can release EarthBound 64 by the end of the year.

Even though the game is canceled, I still kind of wish they’d show us more from what they did have finished. Even just more screens/videos. A copy of what they had at the 1999 Spaceworld event as a Virtual Console release or something would be cool too. Though obviously that’d never ever happen 😛

16 Comments to Miyamoto and EarthBound 64

Ninji said on Jan. 23, 2010

Wait a second… THE Miyamoto worked on EB64? Either way, this interview looks neat, I’m still bummed out about not having EB64 released 🙁

Darien said on Jan. 23, 2010

Shigeru Miyamoto is Director and General Manager of Nintendo EAD. He has his fingers in pretty much everything Nintendo does.

pooppoop said on Jan. 23, 2010

i’m no fan of john waters, but really they couldn’t pick a better example of his work than “serial mom”?

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2010

Super Mario RPG 2 AND Earthbound 64?

Surely that would have been one great year.

KingDarian said on Jan. 23, 2010

It’s not from a regular issue, but from a Subscriber Bonus pack-in leaflet. Judging from the “Preview ’99” header, I’d guess the one that came with the January 1999 issue, vol. 116. I don’t have it on hand, but I’m sure I can dig it out of a box if I look hard enough.

Will said on Jan. 23, 2010

I think Super Mario RPG 2 was Paper Mario.

Mister Crosser said on Jan. 23, 2010

…Metroid 64?

G.Wicks said on Jan. 23, 2010

yes, that would never, ever, ever happen. maybe as an april fools joke. you can download the eb64 unfinished rom and it’s just a picture of reggie’s head popping out of a jack in the box saying “Ha! I was able to disappoint you again!”

Just kidding. Reg is a nice guy. *smirk*.

Darien said on Jan. 23, 2010

You’re correct, Will. It was.

Yoshimad123 said on Jan. 24, 2010

So close, yet so far.

Mike said on Jan. 25, 2010

“I forget the issue number, if anyone has it handy lemme know.”

It is not inside any issue of Nintendo Power because the scan you have is from a separate Subscriber Bonus. Here, take a look at the cover:

I believe the subscriber bonus came with the December 1998 or January 1999 issue of Nintendo Power. I can’t recall which one specifically. Oh, and here’s your proof so you know I’m not pulling your leg:

So, yeah, you cannot find this in any issue of Nintendo Power. This bonus booklet (that’s what it is, a mere booklet) is DAMN hard to find now, and since my dog shredded mine shortly after I scanned those… well, that’s one less floating around now.

MarioFan3 said on Jan. 25, 2010

Noooooo, I just got my mind off EB64.
That’s it, I’m going to put up my own custom poll!

If you had a Phase Distorter and all the essential tools for space-time travel, what would you do with it?

I know what I would do with it!
I would tell everyone of the Mother fan community to meet up at some place, and we’d ALL go back (all means you too Mato, half of us don’t know Japanese, Phase Distorters provide a full energy recovery too)
We would do one of several things:

We’d all go back and run down the streets of Japan surrounding the Nintendo HQ with EB64 chants, day and night, in the hopes of getting it released.
If that doesn’t work, then we’d all barge into SpaceWorld ’99 and try to steal EB64.
If that doesn’t work…. then we’d convince Nintendo (somehow) to make the N64 with a cartridge slot and a Disk Drive as part of the console!
If that doesn’t work, we’d spread the word of EB64 to the whole world, convince as many people as possible to join us, then we’d make as many pre-orders of the game as we can with all of our combined money, anything to get EB64.
If all else fails, we get elite ninjas to go to every Nintendo building in Japan to find the Mother 3 disk, and the Mother 3.5 disk!

So many things we could do with that Phase Distorter….. it makes me SO sad, my first wish is to have a Phase Distorter… ;_(

Sander P said on Jan. 25, 2010

I would love to see it appear on VC… it will never happen…
Maybe they want us to think it won’t be released, then they suddenly put the game up and we’re all surprised and happy… it’s just a thought…. uhmm…..

MisterLoshYoshKaBoshJr.III said on Jan. 25, 2010

Pro Tip: Never listen to Miyamoto or any other lead guy when it comes to release promises (I’M LOOKING AT YOU, ZELDA WII).

Mr. Nosy said on Jan. 28, 2010

Earthbound 64 for Virtual Console kudasai!

Somebody said on May. 21, 2011

I don’t think I really liked what I saw of EB 64 anyway, it doesn’t look like Earthbound, and if it were released, Mother 3 wouldn’t exist!