January 6th, 2010 | Auctions, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I’ve kept on top of every EarthBound-related on eBay for the past year since opening this site, and an interesting trend I’ve noticed is that sellers will sometimes add the word “EarthBound” to their auction titles, even if EarthBound isn’t part of the auction. Especially the past month or so I’ve seen it happen several times a week.

The latest example (from today in fact) is a Sega Genesis.

Obviously this kind of tactic isn’t new and isn’t an EarthBound-only thing. I’ve just noticed that it’s been on the increase since this time last year with EarthBound. With all the fuss over the game’s collectibility and demand, it’s too bad Nintendo doesn’t show any signs of doing anything with it.

17 Comments to Just Slap EarthBound On It

userofdoom said on Jan. 6, 2010

I see it often happening with people selling Mother 1 carts and things. I don’t really see that many that often though, maybe because I don’t use eBay much :T

KevTehNev said on Jan. 6, 2010

I thought I saw a copy selling for $40 before, but it was Breath of Fire II >->; Oh well, I have the game so I don’t have to worry about this. 😛

Dark Hamsterlord said on Jan. 6, 2010

I can’t get my copy of EarthBound to work in my Sega Genesis! What am I doing wrong??

Mato said on Jan. 6, 2010

EarthBound isn’t Blast Processing compatible 🙁

Darien said on Jan. 6, 2010

But what if I called my special attack “Psi Blast?” Would it work then?

Steve! said on Jan. 6, 2010

Thats pretty funny but it doesn’t work. Generally when people see that the item isn’t EarthBound they won’t check it, I just wonder what the seller would say if someone asked them about it.

Triangular Sandwiches With No Crusts: Excellent said on Jan. 6, 2010

Do all items with certain words like EarthBound show up on this site’s tracker? That could be why. They want to be seen here!

Psi Rocker' Earthbound said on Jan. 6, 2010

i should have bought this magical Sega Genesis Sonic Gunstar Heroes Earthbound! It seems to be worth every penny.

Earthbound_X said on Jan. 6, 2010

At least he isn’t trying to trick people into thinking he’s selling the game with the system.

It’s pretty lame, but it doesn’t make me as mad when people sell Earthbound Roms on CDs.

TBird said on Jan. 7, 2010

So when will the Sega Genesis Gunstar Heroes EarthBound be in the featured auctions?

santiagoff said on Jan. 7, 2010

Aren’t we supposed to report this kind of articles? o.o

SmaMan said on Jan. 7, 2010

This brings to mind all those terrible Sega Genesis pirates that the Chinese companies are STILL making. I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw a game called Earthbound on the Genesis coming soon to a mall kiosk near you. It won’t be Earthbound at all, but probably a poorly hacked RPG most likely using this as it’s source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1rDREgDjyw

RadicOmega said on Nov. 4, 2011

That actually seems smart to me. People are doing there best to get a EarthBound copy.

ajmax8462 said on Apr. 12, 2013

O_O TACTICS ALERT

Frank said on Apr. 12, 2013

I’ve seen a lot of this lately. Not naming names, but one dude puts like mario zelda earthbound after every title, and it never has anything to do with the games he’s selling. I wish people wouldn’t do that, because it just makes it that much harder to search on ebay. If it doesn’t already, ebay should have a rule against this sort of thing.

Mato said on Apr. 12, 2013

They do have rules against it – if you see it happen you should report the seller to eBay.

Frank said on Apr. 12, 2013

^Ahh. Thank you for letting me know. I will try to bring this to ebay’s attention from now on. Also, please let us know when you get more ebay listings. You had awesome stuff last time, and i missed it all ;-;.