January 26th, 2010 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

It’s probably somewhat common knowledge now, but there’s a spot in an area outside Threed where enemies appear but are impossible to reach via normal means. Usually this enemy is a hippie, but sometimes it will be a cranky lady or an old party man.

A while back I documented some other interesting/rare enemy locations, which you can find here. If you need a new challenge for this old game, maybe try to find all of them the next time you play!

19 Comments to How Did That Enemy Get There?

Wafffo! said on Jan. 26, 2010

yeah this happens to me at Grapefruit Falls there’s always armored frogs on the ledge things
there’s also magic butterflies too
and in Saturn Valley that one mad duck that always appears [for me] near the APPRECIATE! Mr. Saturn

Ninji said on Jan. 26, 2010

Yup, I’ve seen enemies in these kind of places bunches of times, once I found an Extra Cranky Lady on top of one of the Skyscrapers in Fourside 😀

Darien said on Jan. 26, 2010

The Mad Duck in Saturn Valley drove me up the wall when I was a kid. I was convinced there was some way of getting to it.

p__q said on Jan. 26, 2010

@Ninji: now THAT’S extra cranky.

Chrissii said on Jan. 26, 2010

@Darien I felt the SAME WAY. I was actually still convinced I was missing something until just a couple years ago >_>

Murcielo said on Jan. 27, 2010

There’s so many instances of that in-game that I can’t help but laugh when it does occur. In fact, I remember a video that was made in PK Hack that poked fun at this occurrence.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeNxA5wQtOw

Gummidge said on Jan. 27, 2010

I found a magic butterfly on one of the lower rock outcrops of Dalaam.

It was quite pretty.

SmaMan said on Jan. 27, 2010

I think I saw a Cranky Lady on an inaccessible ledge near the road leading out of Twoson. (to the Threed tunnel)

Brandon said on Jan. 27, 2010

I’ve seen on a caveman get stuck behind a Stonehenge pillar, I’m guessing due to weird spawning parameters. The game treated him as an obstacle…I couldn’t fight him but couldn’t pass through him either.

missy said on Jan. 28, 2010

I’ve watched this video 3 times, and on the third I FINALLY saw the Hippie, lol.

gosh, I’m so not as observant as I think I am.

Darien: I know, right! that thing still drives me crazy ):

IMB706 said on Jan. 28, 2010

Yeah the duck thing always appears when I go into Saturn Valley, but you can never reach it. I guess the sign appreciate means appreciate we prevented a glitch from happening or whatever.

Dorgannn said on Jan. 28, 2010

I found another location like this, in the Gold Mine in the Desert. I have video proof if necessary.

tintinophile691 said on Jul. 13, 2010

I actually spotted a Mad Duck near the south cave entrance of Saturn Valley. I went up and defeated it.

Anonymous said on Jul. 13, 2010

^ That was a glitch.

BigDream said on Sep. 2, 2011

Dumb moment.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Mar. 30, 2012

I found a magic butterfly out of my reach once. It was in Peaceful Rest Valley

100earthbound said on Jul. 8, 2012

Wow. Once, my sister was playing Earthbound, she was walking around, and then we saw an old party man in the TREES! We were talking about it all day!

jinxkatty7 said on Jul. 8, 2012

weird. this has never happened to me but im still playing the game for the first time. (i bet i jinxed it!) The enemies have random placement in EB so I can imagine that they could just *poof* randomly pop up somewhere on the map thats completely inaccessable!