Random Post:

PSI Piano Omega

January 28th, 2010 | EarthBound, Hacking, Videos

Many years ago, I created a simple patch for EarthBound that added a “New Game Plus” type feature to it, similar to what Chrono Trigger has. Michael Cayer then improved the patch further. With this patch, when you beat the game, you’ll then be able to start the game over from the start with all your items, stats, and skills that you had when you finished the game. It gives a neat little twist to the experience that wouldn’t normally be possible.

You can download the patch here:

As always, if you’re not sure how to apply IPS patches to ROMs, you can use the Easy EarthBound Patcher.

I also uploaded a video of it in action. I think the differences will be more interesting and noticeable once you’re in Onett, though.

The one thing I should point out though is that PSI Teleport isn’t fully carried over. Otherwise you’d be able to break the flow of the game and then all kinds of weird would happen. If that’s your sort of thing, you can always use the walk-through-walls code 😛

27 Comments to EarthBound with New Game Plus

PsychedelicStarman said on Jan. 28, 2010

Wow, that looks like a neat little hack, I’m gonna try it out.

scrimpeh said on Jan. 28, 2010

Good god, how will that look once you’re late into the game?

Ninji said on Jan. 28, 2010

I don’t know about this one, what if one of your friends starts playing this and screws up your stats unlike the regular game where if you started from the beginning it would only be about 10-15 minutes to get where you were, while on this, if you beat the game like 3-4 times and it gets screwed up, well, then you’re screwed, besides that, it takes away most of the fun in the game because you’ll destroy the enemies and bosses in one blow, but it would be cool to experiment that on the Starman Jr. but unlike Chrono Trigger, you’ll get nothing out of it if you try the game again, because there’s only ONE ending (which is way better than all of those multiple endings combined) while Chrono Trigger has like 15 so you could try your luck finding each one 😛

ElatedHatred said on Jan. 28, 2010

Does it bypass the 255 level cap that reverts back to 0 thing?

Darien said on Jan. 28, 2010

Not sure why you’d play a New Game+ if you were interested in the game’s natural challenge. That’s kind of not the point. Not to mention I’m not sure *how* you’d do so, since, kind of by definition, you’ve already beaten it, yeah? So maybe the thing you’ll get out of it is… a good time messing around with a new play mode.

Sometimes the journey is, itself, the destination.

neonix said on Jan. 28, 2010

It’s just a fun hack guys, not meant to be anything serious.

Chrissii said on Jan. 28, 2010

I’m surprised you folks seem so against this o.o It just seems neat for if you’ve played through the game a gajillion times, and you feel like replaying through the game again for just the story’s sake, yanno?

[…] Direct link here addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

Robert said on Jan. 29, 2010

I keep laughing when I see Picky bust into the door and shout NEW GAME PLUS. then you black out to find yourself at the begging of the game again.

FuzzyPicklez said on Jan. 30, 2010

Awesome, I LOVE Chrono Trigger!

Now I FINALLY get to USE that Gutsy Bat!

FuzzyPicklez said on Jan. 30, 2010

Awesome, I LOVE Chrono Trigger!

Now I FINALLY get to USE that Gutsy Bat!

Meirose said on Jan. 30, 2010

I’ve played a little into Earthbound’s New Game Plus and some of the monsters still charge you, despite being extremely weak (almost had a surprise attack from a Mobile Sprout!). Plus, one Territorial Oak left Ness with 1 HP despite entering the battle at full health. Watch out for Apple kid’s inventions, it will give you a duplicate… and you can’t store the extra receiver 🙁

Johnwalt said on Jan. 31, 2010

It won t let me patch it O_o :(!!!

Rich said on Feb. 5, 2010

I like having duplicate key items. Reminds me of getting two race logs in Chrono.

mr.saturn 64 said on Feb. 22, 2010

cool i wonder what happend if you use PSI on the starman Juinor

Rockman.EXE said on Mar. 10, 2010

Wait…I have a question, which might seem stupid, but I have an EarthBound ROM on my Wii (My first time playing the game, actually) and I’m pretty far into the game, I believe. (Just reached the “Your Sanctuary” point in Dalaam) Now, my question is…can I patch my current ROM and also keep the save data I have? I doubt it…

Mato said on Mar. 10, 2010

Patching it shouldn’t cause any problems for you, but you might want to back up your ROM and save just in case.

Rockman.EXE said on Mar. 10, 2010

Alright ^^ Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.

Helter Skelter Ω said on Mar. 13, 2010

“NEW GAME PLUS” Pretty fun hack, but now, moving on to Mother 3 >:’D

JBcristal said on Mar. 16, 2010

Gee, Picky is enters like… “Time to go back to the past! PK NEW GAME PLUUUUUUUUUS!!!”
Gee, why counld they as Picky to send them to the past when they needed to defeat giygas?

Lunatsu13 said on May. 21, 2010

Whenever I patcht this, even when using the Easy Earthbound patcher, it loads, says BAD ROM, and stops. What am I doing wrong? please email me with an answer – asukame1@yahoo.com

TGP said on Jul. 6, 2010

I’m assuming this was done by resetting all the flags? Neat.

Bigjake52 said on Jan. 10, 2011

for an update could it take out all key items? that is kind of nessary if no one wants dupes

PkThunder! said on Mar. 27, 2011

I understand this is rather old xD But im intrested in replaying earthbound, will this fail the checksum on my rom?

Mato said on Mar. 27, 2011

Changing any data in a ROM will cause the ROM’s checksum to fail, it’s perfectly normal. If you’re worried about the anti-piracy stuff, don’t be, you have to do REALLY crazy stuff to get that stuff to trigger.

Anonymous said on Mar. 28, 2011

Ahh ok thank you xD

pokedart9001 said on Feb. 10, 2013

@Johnwalt: what operating system and patcher are you using?