Rare EarthBound Ruler for Sale!
I guess it’s no secret that games on the Wii Virtual Console are basically ROMs wrapped in a bunch of other stuff, so shortly after the system was released people figured out how to put custom ROMs onto the Virtual Console. I know you can use the Homebrew Channel to play almost any old game you want, but some people prefer that feel of authenticity. Here’s one guy who went the extra mile to make it look like an authentic, official Nintendo release of EarthBound for the VC:
I don’t know how to do any of this fancy schmancy console modding/hacking stuff, so I can’t help you. But if you’re tired of waiting for the game, this is an option that might tide you over.
For a little more of that authentic feel, you can also try applying a small patch I made that makes some changes to the game that Nintendo would probably make before releasing the game. It’s a very small patch, I only had to change 7 bytes to fix some of the probably more legally troublesome songs in the game. If I can do it, surely Nintendo can, but oh well. I documented the changes in a readme file just in case anyone wants to build off of it. Have fun!
- “What If EarthBound Was Released on the Virtual Console” hack, version 0.1 – (I don’t really plan on releasing any more versions though)
Other Related Posts:
100 Comments to EarthBound, Virtual Console-Style
- Lvl.1 Chef: Thanks for the shout out! Jammy’s really doing some great stuff and I love that Pork Noodle cup haha. Makes me want to try doing...
- 4am: Cool, very cool. On another note, I wonder how Jeffman is doing with the translation of MOTHER 1+2 currently. I hope he decided to use the...
- PSI MOTHER: cómo me gustaría comer un ramen al estilo de Mother3 ;( bueno.. aunque creó qué es fácil de hacer ya qué mientras me hacía un bocadillo...
- PSI MOTHER: viva MOTHER
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...