January 30th, 2010 | EarthBound, Itoi, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

I often see a lot of misconceptions and false info about EarthBound-related stuff going around, so from time to time I think I’ll cover a few of them.

Giygas

There’s a lot of incorrect info out there about Giygas, much of it stemming from part of an interview with Shigesato Itoi (see here). In it, Itoi uses similes to explain his inspiration for Giygas, but Western fans seem to take those similes at face-value.

For example, Itoi mentions that Giygas is the breast of a woman in a traumatizing movie he saw as a child. If you continue reading though, what he’s actually saying is that when he was coming up with Giygas, he wanted to create for the player the same messed-up feelings he had at that point in his childhood. NOT that Giygas is literally a breast or that he’s literally a rape victim or anything like that.

Last year I tracked down a copy of that movie and translated part of it and posted the important stuff online:

The weird thing is that people claim to hear similarities between the music in the movie and the Giygas battle, or that they see a similarity between the woman and Giygas’s face, or that the baby inside her is the infamous Giygas fetus. This is all overanalysis. According to Itoi and EarthBound’s musicians, Itoi let them handle the music 100%. Itoi had never revealed this movie trauma stuff until 2003, so any similarities between the movie music and the Giygas stuff is in the minds of the listener. In fact, that was Itoi’s stance for a lot of things: he let the staff do whatever they wanted. Moonside was entirely created by several other people on the staff, for example. So it’s wrong to think that Itoi did the music, did the art, did the direction, did the sound effects, the animation, etc. all by himself. This was similar to what happened with MOTHER 3, the musician basically did whatever he wanted, the artists went and did whatever they wanted, etc.

As for the fetus thing people like to talk about, it’s only a fan-created theory. Itoi has never said (or even hinted) anything of the sort.

Claus, Giygas, and Hidden Messages

MOTHER 3 has a ton of unused stuff, including some interesting unused battle backgrounds. Here’s a video of a bunch of unused battle stuff:

People claim that the Claus-related things are “unused boss battles”. We don’t know that, there’s actually no battle data for it at all. The only thing we see are backgrounds mixed in with garbage data from an unrelated sector of data (hence all the weird names, attacks, stats, etc.) People also claim that Claus was supposed to become Giygas or something like that. There’s no indication that Giygas was at any time part of the game’s story. The only way we’ll really know what this stuff is is by asking the developers.

There are also several unused music tracks in the game. One that I found was this:

Many people simply assume that it belongs to those unused battle backgrounds. The song doesn’t actually play during any of those backgrounds though (possibly due to garbage data), but people still overlay the song onto videos of the Claus face, which other people don’t realize. Then other people sometimes overanalyze and say that the voice in the background is saying “Ryuka” over and over, which is Lucas’s Japanese name. In fact, it’s just the “1 2 3 4!” clip that’s normally heard before DCMC concerts, played very slowly for a creepy effect:

Why was this stuff made? I’d love to know too. But we know basically nothing at this point, so whatever you may see out there is just more fan-created theory and not fact.

Onett

The pronunciation of Onett has always been a point of confusion for fans. But, regardless of logic, it isn’t meant to be pronounced like the number “one”. The town number gag is present in Japanese too, and the nice thing about Japanese kana is that the intended pronunciation is absolutely clear. Itoi intended it to have an “oh” sound and not a “wun” sound. Because of how Japanese and English work (and how things work when going between the two), “on it” or “oh nit” or “ah nit” or anything similar to that is fine. For those who know basic Japanese, Onett is spelled オネット in the game.

There are probably many more myths and questions fans have, so if you have any suggestions for future ones I can take a look at, let me know in the comments!

64 Comments to Clearing Up Some Myths

Someone said on Jan. 30, 2010

From way back when til now, I’ve always said it “ah-nit”. I feel so great knowing I was right and my EB guru friend was wrong. Mwahahahaha.

And honestly, I have never met anyone who thought that about Giygas, except the fetus thing.

123 Fake Street said on Jan. 30, 2010

Ett is 1 in swedish so it’s both 1 in english and 1 in swedish OnEtt

Anonymous said on Jan. 30, 2010

I’ve always pronounced it Oh-nett 🙂

floydhead42 said on Jan. 30, 2010

Yeah, I always pronounced it “aw-net”.

Antiaverage said on Jan. 30, 2010

Interesting that pronunciation is the most commented topic. I would love to see a pronunciation guide/discussion article.

I’ve always said “Ah-nit” which fits. I’ve wrestled with thinking that maybe it should be “Wuh-nit” but never thought it sounded good. I preferred to break what I thought was correct. I’m glad to hear it’s actually incorrect and that I can stick with my preferred “Ah-nit”.

@123 Fake Street, that’s really cool! I’m glad you shared that.

blahmoomoo said on Jan. 30, 2010

I always mentally pronounce Onett without the T… like “oh-nay” I guess I have been wrong all this time 😛

Now I’m wondering if anybody else did the same, or if I’m just special…

shibaru said on Jan. 30, 2010

I notice different people pronounce “Giygas” differently. I say “Gee-gus” My teacher friend who likes Earthbound prefers to say “Guy-gas”

kalasad said on Jan. 30, 2010

I am so tired of that fetus theory… It’s interesting, sure, but people cling on to it way too much.

I think some people need to know who exactly Giegue/Giygas is, as many like to claim they’re two different people…

Chrissii said on Jan. 30, 2010

Honestly, I’m so glad to hear there’s no confirmation of that fetus theory. I’ve always found it to be absurd. The area you encounter Giygas in is organic-looking, because it’s creepy. That’s it. The Devil’s Machine is just that, a machine. Not a fetus. Get over it, srsly. -_-

As for Onett… when I was little I always said “OH-nette”, but as I got older started calling it “WUN-ette” like the number, because everyone else did so I thought I had been wrong forever. >_>

Catch said on Jan. 30, 2010

I also said “Oh-nett”. It always sounded the best to me

Yoshimad123 said on Jan. 30, 2010

I always pronounced it Wun-ett, damnit.
I sure hope we find out what and why those unused songs and backgrounds were used in MOTHER 3 some day.

missy said on Jan. 30, 2010

it’s funny how many of these false fan-made theories there are. I think my most hated one is the fetus theory though. it has no proof, but ppl keep going back to it lol

LightningLuigi said on Jan. 30, 2010

Thank you, I’ve been trying to clear this stuff on YouTube for months now. Now I can just link hear.

Mato, have you by chance seen my video explaining my theory for the Claus backgrounds? Basicly, I believe all the backgrounds were, in some way, meant to be used in the final battle. The backgrounds would transist between each other just as those actually used in the battle (since the actual background used in the fight is also just a series of transisting backgrounds). There is even an interview with Itoi where he said than he changed the final battle to make it lighter, and I believe that change was the series of backgrounds used. Just a theory, of course, but I’d check out the video if your interested. Its actually in the Related Videos of the last two videos you posted, its called “Mother 3: The Truth of the Claus Backgrouns” (decieving title, of course, but I had to get people interested).

Anon said on Jan. 30, 2010

The one theory that really confuses me is the one that says Ness is the guy who goes around selling food in Mother 3, because he sells steak, he looks like a grown-up Ness, he doesn’t talk much, he just called “Guy” in the game…

I’d love it if Itoi could actually tell us about all these theories and stuff, since there are such huge gaps between the games, plotwise.

Chrissii said on Jan. 30, 2010

@Anon, I’ve never heard that before, and I don’t remember that guy! Sounds silly though… isn’t it implied that M3 takes place in an earlier era than EB? I mean, Porky runs off with his time machine at the end of EB… and the world in M3 seems to be much less developed than that of EB. of course, that could just mean that the world of EB was destroyed in the future, and the world of M3 came to be after that, but… then Ness still wouldn’t exist anyways.

Argh. I think people read too much into things sometimes, this is making my brain hurt. 😛

MarioFan3 said on Jan. 30, 2010

I’ve heard too many theories that Flint is Ness, or his son related somehow, and that several people in Tazmily Village are Jeff, and Picky, and other characters from Mother2. Whilst those DO have a striking resemblance to Mother2 characters, I’m at a loss as to what to believe, there is no proof for either side of the argument.

Or people say that the white ship is the same ship as the one George flew. Again, there’s no proof either way, this is kinda like religion eh? Choose what you believe, that sort if thing. 😉

As for the Onett thing, I’ve always said On-ett, as that’s the only way I can say it, in two syllables. Eh, it’s close enough right?

(maybe accents play a big part in pronunciation?)

missy said on Jan. 30, 2010

@Chrissii:
Mother 3 takes place in the future — way in the future. the rest of the world was destroyed by pollution, war, etc. but one little island remained untouched. I suggest you read up on Mother 2: Harmony, since it has a lot of great theories in it ( one being how everyone got to the island )

Roo said on Jan. 30, 2010

Thank you for clearing up the Onett pronunciation once and for all! In all honesty I wasn’t sure if I was pronouncing it correctly as “On-it” all these years. (And apparently, from looking at the above comments, I wasn’t the only one)

It’s nice to finally have come closure on that.

Chrissii said on Jan. 30, 2010

@missy, that sounds fair, but again, is any of this actually stated in the games/by Itoi? Or just speculation?

LakituAl said on Jan. 30, 2010

Since Spanish is my native language, I always pronounce Onett like “On it”. Yay! However, I wish I could say the same about Giegue. The Ktakana tells me is Gee-Goo, but other people say Guyg or something.

Also, please do something about the Loid Andonuts theory, please!

Jungyin said on Jan. 30, 2010

I wouldn’t call the fetus theory “fan”-created. When it first appeared, I only ever saw it spouted by trolls trying fool gullible people, now it only seems only recent fans and people that don’t really care about Earthbound perpetuate it.

@Chrissii
When Mother 3 takes place in relation to Mother 2 hasn’t been stated anywhere. While Mother 3 does take place after “the end of the world”, there’s no confirmation that world is the same world that Mother 2 takes place in.

DragonKazooie89 said on Jan. 30, 2010

If you want to see some myths and related to EarthBound and Mother 3, here are a coupe of links that might get your interest. However, all of them are fan-created ones and quite a few are interesting while others are just plain out-there.

Yoshitsuna said on Jan. 30, 2010

I pronounce things like this:

Onett= Oh-Net
Giygas= Guy-gis or sometimes by it’s Japanese

Geigue= Gee-Gway

ShirowWolf said on Jan. 30, 2010

I think people like sticking to the ‘Giygas-is-a-fetus-you-are-aborting-him’ idea simply because it causes ‘controversy’. Others use it because it sounds so ‘symbollic’ and ‘deep’, and it’s such a disturbing idea that people probably weren’t supposed to know about, but when it was ‘uncovered’, the ‘intelligent thinkers’ who ‘know the truth’ are like ‘Yeah….I’m smart…And we’re on to you, Itoi’.

No. No, you’re not. Nothing was ‘uncovered’. Giygas is not a fetus and you are not ‘aborting’ him in the womb. Accept it.

Most other things I tend to hear aren’t ‘myths’ about the series, really; just speculation, and often times….they really go faaaaaaaar out there. People really do like to overanalyze, it’s true, and…think too long and hard about things…

Also….methinks most of the…ideas posted on your links aren’t…meant to be taken seriously, DragonKazooie89. I wouldn’t call a lot of them ‘just plain out there’; I think….they were made bizarre on purpose. I mean, when you start bringing in H.P. Lovecraft and…Xenosaga, a series that wasn’t MADE when Mother 2 was made, come on….Those aren’t meant to be taken seriously. 8P I…hope. ¬ ¬;

R7038XX said on Jan. 31, 2010

I’d love to know how Mother 1 & 2 are connected, if they even are. The only way I can really make any sense of it is if Giygas going back in time rewrote the future. Meaning that Mother 2 happened parallel to Mother 1, similar to the new Star Trek movie. But even that doesn’t make much sense if you think about it enough.

Karma said on Jan. 31, 2010

Interestingly enough, I heard all about this supposed theory about “Flint is Ness in the future” from everyone……… way after I had theorized that completely on my own while playing M3.

No, I don’t think it’s “official” or that it’s a fact. It’s totally just a theory that could be wrong, and i’ve always accepted that.

But it does make sense to me and I came up with it on my own, and THEN heard about other people having the same theory.

As to whether or not Itoi intended that? I dunno. He probably didn’t. He’s probably just look at all of us like we were crazy. 😛

Karma said on Jan. 31, 2010

*He’d

Anon said on Jan. 31, 2010

@Chrissii
It’s the guy with the chef hat. He appears in the beach, in the parking lot and in NPC. I remember seeing a HUGE theory on how he was brought to Lucas’ time by Porky, but I don’t remember where.

Also, I don’t think Flint is Ness. Leder said that everyone who came in the White Ship kept their names, so that’s probably not true.
The thing that puzzles me is how Flint got the Franklin Badge if Ness had it. …Then again, how did Paula give it to Ness if Ninten had it before?

Oh, man…

neonix said on Jan. 31, 2010

@Anon: Wasn’t there more than one Franklin Badge in MOTHER 1? So I believe Flint’s Franklin Badge could have been a completely different one than Ness’s.

As far as that slow creepy music, maybe it was meant to be some hallucination before/during a DCMC concert.

Nick said on Feb. 1, 2010

Oh their is the rumor of the baby background in Giygas’ boss battle. I don’t think that’s what it is. More reasonably and moderate evidence points to it being like a fight in their minds. so Giygas is to be in their heads. Para phrasing, “Itoi’s mental damage as a child, Ness’ face before and during the battle, when you remove the outer layer of the head you get in the mind, And once removed that makes you wanna cry scream for your mommies and wet yourself due to mental torture and fear.” Its a battle to remember Ness wont get his head handed to him.

Carl said on Feb. 1, 2010

I’ve always been perplexed by the people who pronounce “Giegue” as “Gee-gway” or similar. How do these people pronounce “dialogue,” “tongue,” or “catalogue”?

Anonymous said on Feb. 2, 2010

I like how this article contains the most disturbing parts from both games, and then explains out Onett is pronounced. Contrast man. lol.

Anonymous said on Feb. 2, 2010

@Anon

The vendor chef hat guy = ness theory was written by Giovanni on the Starmen.net forums. I think the post was archived somewhere if you go looking for it. It was pretty interesting.

I think -everything- in Earthbound was purposefully meatn to be left up to the person playing the game to fill in the blanks. Itoi said in an interview that that was the case from Ana = Paula, Ninten = Ness…It’s just up to the player.

MalixDexide said on Feb. 2, 2010

I never believed in that “Aborting a fetus” crap. I never believed in it even before watching the clip where Giygas came into mind.

I pronounce Giygas as, “Guy-Guess”

I used to call Onett, “One-Nett”. Not anymore. XD

Soiherduliekeb said on Feb. 2, 2010

I still think
Ninten is Ness’ father, and Ness was only one of the four so he could meet Paula, then have kids (Hiwana)

Then get married to Flint and have the dragon-needle pulling twins…….

Poe said on Feb. 2, 2010

oh lawd not that again

ghostgirl21696 said on Feb. 3, 2010

My theory is that Ninten was Ness or Paula’s cousin, depending on what you think (my guess is Ness, and Ninten lost the Franklin badge, which Paula found), and that Lucas and Clause are descendants of those characters. As for Clause I think His story is more of a darth-vader type(spelling?) Because he did something bad that hurt everyone, almost killed himself, got reconstructed by evil, and died in the end. The only difference was Lucas’ arm was not cut off.

“LUCAS!!! I AM YOUR BROTHER!!!!!!”
as for giygas, I think he just has some connection to gueigue.

Mr. Green said on Feb. 3, 2010

@ Carl

Exactly!

Personally, I pronounce Giegue as “Geeg” and Giygas as “Gih-gus” (Guy-gas and Gee-gus just don’t sound right to me, and Guy-gway sounds worse XP)

As for “Creepy Claus”, how come no one’s emailed Itoi or somebody about it? Didn’t Starmen.net have an interview about Mother 3? That was the opportune moment…

Ninji said on Feb. 3, 2010

Gee, these myths are creepy!! 😛 I already knew about the Giygas’ stuff, but I never really know about the whole Claus stuff!

Mr. Spike said on Feb. 4, 2010

Any of you thinking Giygas is a fetus, watch Uforia’s Top Ten Most Disturbing Bosses. The #2 entry will explain everything.

Mr. Spike said on Feb. 4, 2010

*On Youtube

LuigiandClaus! said on Feb. 8, 2010

I’ve always been interested in figuring out the purpose of Mother 3’s Battle Backgrounds, particularly the Unused claus Backgrounds. It might be a good idea if Mato or someone else who knew Japanese could contact Brownie Brown or Itoi and ask about the backgrounds. I’ve never actually been creeped out by them, though. On the other hand, people have also discovered very old EarthBound battle backgrounds lying around in the game’s battle backgrounds. I suspect that they were implemented early in development for testing purposes, but we’ll probably never know.

diel said on Feb. 9, 2010

It’s probable that the unused “claus” backgrounds were going to be used during the final battle as an indication of claus’s mental state changing as the battle progresses

ghostgirl21696 said on Feb. 10, 2010

I figure also, that the claus battle backgrounds say that during the battle, instead of becoming good, then killing himself, that claus was supposed to be killed, but did not give up, even in the afterlife. then, the power overrode him and his mind warped, just like giygas, so it doesn’t exactly mean he WAS giygas. On the other hand…

Erostratus said on Feb. 13, 2010

Truly sad how the fans live in denial. Truth is, interpretations way crazier than these are daily bread in literature and cinema… But hey, who am I to question the orthodoxy of Earthbound Central and their godlike administrators?

Tödlich said on Feb. 28, 2010

I always pronounced it on-et.

‘OT that Giygas is literally a breast or that he’s literally a rape victim or anything like that.’

Kinda WTF’d at that, if I’m honest >_>;;. Think I’d be terrified if I had Giygas shaped tits

Gabo said on Mar. 19, 2010

Ummmmm, that was somethin’ but not that much! i saw the scene, and to me, that was nothing!

Ness said on Mar. 20, 2010

Giygas- Guy-gas Onett- One-ett or a-nett

AmzRigh said on Jul. 21, 2010

Heheh, late to the party, here.

I’d always thought the Giygas fetus thing was, at least, plausible — it’s implied in M1 that Giegue is Maria’s alien-rape baby. But, having never *seen* the film which Itoi says inspired M2’s final battle, and having only heard that the scene in question was a rape (not a murder, as it actually appears to be), that did partially inform that opinion. So while this does remain internally consistent, it’s missing the allusion I thought it had before, making it a much weaker argument.

If anything’s for certain, though, it’s that Itoi is a master of subtlety. Few people could paint a dark picture with such bright colors.

Lumakiri said on Feb. 23, 2011

I’ve always said Guy-gas for Giygas and Guy-goo for Giegue, though I realise Guy-ig or Geig is probly more correct considering his mother 2 name (Gyiyg?)

On the Japanese said on Apr. 9, 2011

The article is a bit misleading about the pronunciation of Onett. It mentions that the Japanese is unambiguous (true) but then gives several “acceptable” pronunciations, none of which matches the Japanese.

The pronunciation of the Japanese is “oh-net-toe” – as in oh NET, not oh/ah NIT. (The ‘o’ sound at the end can be safely disregarded for the English pronunciation, since it is obligatory in Japanese.) There is no sounds like the i in ‘nit’ in the Japanese language.

The correct pronunciation is definitely “oh-net”.

TheMrSaturnGuy said on Apr. 10, 2012

I say Onett as oh-net.

Chris Highwind said on May. 3, 2012

Hm, I have a theory that maybe the unused track that everyone associates with Lucas should actually be used for Duster? Remember that Duster was amnesiac when he was playing with DCMC, so maybe the egg was messing with his mind, hence the “1 2 3 4”, and what I can make out as a distorted crowd cheering.

Captain Hampton said on May. 11, 2012

Some of the theories on TV Tropes are outright ridiculous… like Ness being the Scout.

I generally won’t believe any theory is true unless Itoi confirms one.

Earthbounder said on Jun. 12, 2012

I always called it oh ent… It made sence when I was 6

TEH FANZZZZZZZZZZZ said on Aug. 14, 2012

i pronounced it ” oh net”. and i think you should tackle lucas nightmare.

TEH FANZZZZZZZZZZZ said on Aug. 14, 2012

@ghostgirl21696
THERE THE SAME CHARACTER YOU BARNACLEHEAD

BusterTheFox said on Sep. 3, 2012

^ You clearly watch too much Spongebob Squarepants. 🙂

Funny thing is, I USED to pronounce it “Oh-net”, but somewhere along the line my mind decided it was “wun-ett”. I either heard it somewhere or I used too much logic. xD These are the Mother games we’re talking about, logic doesn’t always work.

Anonymous said on Mar. 1, 2013

I pronounce Giygas as gee-gus
Gieuge as ge-oog and Onett as on-it

megamegaman247 said on Apr. 6, 2013

I always pronounced it one-ett, I don’t know why but I have said it like that for years

refat17 said on Jul. 14, 2013

I don’t agree with the giygas is a fetus theroy, but I do agree that giygas looks like a fetus in I believe the final form. It could have just been a coincedence though.

[…] of the final boss, Giygas is freaking nightmare fuel. Many players of EarthBound have said that he looks like a fetus. I’m not so sure of that. To me, he looks Lethal Lava Land painting in Super Mario […]

[…] the end of Earthbound, the heroes travel back in time to defeat the final boss, an intergalactic alien named Giygas, who […]

[…] At the end of Earthbound, the heroes travel back in time to defeat the final boss, an intergalactic alien named Giygas, who […]