January 21st, 2010 | Images, MOTHER 3

I ran across this a while back on a forum somewhere I think. The guy had just started playing the MOTHER 3 fan translation.

Reminds me of what Itoi talked about in that huge interview he did about MOTHER 3. Just the simple act of being able to name stuff can add an extra layer of emotion, and it’s different for each player.

28 Comments to Character Naming Gets Personal

James said on Jan. 21, 2010

I used to name my Oregon Trail party after my friends, so when they die or get typhoid it’s more entertaining.

Mr. Nosy said on Jan. 21, 2010

I actually planned on doing this once.
(Oddly, in my last run of Mother 3 before I got rid of the GBA Wii emulator, I named the characters:

Luca: Tower
Claus: Chariot
Amber: Priestes
Flint: Emperor
Boney: Fool)

PsychedelicStarman said on Jan. 21, 2010

Lol, I always use default names. It’s just feels better for me, knowing all the characters original names.

Ginrei said on Jan. 21, 2010

I saw a drawn, comic-version of that exact story on deviantart not too long ago…
…which I can’t find now. Oh well; I agree with this sentiment very much, but on the whole I think funny names are better. In fact… it’s got a bad word, but: http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother3/Times-when-silly-names-are-bad/page/2#post1278238

hollow leviathan said on Jan. 21, 2010

Someone is annoyed that they’re empathizing a bit too much with a touching and sad portion of the game? Sometimes I wonder how much we value detachment and apathy. I’m thankful for whenever a story can shake me out of my indifference and make me feel something strongly.

Anonymous said on Jan. 21, 2010

I named Boney after my dog, and Claus after my best friend. A week later both of them actually died, which made the game very hard to play. EarthBound was a game I played when I was little to escape from my problems, and Mother 3 just wouldn’t let me do that… but that’s a good thing really. I was reminded I shouldn’t hide from my problems, let things numb me, or let a fantasy world have too much influence over my personal emotions.

As absorbing as the fantasy world portrayed in a game, movie, book, or music album can be, and as engaging as it can be, you can never let something that isn’t real control your emotions completely. If you’re not grounded in reality, your brain will melt. It’s cool that Mother 3 can make the player choke up, but at some point you have to say “This isn’t real, I’m going to go for a walk outside now.”

LakituAl said on Jan. 22, 2010

Mini Spoilers for Mother

@Anonymous and whoever else cares:
I kinda know what you mean. When playing Mother I named Ninten after me and Anna after my girlfriend. I got to the “Do you love me?” part less than a week after she broke up with me…

End of Spoliers

That’s why now I only name them random stuff, like Takeshi, Minoru or Parvatti.

pooppoop said on Jan. 22, 2010

i have a similarly touching story like anonymous and lakitual

i always named the girl characters after my male cousin because he was annoying and would annoy me while i was playing games. then i let the character named after him get killed a lot

Vinny said on Jan. 22, 2010

You know what’s really cool? Booting up an old copy of Earthbound that you haven’t played in years and seeing what you named the characters. I had a copy since I was just a wee lad and I wanted to play, and noticed I named my dudes after friends I haven’t seen in forever. It’s a weird feeling.

Big A2 said on Jan. 22, 2010

I did the same thing as “The guy”, although I knew what was coming thanks to me not being able to not click on the spoiler button.

Roo said on Jan. 22, 2010

I named an embarrassingly large number of RPG characters “Link” as a kid, but I kept the EarthBound characters at default. Beyond that, I got a little more creative as I played the Pokemon series:

Blue: Ness (of course)
Silver: Locke
Sapphire: Link
Fire Red: Celes (mixed things up as a girl)
Diamond: Erdrick

I’m starting to run out of names…

Chrissii said on Jan. 22, 2010

I used to name everything when I was younger, but that all changed when I got The Sims. I made a family based on my own, and you know how those Sims are with fireplaces.. :\

shibaru said on Jan. 22, 2010

I remember on Pokemon Mystery dungeon explorers of darkness I named the main character after myself and the partner Pokemon after someone I like towards the end of the main part of the story, well, That made it pretty interesting O.O;;

Godaigamer said on Jan. 22, 2010

I did the exact same thing! I felt so guilty when I killed off my mom. The only difference is that I named Claus after me and Lucas after my younger brother so I ended up having to kill myself (Claus, that is).

neonix said on Jan. 22, 2010

First time I played EB, I named Ness after myself, Paula after a girl I liked, Jeff after my best friend, and Poo was Poo.

These days, I either go with defaults, or funny stuff, but Poo is always Poo, ‘cuz well, that’s funny as it is.

kamanashi said on Jan. 22, 2010

I always named the characters taco, beans, pork, beef, Haruhi, fish, or any other random anime character or food I can think of.

Poopskin said on Jan. 22, 2010

I usually just use the default names; Lucas’ name is Lucas, not Evan.

Sora444 said on Jan. 22, 2010

heh reminds me of that time when I first played Pokemon Gold I named my rival my best friend then I found out that your rival in that game is an a hole, I felt sorry lol.

SuperBlooper057 said on Jan. 22, 2010

When I play Harvest Moon I always name my chickens based on soft drinks. Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, ect.

Saturn D said on Jan. 22, 2010

This is why I always use default names (not just in Mother, but in pretty much every game I play).

Haha, I’m reminded of when Ocarina of Time first came out and I didn’t know that whatever you put as your file name became Link’s actual name in the game, so I put my real name. Poor guy ended up with a girls name for the whole game (because I didn’t feel like making a new file, and I thought it was funny). Ouch.

That, and the original Pokemon games where I named my guy “YouIdiot”… 😛

Lucas's Claws >:3 said on Jan. 23, 2010

I have the awful habit of naming the main character in every game “F***er” – this made Mother 3 a lot harder to take seriously.

earthboundchronotrigger freak said on Jan. 25, 2010

I named link in oot doofus for fun

machine elf said on Jan. 25, 2010

I got stuck without an computer for awhile, but I still had the Mother 3 cartridge itself, in Japanese of course. The dialogue is so meaningless and takes away so much emotion that I felt like naming them like,

Hinawa – Pecan
Flint – Peanut
Boney – Shoe

The last one I pretend is a Beatle’s reference.

I’d like to name my characters after a phrase when I play Earthbound again, but 5 letters is too short. 🙁

machine elf said on Jan. 25, 2010

I was proud that Luchadore actually fit Link’s name in Majoras Mask. It felt like a fitting name…masks…etc.

Lucky said on Jan. 25, 2010

I named Claus after myself. That certainly made a fun ending.

Pkhypernova said on Jan. 27, 2010

My brother did that 2 🙁 So I died

TalonKhan said on Mar. 20, 2011

Always use my family’s names on the family :3

Nyx said on Feb. 29, 2012

@SuperBlooper057
Really? After that high-schooler god who destroyed the universe once out of boredom, then almost did it again? Really?