January 5th, 2010 | Smash Bros., Uncommon Knowledge

Good ol’ Tansunn sent in this cool discovery:

I was browsing through the model files in Brawl and discovered an odd texture for onigiri in the Onett pack. I did some searching and finally discovered its location – hidden inside of a flower box where you’ll never be able to see it in game. Here is the location of the onigiri:

Here it is with the flower box and grass hidden so you can see it:

And here is the actual texture file itself:

I haven’t checked any other stages, but I’ll definitely report if I find anything else like this in any of the other stages.

Reminds me of that hidden Mr. Saturn sprite in a Metroid texture. The developers sure did like to hide stuff!

25 Comments to A Secret Rice Ball in Onett

Gummidge said on Jan. 5, 2010

Oh wow, that’s cool! And making me hungry somewhat.

Poe said on Jan. 5, 2010

I wonder if the developers thought anyone would ever find this stuff.

Carl said on Jan. 5, 2010

I love this kind of discovery. It’s especially interesting when an element is not just hidden, but is hidden in such a way that it couldn’t possibly be found during actual gameplay. I guess the developers include this sort of thing just to amuse themselves. Finding one makes it feel like you’re getting an exclusive peek into the development process!

edcool1 said on Jan. 5, 2010

Isn’t that one of the food items that drops out of a party ball occasionally?

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 5, 2010

First that hidden Dosei-san, then a hidden onigiri? I wonder what other hidden stuff there is in stages…

PK Mt. Fuji said on Jan. 5, 2010

Gross, that onigiri has been on the ground for almost 2 years.

Ninji said on Jan. 5, 2010

This makes me wonder why rice balls weren’t in M2. Strange, but ewww…. that thing was probably abusively stuck into that the dirty soil, or behind it, but seriously that thing has expired several YEARS age… Bet you $50 that Pokey hid that rice ball…

blahmoomoo said on Jan. 5, 2010

Ninji: Mother 2 was set in the United States. At least, Itoi was aiming for the American/Western setting (Dalaam doesn’t count).

Portal-Kombat said on Jan. 5, 2010

Tasty.

Sora444 said on Jan. 5, 2010

I wonder if the Melee version still has that.

Anonymous said on Jan. 5, 2010

There’s so many neat things in the Mother stages of Brawl, like today for instance, I realised that you can actually “kill” the Ultimate Chimera in New Pork City, by destroying the bridge whilst it’s on it! 😀 (what happens is that it falls down, whilst roaring, it’s hilarious)
If you have the time, you can find stuff all over the place. 😉

MarioFan3 said on Jan. 5, 2010

^^ oops, that’s me btw… ~.~

LakituAl said on Jan. 5, 2010

@MarioFan3

Technically, you’re not killing it. You’re just passing the buck and causing big problems to whoever is down there!

Batandy said on Jan. 6, 2010

One word : LMAO

snes101 said on Jan. 6, 2010

@Sora444: The onigiri is present in Melee, actually!

This screen was taken with the Dolphin emulator and its free-look mode, really hard to position the camera but you can see the onigiri on the left side of the frame, and Young Link on the top-right.

PriestessPaula said on Jan. 6, 2010

Oh, boy, a jelly donut.

JoeShmoe said on Jan. 6, 2010

So, THAT is where it is! I remember seeing it once or twice, but I could never figure out where it was.

There’s also a small food-related object on the Mushroom Kingdom I stage in Smash Bros. Melee… Of course, not EarthBound related, but just thought I’d point that out.

Guess Sakurai was hungry when he was making Melee, or something.

JoeShmoe said on Jan. 6, 2010

(Oh, and just to point this out, there’s a tiny globe on the FOURSIDE stage of Melee somewhere. It’s only been seen on ripped textures — see if anyone can find THAT. ;P )

Grapefruits said on Jan. 7, 2010

While not Earthbound related, I thought I would mention that on the Pokemon Stadium 2 stage there is a neat little easter egg like this. During the ice portion of the stage, a cabin appears in the background. Inside the cabin is a picture of a cat. You can see it if you pause the game and look at the right angle. It is rumored to be Masahiro Sakurai’s cat.

neonix said on Jan. 7, 2010

Maybe that rice ball is like the green frog that was hidden on every page in the I-SPY books.

Ashura said on Jan. 8, 2010

@PriestessPaula

NOTHING beats a Jelly filled donut!

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGdIH0jFZU)

Espyo said on Feb. 28, 2010

Wow, awesome secret. I just confirmed (again) that this is indeed in Brawl. It’s inside the flower pot itself. I’ll upload a pic to Brawl Snapshots soon.

Zoom! said on Nov. 16, 2011

@Sora444 It does

RadicOmega said on Mar. 12, 2012

What is to gain of hidding a useless riceball in the stage?

If It was able to give you so HP then I’d see, but it doesn’t.

carlos said on Dec. 15, 2013