Earthbound (SNES)

January 27th, 2010 | Images, MOTHER 1

I think this is from an issue of EGM from many years ago. I don’t have the exact issue info, so if anyone knows that, lemme know.

Anyway, this looks like it was from a feature about games that didn’t get released outside of Japan. We all know the story about EarthBound Zero by now, but here’s a tiny article about it:

I guess the suggestion at the end wasn’t effective enough 🙁

26 Comments to A Look Back at EarthBound Zero

Robert said on Jan. 27, 2010

I feel like a bad Earthbound fan, I’ve have yet to beat Earthbound Zero and Mother 3, I dont care for level grinding, and in Mother 3 I keep losing my save files and having to start over, its my third time now

SuperTrainStationH said on Jan. 27, 2010

Skip the illegal ROMs? Ironic considering EGM had an in depth article on how to install mod chips into your Playstation or Sega Saturn back in the day.

Antiaverage said on Jan. 27, 2010

Now our only option is to beg and plead (and send money to) Mato for a translation of the GBA Mother 1+2

douglas said on Jan. 27, 2010

I’ll stick with the illegal roms, thanks

Ninji said on Jan. 27, 2010

I agree, if there was a MOTHER 1+2+3 collection on the Game Boy Advance and it was legitimately released in the U.S. Well, let’s just say I’d practically warp to GameStop and walk out happily looking like this: 😀 All day long…. *daydreams*

PK Mt. Fuji said on Jan. 27, 2010

I wonder if there’s anything stopping Earthbound Zero from being released on the VC?

Ice Sage said on Jan. 27, 2010

@PK Mt. Fuji: We already know that the Hippie battle music sounds way too close to Johnny B. Goode and is causing some legality issues, and there may be some other issues as well. I know that EBSessor found that the Eight Melodies sound very similar to the opening of “A Baby Just Like You” by Frank Sinatra.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to Mato’s 1+2 translation! 😀

Gurp said on Jan. 27, 2010

I still feel Earthbound Zero has a pretty good chance of making it to the VC
A. It was already cleared for localization.
B. Even with the couple legal hiccups, it still has a whole lot less than Earthbound.

@Robert
I never really thought Mother 3 needed much grinding to beat, I only think I needed to do some when I first got Lucas, and even then that only involved going up to Alec’s house and back before setting off through the tunnel.

SuperTrainStationH said on Jan. 27, 2010

While the EarthBound hotel theme is overtly infringing, the Hippy Battle Music should not be a problem.

there’s actually a market sound alike music and companies that specialize in it, you hear it used all the time in South Park, Family Guy, or Saturday Night Live when they need music for a parody and can’t get the rights to the original piece.

Claus said on Jan. 27, 2010

“Skip the illegal ROMs and write to Nintendo.”

Yeah, like that’ll ever work.

retarded mr saturn doy! said on Jan. 28, 2010

I no have intonet no maza 3 then!? zoom!

neonix said on Jan. 28, 2010

I really despise all these dumb legal issues. I would rather EarthBound never be re-released than see a mangled up version with the stuff I love torn out.

missy said on Jan. 28, 2010

interesting. just think how we ( RPG lovers ) would view them as these days. I mean, if this game was released here, I think a lot of other RPGs would follow it in its path. there are few modern RPGs, so there’d be way more if it was released, don’t you think?

as FF and DQ is the formula for every RPG, the Mother series would have been one of these ):

Gummidge said on Jan. 28, 2010

Ugh. I loved this game. What I would have done to have let it see a UK release all those years ago…

tiradefaction said on Jan. 28, 2010

Mato…finish the Mother 1 retranslation already!

#1 earthbound fan said on Jan. 28, 2010

I want to play mother 1 and 3, but I’m 12 years old and my dad won’t let me download those games!…why me..

WallHack said on Jan. 28, 2010

I’m pretty sure I have this issue hanging around somewhere… I remember reading this before I was an Earthbound fan, it’s in an article with (I think) 3 other canceled games.

Roo said on Jan. 28, 2010

I hate to say it, but I really think Mato’s translation of 1+2 is the closest we’re going to get to having Mother 1 released here.

Yeah, there’s the issues with music (that Nintendo doesn’t even feel the need to confirm), but I honestly just don’t think NoA cares enough about this series to do anything with it in North America. They seem to be content to let the fans do whatever they want with translations and ROMs, so we should probably just be happy they let us do that.

I’m looking at you, Square Enix, for putting the screws to Chrono Resurrection. 🙁

Ricardo said on Jan. 28, 2010

Skip the illegal ROMs, Write to Nintendo
Did the smoke something?!

Ricardo said on Jan. 28, 2010

Yeah! Yeah! Thanks EBCentral ads! Finally i’ve found a copy of the Mother 1 Cart for FC! Im buying it now! My Collecction is complete!

Yoshimad123 said on Jan. 28, 2010

It’s times like this that make me wish MOTHER 1 was released outside Japan. D:

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

Rando said on Jan. 28, 2010

And now I have the sudden urge to download an illegal ROM of earthbound zero and play it on my homebrew.

SuperTrainStationH said on Jan. 28, 2010

I’d like to remind everyone that had EarthBound Zero actually been released, it quite likely would have bombed and frightened Nintendo of even considering bringing MOTHER 2 over.

Leirin said on Jan. 30, 2010

I would normally agree with that closing statement, but seeing as how THAT ended up going… several times… well, not so much.

Zoom! said on Sep. 18, 2011

Who keeps posting those GoNintendo links?