Shigesato Itoi Mentions Starmen.Net
A sample cart/possible prototype cart of EarthBound is up for sale on eBay right now.
From the auction page:
The time has come for me to sell some of the gems in my collection, and this is probably the biggest of them.
For sale i have a prototype version of the great Earthbound, an RPG never released in Europe. It’s the NTSC version.
It comes in a official EPROM board, it was tested recently on a US SNES and works well.
I’m not sure if this is the complete game, or if it has any differences from the retail version, i’ve had it for some years but only for collection, never really played it much, perhaps 30, 40 minutes.
I own the retail version of the game, but never completed it, and also never played it much, so all i can say is that it doesn’t seem to be any differences.
Generally, sample cartridges would be sent out to companies for review/preview purposes, and flash carts like this were often used for testing purposes too. So that’s why things like this exist. There’s at least one other known sample/prototype cart of EarthBound out there (reference) but I don’t think it was ever confirmed if that one was different from the final version or not.
Any interested buyers should do more detailed research and ask lots of questions before bidding, of course.
Thanks to BottleRocket for the news!
Other Related Posts:
34 Comments to SNES EarthBound Prototype for Sale
- Mother2fan: I can’t even fathom why they would make such a minute change to that battle background.
- DJMankiewicz: Very interesting. I had suspected that Earthbound’s “dulled” battle effects were done in emulator rather than as a...
- Chivi-chivik: I think that the lightning change in the ‘PK Flash get’ animation was put so you can see better how the lightning strikes...
- joe411: Perhaps some changes were made since the Wii U’s GBA emukator adds a darker color filter?
- Mato: DIO: We checked those too, Mother 2 has so many versions that I dunno what to call the Wii U version, but it and the New 3DS ones are the...