Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #48
Takara Tomy Mother 2 Gyiyg no Gyakushuu Phone Strap Figure Poo

December 24th, 2009 | Smash Bros.

I’m a few days behind the times on this one, but apparently Super Smash Bros. (for the Nintendo 64) was released on the North American Virtual Console a few days ago. Ness is a secret character in the game that you can unlock if you’re good at it. I don’t recall the requirements offhand, it was something like beat the game on normal difficulty without using any continues and losing less than 3 lives.

Man, I remember when it was first released like it was yesterday. I could visit memory lane all day, but I’ll skip that and just link to this old section on the old EarthBound.Net. I remember back then that it seemed like 1999 was a billion years away from when EarthBound was released. And we thought the series was neglected back then!

Anyway, those of you who are still praying and hoping for EarthBound on the Virtual Console, you can at least get your Ness on with this game ;)

Thanks to the many people who alerted me to the VC release!

22 Comments to Smash Bros. on Virtual Console

Psi-Rockin said on Dec. 24, 2009

Great news! At least it is one step closer to seeing Earthbound on VC; Merry Christmas Tomato! Merry Christmas Everybody!

Linkzcap said on Dec. 24, 2009

Now that I think about it, that was the first way I knew Ness because I was too young for EB. Still have it on my N64!

KingDarian said on Dec. 24, 2009

I don’t think this has any sway on EarthBound being released on Virtual Console. Neither console MOTHER game has even surfaced on the Japanese Virtual Console. I’m wondering if they will ever see a re-release in any territory.

userofdoom said on Dec. 24, 2009

I need to get a points card :T

PK-Lovin' said on Dec. 24, 2009

Just got it the other day! Awsome game!

SuperBlooper057 said on Dec. 24, 2009

I need to get an internet enabled Wii :T

Puppyduck said on Dec. 24, 2009

I believe the requirements were beating Hard Mode without using any continues, but there may have been a life cap as well.

I own the actual game though, so I don’t need to get it on VC.

Mister Crosser said on Dec. 24, 2009

Oh man, I just clicked on the link to earthbound.net…
It’s hard to believe how much starmen.net has evolved…

Dr. Meat said on Dec. 24, 2009

I will not be getting my ness on anything thank you very much sir and how dare you suggest such an ungentlemanly endeavor!

Yoshimad123 said on Dec. 24, 2009

Hehe, it was released ages ago for Europe.

BaG_2.0 said on Dec. 24, 2009

Yes, my first experience of Ness, fallowed soon by me finding an Earthbound cart at a garage sale, and soon after that, the gut wrenching fear of Giygas. My childhood was strange, I was born smack in between the SNES and N64, but started off with a NES.

JamesBond007 said on Dec. 24, 2009

How to unlock Ness in Super Smash Bros. – the correct way:
Finish 1P Mode on Normal difficulty, 3 lives, no continues. Defeat Ness after that.

Leirin said on Dec. 24, 2009

This game brings back great memories… it was my first exposure to EarthBound. Thanks for the nostalgia.

sticktendo said on Dec. 25, 2009

Right on schedule. I just knew it’d come out in December.

Abusive Deadbeat Dad said on Dec. 27, 2009

I owned the game briefly, and I don’t remember having to do anything special to get Ness. Maybe there was a code I used?

Big A2 said on Dec. 27, 2009

That screen you get when you win with Ness is “so good!”

I seriously laughed my ass off when I saw it.

resetsurvivor said on Dec. 28, 2009

I’m sure this has been discussed before but…
I was making an iron-on for a shirt with the chosen four clay models when I noticed that the models for Ness and Paula are different for the American release. The American (and/or European?) models are much taller and thinner. The Smash Bros 64 picture above contains the Japanese clay models. Any one know the reason?

PKSTARMAN said on Dec. 29, 2009

I got it the day it was released and unlocked the Sound Test, Items Changer, The 4 secrets, every ending and completed every Bonus Practice with every character. In just a Single day… I feel… good. lol

MarioFan3 said on Jan. 18, 2010

Has anyone else noticed that the two Runaway Five members are in Black?
This is for the American release right? So shouldn’t they be in different colours to avoid lawsuit!?
AH-HAH, so Nintendo (like everything else lately) is just being too lazy to change this detail!

gg said on Jun. 28, 2011

They probably used japanese concet art.

Minifig2401 said on Jan. 9, 2012

Aw the congratulations thing is so cute. man we may be one step closer to having NoA crack

NINTENdoMaster said on Jan. 3, 2014

Any references to Japan in the game are because Smash Bros. was only going to be released in Japan, but it was released in North America too. I don’t know why.