December 15th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge

About a year or two ago, Itoi’s company set up an online music shop on his site. It was well-crafted and made to resemble a shop a lot like you might find in MOTHER 3; Itoi even went so far as to hire one of the Brownie Brown artists who worked on MOTHER 3 to do art for the music site.

The shop primarily sells jazz music, and you can check it out here.

It’s pretty nice, and if you look closely, you’ll even see a few MOTHER series items in the shop!

Just recently, a new “floor” was added to the online shop, this one specifically for Moonriders music. If you don’t know, Moonriders is the band Keiichi Suzuki is in, Keiichi Suzuki being one of the main music composers for the MOTHER series. You can see the new floor here.

And like last time, there are little MOTHER-related things scattered around the store. See what you can find!

Itoi and the Moonriders have done stuff in the past, most notably is this music video starring Shigesato Itoi. I guess this new store floor is related to Keiichi Suzuki’s recent visit to Itoi’s office too.

So even though there are no new MOTHER/EarthBound games on the horizon, it’s still nice to see stuff like this being made once in a while. Who knows, maybe eventually stuff like this will give Itoi that itch to make another game some year again πŸ˜›

41 Comments to Shigesato Itoi’s Music Shop

TheMetroidMan said on Dec. 15, 2009

Really neat stuff! I spotted the Clayman on the first floor, and a Starman, Mr Saturn, Sky Runner,and one of the UFOs on the second! Good find Mato!

JudgeDeadd said on Dec. 15, 2009

Here’s what I found:

one_main.html:
– One of the CDs on the leftmost shelf has Lucas & Claus on it.
– There’s a toy Clayman on the shelf behind the counter.

main.html:
– A toy Lil’ UFO and Starman on top of the leftmost shelf.
– A toy Sky Runner is on the counter.
– A toy Mr. Saturn on the shelf behind the counter.

main.html – the ones I’m uncertain about:
– That jukebox looks familiar, but I cannot pin it down exactly.
– The drums seem to be a sprite taken directly from one of the games (am I right?)
– The man with the headphones on… I think I’ve seen him (or someone with a very similar head) in Mother 3.

JudgeDeadd said on Dec. 15, 2009

Darnit! Curse my slow typing! TheMetroidMan hit “Submit” faster than me πŸ™

TheBatFax said on Dec. 15, 2009

I remember when you posted the first floor ages ago. And then I tried to figure out how to buy stuff from it. I got as far as setting up an account of some sort to buy stuff from the store, but then my bank (or some sort of ungraspable force) kept my payment from going through… Then I found that the CDs that were up there at the time were available on iTunes and went for it there.

Jeagle101 said on Dec. 15, 2009

What about that clock on the first floor? Isn’t that the one from EarthBound?

Also, that camera could be a reference to the Photo guy who kept popping up every 12 seconds in the game…

Nice little stuff πŸ˜€

Jeagle101 said on Dec. 15, 2009

Excuse me, I meant TELEPHONE not CLOCK… Yeah, I’m certainly not an idiot…

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

TheMetroidMan said on Dec. 15, 2009

@JudgeDeadd
Haha its ok, you wrapped up the findings better than I did. I didn’t notice the Lucas and Claus CD though! I wonder how much more is there…

Ilana_ said on Dec. 15, 2009

AWESOME! *_*

I wish that exist a store like this… ;_;

Yoshimad123 said on Dec. 15, 2009

Heh, that’s nifty. I’ll try to point out the things I spotted.

one_main.html:
MOTHER 3+ on one of the shelves.
Clayman plush on the right-hand side.
That could possibly be a teddy bear from EarthBound ontop of the shelves.
Possibly Ness’s dad’s phone.

main.html:
Mr. Saturn on the right.
Sky Runner.
L’il Saucer ontop of the shelf.
Starman.
I think that’s a K900 as well? I can’t remember what they look like that much. D:

KingDarian said on Dec. 15, 2009

That music playing the background is quite catchy. It’s great to see little things hidden on Itoi’s websites like this.

Do you think he requested those knickknacks, or did the Brownie Brown team decide on all the little touches?

James said on Dec. 15, 2009

On the Moonriders’ Floor: Thunder Tower (M3) on the counter by the register…

James said on Dec. 15, 2009

Or maybe it’s just Toyko Tower… slightly disappointing! Was it Itoi’s inspiration for Thunder Tower?

UltraGamer15 said on Dec. 15, 2009

Is that Biff in the Moonriders floor?

ropesnake said on Dec. 15, 2009

The two in the front look like older versions of Lucas and Kumatora…hmm.

santiagoff said on Dec. 15, 2009

Oh that place. I never really understood what it was till I saw this post lol

BottleRocket said on Dec. 15, 2009

Oh, I saw that while it was “under construction” a couple days ago. There was a Mother 3 present box in place of that Mr. Saturn, from what I recall.

Linkzcap said on Dec. 15, 2009

Wow… It’s like we have a whole new game. Well, at least we get to see some more amazing Brownie Brown art! (And some nice music)

Mr Disguised Saturn said on Dec. 15, 2009

Oh come on! You can’t click on the mini mother 3+ album!

Ninji said on Dec. 15, 2009

Pretty neat, I wonder if there are ay other M3 sites/mini-games like this one…

Ninji said on Dec. 15, 2009

You know what? I now this may sound totally absurd to you guys, and you’ll probably all call me stupid, but why don’t we reprogram the MOTHER 3 circuit-board to make the programming language into english (or something like that), because If you’re like me, you prefer you games on a console or handheld rather than on an emulator, but come on guys! If a dedicated fan like Mato could make a full translation of MOTHER 3 then why can’t fans like us tweak the game into English? Please correct me if I’m wrong here…

Ness Hero said on Dec. 15, 2009

I LOVE DR. ANDONPEANUTS NINJI. πŸ˜‰

Ninji said on Dec. 15, 2009

First of all, for the past while you’ve been an annoying pushover ever since you got your update, second of all quit using capitalization, you’re practically spamming, third of all WTF are you talking about? Fourth of all, quit posting such absurd nonsense….

santiagoff said on Dec. 15, 2009

@Ninji: First of all, “first of all” is the only one using “of all”, second, third, fourth and on use only the number. Second, that isn’t something we can do, neither is it easy to do… I really don’t even know what you’re talking about tweaking a circuit board, but doesn’t sound possible. And third, don’t post this on Mato’s blog, go post things like that on the M3 board on starmen or something. Stop being annoying :/

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 15, 2009

You can’t reprogram a GBA ROM cartridge (ROM = Read Only Memory). People also call the GBA game on the computer ROMs because they are essentially a data dump from the ROM chip on a game cartridge. As a file, it may be modified, as Mato did with Mother 3 (the UPS patch that you download from the web site tells the patching program how to modify the original ROM file to make it match the hacked and translated game that he made from the ROM). However, you can’t put the modified data back onto a cartridge.

People can create a pirated cartridge from a ROM, but that requires making the circuit board and using a flash memory chip (which is modifiable memory).

If you want to play Mother 3 on the original hardware, you will want to get a flash cart, which is a special cartridge that allows you to load ROM files onto it. Then you connect it to your GBA console (or DS, but not DSi) and the hardware reads the game data from the flash cart as if it was a regular ROM-based cartridge. Naturally, the flash cart also has a game save area. Google to see where you can buy a GBA flash cart if you are interested.

Ninji said on Dec. 15, 2009

okay, thanks santiagoff, also you hate me don’t you?

Ninji said on Dec. 15, 2009

also, thanks blahmoomoo, but don’t flash carts function like emulators in a sort of way? (can break down and get glitchy and not work etc.) but I guess a flash cart is the closest that I can get….

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 15, 2009

It really depends on how good a flash cart you get. It doesn’t emulate, it just serves the game data to the GBA and has the ability to save games, plus some extra features (including multiple games and cheat codes, if you get a good one). At least the game will run at the speed it should run at consistently, whereas emulation, even on a good computer, can have timing errors, messing up the music note combo rhythms.

Ninji said on Dec. 15, 2009

okay thanks for info blahmoomoo! πŸ˜€

santiagoff said on Dec. 15, 2009

@Ninji: I don’t hate you. It’s just that… please, post comments related to the post. This is not a forum, just a blog. If you want to discuss whatever related to EB but not related to this blog, please do so in the starmen.net forums. You will get a lot more help than here, I assure you that :/

Vinny said on Dec. 16, 2009

Big jazz fan here. Is this stuff like a Japan only itunes kind of shop? Just wondering what bands and such he has there.

Xi said on Dec. 16, 2009

@santiagoff

Stop feeding. It will get you nowhere.

Xi said on Dec. 16, 2009

Moreso than what the store is selling, it is nice to see that Itoi still has the Mother series on the brain.

santiagoff said on Dec. 16, 2009

@Xi: Yeah, you’re right, I should stop. Also, I’d like it if Itoi had some mother merchandise on sale here… but I guess not :X

Komaru said on Dec. 16, 2009

It’s also interesting that the page gets updated every day, with subtle changes in all the people standing around.

Father said on Dec. 17, 2009

Awsome didnt know about that music shop.

PikachuMan said on Dec. 23, 2009

Dunno if it’s been mention before(too lazy to read the comments :V), but the people in front look like Lucas and Kumatora as adults… married? :O

ZoC said on Dec. 26, 2009

That background music is so catchy! Anyone know where i could buy it from?

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Jan. 30, 2010

i wish some one could translate this in english that would be cool

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Jan. 31, 2010

alot of this music sounds like it could be in mother 3…. oh wait it IS itois music shop

emobook101 said on Jan. 16, 2012

Ness’s dad is on the first floor.

Find Merchandise!