December 9th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

This topic came up in the last post about the sample/prototype EarthBound board currently on eBay, so I thought I’d make a post about it here. Here is what EarthBound looks like if you strip it down and take the case off:

earthbound board

And here’s an EarthBound cartridge we currently believe is counterfeit:

earthbound counterfeit board

(Pics and info courtesy of blehlza, see here for more details)

It’d be nice to dump that cart to find out more about it. But I don’t know what’s become of it since it surfaced a few months back. Perhaps it’s the origin of the ROM version with all the anti-piracy stuff hacked out.

I’ve also heard rumors of some guy on eBay making new EarthBound carts the way one would make EarthBound Zero prototype reproductions and then selling them on eBay. If true, the insides would probably look a bit different than the real board too.

38 Comments to Naked EarthBound

Spitball Sparky said on Dec. 9, 2009

Somebody is defiling EarthBound.

santiagoff said on Dec. 9, 2009

Bastards, stop your illegal selling! >:0

resetsurvivor said on Dec. 9, 2009

UltimaLink said on Dec. 9, 2009

I actually expected something about Ness’s naked sprite by the title.

Don’t look at me like that.

userofdoom said on Dec. 9, 2009

I did too O_o

SmaMan said on Dec. 9, 2009

Me three. I thought it was some hack where someone replaced the normal sprite of Ness with the naked one… man why did I even click this in the feed?

Steve! said on Dec. 9, 2009

Someone on ebay was selling 10 copies of earthbound for $71 buy it now or best offer. I bought one and it seemed kinda weird that the person accepted my offer of $60. There isn’t a chance I bought a counterfit cartridge is there.

Poe said on Dec. 9, 2009

I’d be suspicious of anyone who claimed to have 10 copies of EarthBound in their possession.

Steve! said on Dec. 9, 2009

yeah even weirder is the same seller is selling ten more copies priced at around $80 each.

Komaru said on Dec. 9, 2009

Nudity in my Earthbound Central?!

Mato said on Dec. 9, 2009

Steve!: If you’re willing to take apart the cart to check that would help solve the mystery. Maybe check the case and the label too, compare it with other SNES games.

starbound said on Dec. 9, 2009

@smaman Me four!

Ninji said on Dec. 9, 2009

Anybody have any suggestions for X-mas presents I should get? I’m looking for 1 more present that’s Earth-Boundy and don’t suggest mach pizza freshener or mr.saturn plushies ’cause I’m already getting those.

Also, Mato, I think that EBC should have a set of rules, so I took the liberty to make ten of ’em!
10. No trolling or flaming of any kind!
9. No spamming, everyone hates spammers >.<
8. Only comment if necessary, (example: important info, cool facts, thoughts, etc.
7. Don't be rude to other members, treat the people here with RESPECT!
6. Don't harass Mato, he's just an average guy like you, not some crazy tech blogger
5. Only post news of interest, don't just give random info! (ex: look at these screenshots!)
4. Don't curse or say inappropriate things in your comments, keep it clean and simple
3. Don't make random assumptions that will annoy other users, only make assumptions if you've played all the games and know them by heart!
2. Don't insult the Mother/EarthBound series, to the people here, it's considered HIGHLY offensive, remember, we the members of EBC are like cultists!
1. If you want to contribute to this site, then that's great! HOWEVER, don't consistently ask Mato and members of this site for a job or for help, or else you will get flamed and asked to kindly leave the site….

So, what do you think? 🙂 Also, Mato, are you still accepting ads for this site?

Ninji said on Dec. 9, 2009

WTF, my comment didn’t get posted! Was it because it was really long?????????? 🙁 It was IMPORTANT

Ninji said on Dec. 9, 2009

Anyone recommend any EarthBound style EB-ish presents? And don’t recommend the Mach Pizza Air Freshener or a Mr.Saturn plush, ’cause I intend to get ’em, I just need at least one more EB-ish present All help is appreciated…

Ninji said on Dec. 9, 2009

Poe said on Dec. 9, 2009

Ninji, can you please calm down and not use so much unnecessary punctuation?

Steak said on Dec. 10, 2009

If I was a rulebreaker I would lol @ Ninji

Xi said on Dec. 10, 2009

I’m pretty sure Ninji is a troll. Knew we’d get at least one in this relaxed atmosphere eventually.

How does the seller’s feedback look? (What is his feedback score, what is the percentage negative feedback, etc.)

Xi said on Dec. 10, 2009

(Note: I like a relaxed atmosphere!)

SmaMan said on Dec. 10, 2009

It’s not that we don’t appreciate a nice set of rules, but they clearly don’t belong in this thread.

Besides, you’re in violation of your own rules #8 and 9 and possibly even #6 and 4.

Ninji said on Dec. 10, 2009

Sorry guys, I didn’t know my comment was posted (the one on rules!) so I started freaking out…… (sigh) this happens a LOT

santiagoff said on Dec. 10, 2009

Ninji… calm down. Don’t you realize something about that set of rules? You’ve broken most of them.
1. You’ve harassed Mato to post your news :/
3. Inventing the rules, you’re assuming we need a set of rules, and we don’t need any. Also, assuming everyone hates you in older posts. This is a really stupid rule IMO.
4.”WTF”, there, you’ve cursed :/
5. What about your news of the Recyclabe EB box? >_>
6. Read rule number 1.
7. You annoy most of us, you’re breaking your own rules AGAIN.
8. 4 comments in one post? Dude…
9. Read above :/
10. Read those 4 comments.

So yeah, just calm down and stop trying to call our attention.

Steve! said on Dec. 10, 2009

The seller really had no negative feedback, just a suspicious amount of EarthBound games. They may have sent me a fake game but I haven’t gotten it yet and don’t know. The seller was baby_love2007, they actually have some pretty good snes games.

Ninji said on Dec. 10, 2009

Okay…. Ummmmmmm… Can everyone please ignore the rules list, and please ignore me because clearly, I’m just wasting your time…

sticktendo said on Dec. 10, 2009

When I first saw this topic, I assumed someone made a hack of EB with naked characters. Oh, well.

LakituAl said on Dec. 10, 2009

So, some people thought just about Ness, and yet you would include Paula, Pokey, Tony, Belch, everybody? You took it to the infinity and beyond!

SmaMan said on Dec. 10, 2009

Well, Belch is already naked, I guess. Either way I couldn’t imagine how much more disgusting he’d get if there was a way to get naked… wait a minute!

This topic isn’t even about that! It’s about the cartridge naked, not Ness! Though there’s not much to talk about that… except maybe it’ll be this month’s centerfold of CARTBOY…

Lucas said on Dec. 11, 2009

He Can not be naked, cause he is just a pile of… Puke?

mother_rockin said on Dec. 11, 2009

Why do people have to ruin the earthbound name by pirating it.

biehlza said on Dec. 23, 2009

Man, my actual cartridge has an overdoes on enemies, could it too be fake?
I hate how people try to sell crap for a ton, makes me jealous.

Ness said on Jun. 5, 2010

Lol. I thought it was something about Ness being naked in Magicant.

Omnomnominous said on Jul. 14, 2010

The “Oh, well.” almost sounds like disappointment. XD

Anonymous said on Jan. 14, 2011

so does this mean a counterfeit is lighter?

Oomali said on Aug. 14, 2011

Boykon said on Sep. 15, 2011

I believe I just bought a counterfeit off ebay. I get the anti-piracy message, and someone epoxied the screws into the cartridge so I can’t get it open to look at the board itself.

earthbound reproer said on Dec. 24, 2011

u people are way out of the loop

Corey said on Mar. 16, 2012

If you look at the forums on my topic about finally getting into my EB cart, I have pics of a cart that looks very close to legit but has what looks like a flash chip solidered into it. Game plays fine but still, there are ppl taking advantage of us EB fans