December 5th, 2009 | MOTHER 3

Over at Destructoid they’ve been posting a list of the top 50 games of the past decade, and MOTHER 3 got a mighty high spot at #3. Check it out here.

There are two things of interest about this: one, I think had this been a magazine or any other site, MOTHER 3 wouldn’t have even been considered, and two, unlike some of the other “best game” magazine lists that have showed up on EB Central, this list seems to be well thought-out. At least to me, anyway.

Thanks to the throngs of people who sent in news about this. Seriously, people sent in news about this more than anything else ever here πŸ˜›

What do you think? Is MOTHER 3 deserving of that high a rank?

31 Comments to MOTHER 3: Decade’s 3rd Best Game

Poe said on Dec. 5, 2009

I’ve only played half of the games on that top 10 list, but of those that I have played, I agree that their positions are well deserved. The reasons they give for each game are solid, so it’s obvious that this wasn’t something they threw together in a day. This is a top 50 list that I can respect.

Chasmang said on Dec. 5, 2009

The list is great because of the “only one game per franchise” rule:

-MGS3 instead of 4
-Windwaker instead of Twilight Princess
-San Andreas instead of GTA4
-FFIX instead of X
-Melee instead of Brawl
-MOTHER 3 instead of the many other games most publications would have ignored it for

They really put some thought into the list rather than submitting to hype. πŸ™‚

Yoshimad123 said on Dec. 5, 2009

Well done, MOTHER 3!
I think it deserved to get that spot.

canned o said on Dec. 5, 2009

“Mother 3 may be the last game of its kind to ever be released. It truly is something special.”
You know, this is true. It makes me feel a little sad, but happy as well. Like the feeling you have when crying with happiness – does that have a name?

It’s weird knowing these things are a part of history in their own small way. For decades and maybe hundreds of years, there’ll be new EarthBound and Mother 3 players.

Karma said on Dec. 5, 2009

It is absolutely deserved.

Not since I was a a young adolescent, has a video game ever… EVER come along with the heart, beauty, charm, and emotionality in my later adult years, the way Mother 3 had.

In an age where video games are becoming ever more soulless, ever more mainstream assembly line, and ever more generic and lifeless, Mother 3 was like a return to the days when a video game MEANT something, if but briefly.

Mother 3 belongs so high on this list for two reasons. Half of it is that the volume of games produced today are incredibly shallow, that Mother 3 can’t help but be looked at favorably by comparison. And the other half of it is that Mother 3 would have been considered a masterpiece in the mid 90’s, as well.

santiagoff said on Dec. 5, 2009

Yay my news got posted! Thanks! =D
In all seriousness, I think this game deserves that place. But it is debatable, there are tons of game out there. Just as I was really amazed when I saw SOTC as the 1st, I also thought “Many won’t agree with this… “.
It’s a great list nontheless.

KingDarian said on Dec. 5, 2009

It appears they mistakenly credited HAL Labs as the developer of the game.

Joshua Johnson said on Dec. 5, 2009

I enjoyed Mother 3 ALOT. Ive played it through so much I know it frount and back, but number 3 for the best games of the decade, thats kinda a stretch. Im not saying mother 3 shouldn’t be on that list, but their are alot of games in my opinion that should be ranked higher

Gurp said on Dec. 5, 2009

Very unique list, that’s for sure.

Sam said on Dec. 5, 2009

When I looked at the top 50 from the moment it started, I had the impression that IF the game showed up on their list it would be between 50-40. It’s not what I personally think of the game, but I had that disgusting suspicion that Halo might actually show up higher…

Thankfully, that isn’t the case. I’m so proud to be a fan of Earthbound/Mother now, knowing Mother 3 got #3 on the list! It TRULY has earned the right to be up there.

And well said comments, you guys! I couldn’t agree with you all more. Debatable, yet I still have that hunch this game just HAD to be in the number THREE spot. =D

Antiaverage said on Dec. 5, 2009

These Top X posts always make me realize that there are more games I haven’t bought which I clearly need go out and buy, and consequently play.

Another One said on Dec. 5, 2009

Yes. It is deserved.

You all should also take a look at ActionButton.net’s manifesto of good games (http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=385). Mother 3 comes at number four there, with the tagline saying, β€œFor better, worse, and everything in between, the closest games have yet come to literature.”

Deiphobus said on Dec. 5, 2009

cave story πŸ˜€

liarxagerate said on Dec. 5, 2009

1. It’s deserved

but

2. MOTHER 3 is only vastly superior to EarthBound if the major criteria for this list is “fits into a Game Boy Advance.”

Father said on Dec. 5, 2009

I love mother 3 alot but I feel this is just a opinion not anything to be taken too serious period just like most of these all time greatest games lists on different websites/magazine .

Mr. Accident said on Dec. 5, 2009

Come on! 14 comments and nobody’s made a “now I will show you the true power of being third” joke yet?!

πŸ˜€

Taco Man said on Dec. 5, 2009

Woot. I was somewhat credited. XD

I was happy about Mother 3 getting the #3 spot, but I was VERY happy at SoTC getting the #1 spot.

shibaru said on Dec. 5, 2009

3 is a magic number 8D
The mole guardians must be proud

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on Dec. 5, 2009

@Mr. Accident

Hahaha, third IS good!

SuperBlooper057 said on Dec. 5, 2009

I think this list is completely incorrect.
Mother 3 should be #1 πŸ™‚

Linkzcap said on Dec. 6, 2009

After all, third’s the worst, second’s the best, third’s the one with Flint.

Flint rhymes with every word, if you didn’t already know.

Dustwood said on Dec. 6, 2009

Mother 3 got 3rd haha irony!

IMB70 said on Dec. 6, 2009

Oh please. Mother 3 is a great game and all, but it’s not fantastic.

IMB70 said on Dec. 6, 2009

Plus Wind Waker made the list? And not the later, better ones? But yeah, every publication needs at least a few of these list cranked out once and awhile.

HGT said on Dec. 6, 2009

At the risk of repeating what many others have said, Mother 3 fully deserves that kind of recognition.

I’m not kidding when I say that experiencing the game led me to reevaluate my entire way of life.

I have you to thank for that, Mato πŸ˜‰

Some rope snake said on Dec. 6, 2009

Haha, I didn’t even expect Mother 3 to be on the list!

…But If it was a video game list, I’d have to put it around the three best, not many game achieved what Mother did, putting all kind of emotions packed into a single game, not to say, a gameboy game, into play!

…Hell, looking at the list, I have to say they actually took a handful of games that aren’t hyped up, hell, they even took Cave story in! It’s was even less expected than Mother 3!

β€œMother 3 may be the last game of its kind to ever be released. It truly is something special.”

Sad, but true =/

Artix said on Dec. 6, 2009

Funnily enough, 3rd place is probably where it would rank on my top 50.
[Under Persona 3 and Wind Waker]

JoeShmoe said on Dec. 7, 2009

Melee is on this list.
Brawl isn’t.

I officially love this list.

mrsaturnsintern said on Aug. 9, 2010

I would would rank it higher!

JeffAndonuts said on Nov. 14, 2010

Really good job Mother 3. Holy shit, it’s a GBA Game and it’s #3 !

Nobody5000 said on Oct. 23, 2011