December 10th, 2009 | Events, Images

A while ago I posted about an event put together by Japanese MOTHER fans called 321 MOTHER. You can read about the 2006 event here.

A couple weeks ago the 2009 event took place, and this time three regular visitors here attended, Kyosuke, Chewy, and Izumi. Chewy was kind enough to write up a report about the 2009 event, which you can read here.

She also took some pics of the swag she procured while there. I think her arms exploded trying to carry it all:

Judging by the results of the poll in the 2006 event write-up, it sounds like people would love to have something similar outside of Japan too. What kind of stuff would an non-Japan EarthBound convention have, though? Would it mostly be cosplay stuff/sharing fan-made stuff, or would there be more to it? It’d be neat if someone with a lot of money and free time put together a big EarthBound con.

39 Comments to 321 MOTHER Fan Event (2009)

Psi-Rockin said on Dec. 10, 2009

A Mother-Con….. It must be done!

pooppoop said on Dec. 10, 2009

…you might not want to call it “mother-con”

that might attract some weirdos

Ninji said on Dec. 10, 2009

Awww man, they should make a 3 2 1 MOTHER Fan Event for an American audience…. by the way, does this thing take place every 3 years because the last one happened in ’06

Psi-Rockin said on Dec. 10, 2009

@ pooppoop – Good point

floydhead42 said on Dec. 10, 2009

PK Con?

skyrunner14 said on Dec. 10, 2009

I read that article. Who would’ve known the Japanese fans would like the merchandise we made as much as they did?

LucasTizma said on Dec. 10, 2009

OH MY GOSH! Utter jealousy at ALL the awesome stuff you acquired! So cool. 😀 Sell it to me. XD

Chewy said on Dec. 10, 2009

Ninji: It’s a sporatic event, they hold it when they want to. (I still don’t know who “they” refers to, though.) First one was 2006, then 2008, and now 2009. There’s a chance they might not hold another one.

And I felt a little warm inside when you kindly thought of my arms, Tomato. More muscle-snapping than exploding, but that actually happened. 🙁

Antiaverage said on Dec. 10, 2009

I’m surprised you don’t have a poll asking if people would attend an event in North American like you did for the 2006 post. I would love to see kit there is still interest.

Leirin said on Dec. 10, 2009

Feeling… intensely… jealous…

Really wish I could’ve been there. It’d be INCREDIBLE if they opened an American EB con. Would definitely go.

Kyosuke said on Dec. 10, 2009

The person behind actually putting the event together is that lady Asakawa-san, Chewy. Natsu’s been telling me about her and how the event came about. I should show you the e-mail. Oh, I’ve also still been e-mailing with Asakawa-san herself.

So yeah, Chewy bought so much stuff, I had to hold some of it for her! She was lucky that I didn’t buy hardly anything so I could help her with her stuff. Worked out well.

Tobias said on Dec. 10, 2009

“someone with a lot of money and free time”

oh sup giovanni

Ginrei said on Dec. 10, 2009

That tea mug is the most adorable thing in the history of EVER. How do they make so much awesome stuff??

Jeagle101 said on Dec. 10, 2009

Man, we need to have some sort of convention here in the States. It stinks we have to see all this stuff happen in Japan :/

Ninji said on Dec. 10, 2009

I’m with you Jeagle101, there SHOULD be a covention like that in the US, and hopefully in NY….

santiagoff said on Dec. 10, 2009

I feel overwhelming jealousy X_X

Ninji said on Dec. 10, 2009

Hey guys, envy and jealousy is what destroys a man/woman <_<

Fiera/Tamuro said on Dec. 10, 2009

If anything like that’s gonna happen, you definitely won’t wanna leave Fangamer out of the merchandise stands. (Unless they only do orders…?)
And how long would it go for, I might ask?

WhatsHerFace said on Dec. 10, 2009

Wow! It’s really amazing to see how positively Japanese fans reacted to the American fanmerch and community. It’s always mindblowing to see how something most people deem insignificant, like a videogame, can bring people from different parts of the world together, isn’ it?

A Mother Convention in the US sounds like a neat idea, but since it’s not as widely known in this country, I’m not sure how well it would pan out here. Sorry if I’m a wet blanket.

ZombiePaul said on Dec. 11, 2009

If I ever win the lottery it’s gonna be on people 🙂

Xi said on Dec. 11, 2009

My main question isn’t so much worrying about how many Americans would come (which, don’t get me wrong, is a huge, huge factor), but rather how you could fit enough relevant programming into the schedule to make an American “Mother series only” event worth holding.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that Japanese fandom conventions are a lot more dealer-based. While American fandom conventions always have a Dealer’s room, they also seem to have a variety of programming. (Noone wants to drive more than 8 hours just to go shop.)

James said on Dec. 11, 2009

The organizer would have to set the proper funds aside to fly Itoi to the con as the guest of honor.

Chewy said on Dec. 11, 2009

That’s true, the Japanese convention was basically just people selling blatant copyright infringements at tables. Never been to another convention, but maybe they’re all like that, without as much active events as American conventions. So you’d have to figure out what you’re going to do all day. But I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of us manage to put something together in the (far?) future.

Also yes Kyo was my penny-pinching hero. I thank him for not chastising me.

PK Mt. Fuji said on Dec. 11, 2009

Yeah if a mother convention came here we’d need some active events, probably involving pizza and trash cans.

resetsurvivor said on Dec. 11, 2009

@WhatsHerFace.. Good point but even ComicCon started out with only a handful of people. Now look at it! Also It’d be great if some of the EB community musicians played some fun MOTHER series music @ a convention like this.

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink | Trackback | View Trackbacks No trackbacks recorded […]

santiagoff said on Dec. 11, 2009

@Xi;Chewy: I have never ever been to a convention which didn’t consist of people selling their own merchandise at booths. I mean, most conventions here are a huge anime/games/merchandise marketplace. Sure, there might be some karaoke or cosplay contest, but nothing more than that :/

sg_06 said on Dec. 11, 2009

Does Itoi know about these events?

TypeZer0h said on Dec. 12, 2009

321 MOTHER>Starmen.net

???

PSInesslove93 said on Dec. 12, 2009

if only i could’ve gone… 🙁 we need to have these kind of events outside of japan. i totally concur

Dadalama said on Dec. 19, 2009

I want that coffee cup!

ghostgirl21696 said on Jan. 10, 2010

If they had one in north america, I’d totally make sure to be there!

Onion said on Dec. 16, 2010

I mulled over bumping this for a long time but I just had to ask. Does anyone know if there was an M321 event in 2010?

Mato said on Dec. 16, 2010

I don’t think so, the page says the last one was in 2009 still.

Onion said on Dec. 16, 2010

*sadface*

oh well

PSI rockin' said on Jan. 18, 2011

I MUST GO IF IT EVAH HAPPENS AGAIN IN THE UNIVERSE!

Tart said on Nov. 15, 2011

I agree. Call it PKCon. And please make it this year – I believe the world will end in 2012. Not by superstition, I just have an awful feeling in my gut. Please someone make a PKCon this year… 🙁

GiegueFanboy said on Apr. 24, 2012

If this ever happens again I’m going in full Giegue costume complete with Starmen bodyguards.

Paula Polestar said on May. 24, 2012

PK CONVENTION!!!!

Excitement went up by 1,000,000!