November 29th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Some interesting stuff showed up on EB Central this past week, like an EarthBound Zero prototype auction, some magazine articles, and some interesting trivia. So here’s some other EarthBound stuff that’s happened elsewhere on the Internet this past week.

Community News

I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

The big news this week was of course the EarthBound Zero prototype that hit eBay recently, but there’ve been plenty of other cool EarthBound things as well this past week.

Remember, you can also see all the EarthBound / MOTHER stuff on eBay all gathered in one handy place here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

And stuff on Amazon:

What’s Up With Itoi

• This past week Itoi saw 2012. He said the theater was packed. He didn’t go into whether he liked the movie or not, but he did say that the progress of computer graphics is really surprising now, and that future movies about disasters on a world scale will probably always be compared to this one in terms of the way it’s shown.

Final Thought

Back by somewhat popular demand, figure out what’s wrong with this screenshot!

Today is Sunday – go play EarthBound!

35 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #46

UltimaLink said on Nov. 29, 2009

How is the Mother 3 Mr. Saturn plushie 75$? Doesn’t the machine you get these out of only need a few hundred yen?

Ice Sage said on Nov. 29, 2009

Well, hi Mr. T!

There isn’t supposed to be a Mr. T there.

And it looks like you removed the cracks/spots in the lower-right sidewalk, along with a tree and a lighter patch of grass around it to the left of the sidewalk.

That’s all I found.

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2009

UltimaLink: They’re limited in quantity and it costs a few hundred yen to get one if you’re lucky enough to get one on your first try. It takes many tries on average. $75 is a pretty good deal to be honest, I’ve seen people selling them for $100-$200.

Faux said on Nov. 29, 2009

Today is Sunday – Observe the day of the Lord!

Mister Crosser said on Nov. 29, 2009

@ ultimalink

You’re better off getting them off of Yahoo auctions japan, even if you have to pay a $20 importing fee through celga. I bought 2 for a total of 5500 yen!

Xi said on Nov. 29, 2009

But then you’re asking for the headache that comes with working with the people at celga.

Mister Crosser said on Nov. 29, 2009

@ Xi

Yeah, my dad paid the 5500 yen when we were asking for the bid on the 2x Mr saturn plushes, and then they thought we didn’t pay. They charged us the amount for the auction + the $20 shipping and importing fee, but my dad told them we already paid them for the auction, and they agreed with us.

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2009

The plushies have really dropped in number on Yahoo Auctions Japan in the past few weeks, so it looks like it won’t be as easy to get them there anymore either. Which means they’ll probably only get more expensive as time goes on. Celga’s made some goof-ups with my orders in the past too, so I’d say $75 is a very decent price compared to all other stuff on eBay + the lack of hassle.

Plus, even if you bought one on YAJ now (only two show up now), if you add in the import fees and whatnot it’ll still be around $75 anyway. Getting two for that price was a really lucky find for you though, Mister Crosser!

HAK2 said on Nov. 29, 2009

wait, was the comma left out from the game? or did you add that?

chimera said on Nov. 29, 2009

as for the perverted pillow cases: WTF

Xi said on Nov. 29, 2009

@Mister Crosser

I had the same issue, and browsing around sites it seems other people have struggled with the same issue as well. It is not run how most people would expect an e-business to be run this day and age. You send them a link, and then they send you any number of paypal invoices that aren’t attatched to any tangible information in the website.

I bought a single item from them, and I was sent an invoice, of which I paid immediately. Upon them receiving it in the warehouse, I was sent another invoice, of which I also paid immediately. I didn’t receive it for some time, and when I e-mailed them to ask about it, they did not respond. I e-mailed someone else in Celga to ask about it, and they told me (1) that the person I originally sent an inquiry to never received an e-mail from me, and (2) I had an invoice I hadn’t paid, and would I like for them to send me the invoice? I replied of course, and they send me a third and FOURTH invoice for around $13 and $2, respectively. which I had never received previously. The process was very confusing and at no step in the process did I feel like I was making a comfortable, secured transaction.

I have read other Celga horror stories on various Japanese import forums, and several people provided examples of how they were treated in a childish and unprofessional manner when they had to argue with the billing department over an auction they had paid for, but the billing department argued that they didn’t pay.

Based on all I have read and experienced personally, I won’t be using them in the future. I have heard nothing but good things (so far) about ShoppingMallJapan though, so I’ll be using them in the future.

Mister Crosser said on Nov. 29, 2009

@ Xi

I’ll try out Import monster next

Mister Crosser said on Nov. 29, 2009

Also, I predict that the plushes will show up next week on monday. But I just have 1 question..

Anyone here, of whom has used celga before, have you had a problem where you paid, but the item never made it to your mailbox?

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2009

Well, one time I ordered from them and provided a new address (I had moved a year beforehand) and let them know that my address should be updated in their system. They wound up shipping it to the old one anyway. I doubt that scenario might apply to you though.

Mister Crosser said on Nov. 29, 2009

I ordered my plushes a few weeks back, but I understand the process.. When the plushes get here, I will open one of the bandanas and put it onto one of them, and place the two of them next to my copy of MOTHER 3

Ninji said on Nov. 29, 2009

I played EB on Sunday, got to Fourside!! Anyways, could anybody tell me how to even USE Celga, I know it sounds stupid, but I can’t even navigate through Yahoo! Auctions Japan without getting confused about the Japanese text…

Ninji said on Nov. 29, 2009

By the way, wasn’t 2012 an American movie? Did they translate it in Japanese? Or did Itoi see this in America?

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2009

He saw it in Japanese in Japan.

ThePalagoon said on Nov. 29, 2009

That $74 EB cart on Amazon is mine and I encourage some EB Central reader to take it off my hands. It’s my original copy from 1995 that has been collecting dust in my attic for several years now.

It worked the last time I checked (my SNES broked, thus why I’m selling a bunch of my games) but once it’s sold I will clean it out again.

It’s well-used, but it works. πŸ™‚

Ninji said on Nov. 29, 2009

Check out 83 screenshots of EarthBound 64, even though this isn’t relevant to anything it’s pretty cool:http://media.ign64.ign.com/media/001/001968/imgs_1.html

Callin said on Nov. 29, 2009

the bottom-right sidewalk is way too spotless

Xi said on Nov. 29, 2009

@Mato

The exact same thing happened to me. I e-mailed them twice and told them that my PO Box on their system had changed from what I had originally registered it as. They assured me it was fine. It wasn’t. :p

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2009

So far nobody’s found all the wrong things in that screenshot πŸ˜›

Zai said on Nov. 29, 2009

The text is supposed to say Mr. Geldegarde Monotoli. You took out the “Mr.”

Sasquatch said on Nov. 29, 2009

The menu says “Talk to” not “Talk”. I think that’s it.

pidgezero_one said on Nov. 29, 2009

@Xi, Shopping Mall Japan is pretty fantastic. Services charges can get pricy, but I’ve received all of my orders from them in a timely manner and their staff is very helpful.

Also the automated bidding feature is pretty nice.

pidgezero_one said on Nov. 29, 2009

Also, Ninji, if you need help ordering from Yahoo Japan, I recommend this page: http://www.videogamemm.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=50&start=0&sid=9d9940629c673baae1579bcbad30ad65

Ninji said on Nov. 29, 2009

Hmmm…. In that screenshot, I think that person in the background wasn’t there in the game, I know this because I went to Fourside just recently today… Just a theory.

pidgezero_one said on Nov. 29, 2009

Whoops, sorry, meant this page: http://www.videogamemm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4786 πŸ™‚

Ice Sage said on Nov. 29, 2009

@Ninji

Yes, I already mentioned the Mr. T guy. πŸ˜›

Sublymonal said on Nov. 30, 2009

Shouldn’t there only be two lines of text? Or am I just delusional?

UltimaLink said on Nov. 30, 2009

Jeff is walking, don’t they all stand when they talk?

Ninji said on Nov. 30, 2009

@ Ice Sage: Yeah, sorry, I didn’t read your comment before that’s why, also, I miss that old “Where’s Ness” thing it was awesome, fun, and cool, I would totally make one, If I could find out HOW to make them…

someone70 said on Dec. 1, 2009

Is it a grammical error? It’s should be It has. Or am I just being picky? πŸ˜›

Mister Crosser said on Dec. 9, 2009

@ Xi and mato

It hasn’t arrived for a few weeks, and I know why

WE STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SHIPPING FEE!!! D:

I don’t get it. Why didn’t they just put the shipping fee into the import fee?