Cookie Giygas is in Trouble Now!
Everyone knows Dr. Andonuts likes donuts/doughnuts, but not many people know where Dr. Andonuts actually gets his name.
The Japanese are fond of azuki red bean paste, generally called an or anko in Japanese. They use it a lot in sweets, often as filling for pastries. If you’ve ever heard of the famous Anpanman animated character, his head is filled with an. This an is also used in donuts, which are called “an-donuts”.
these are an-donuts
There aren’t any English Wikipedia pages for it, but you can see the Japanese page here. They’re popular and you can find them just about everywhere in Japan, even grocery stores and convenience stores. Try them if you get a chance, I find they’re really nice when fresh or slighty chilled, like if left in a fridge for a short while.
Other Related Posts:
29 Comments to The Origin of Dr. Andonuts’ Name
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...
- Castaway: I bought this right away! Can’t wait for mine to come in. I do have a concern, though. It says my order went through yet I...