November 21st, 2009 | Interviews, Itoi, MOTHER 4

While scouring Japanese Google for stuff, I came across a recent interview on Shigesato Itoi’s site that included some MOTHER-related discussion. This is dated July 22, 2009. This was actually Itoi interviewing someone else, which is one of the main things he does at his site. Anyway, I’ve quickly translated the relevant page here:

Shigesato Itoi Talks with a Young Writer
Part 2: I Think the Most Fun is Coming Up with the Ideas

Itoi: What sort of person did you chiefly know me as?

Shiraiwa: I didn’t so much “know you” then, but the very first works of yours that I encountered were MOTHER and MOTHER 2.

Itoi: Oh, I see.

Shiraiwa: At the time, I didn’t know they were your creations; I encountered them purely as merchandise. I learned your name after that and started reading your site when I began studying advertising, but MOTHER was my very first encounter.

Itoi: Ah, is that so?

Shiraiwa: Yes. Sorry that that’s how it was.

Itoi: No, no, don’t be sorry! Actually, I considered MOTHER as a place where it was okay to tell lies, or more like a special place where it was okay to write my thoughts in raw form.

Shiraiwa: Your thoughts in raw form?

Itoi: Basically, copy writing is my main profession, and because of the nature of that work you can’t simply write down exactly what you’re thinking.

Shiraiwa: Yes, that’s true. You’re doing the work for other businesses.

Itoi: Yes. I don’t go and write things I’ve never thought about, of course, but with this kind of work you’re forced to find “just the right thing” before you write. Writing only the plain truth won’t be effective, and if you try to think too hard you wind up not being able to write anything at all.

Shiraiwa: Ah, I see.

Itoi: That’s when I encountered role-playing games. Being able to toss my unfiltered thoughts into them made me very happy. But being able to express my thoughts in a pure manner wasn’t the only reason they made me happy. For example, quite a long time ago I was seduced into writing a novel.1

Shiraiwa: Seduced? (laugh)

Itoi: I was told, “You can do it!” (laugh) It was a lot like being told, “Okay, now fly!”

Shiraiwa: Just, “Do it!”

Itoi: Yeah. So I did write one, but I didn’t enjoy writing it one bit.

Shiraiwa: Oh, really? Why is that?

Itoi: I think the most fun is coming up with the ideas. You know, “Let’s do this!” or “Let’s do that!”

Shiraiwa: Yes, that’s true.

Itoi: But then when it comes to writing it down, it becomes a huge pain.

Shiraiwa: It becomes work?

Itoi: Yes. Plus advertising text is much shorter than a novel. And since advertising text is created in a team setting, you can play around with it while other people offer helpful ideas of their own.

Shiraiwa: That’s true.

Itoi: I guess I’ve never really liked doing all the work for something all by myself.

Shiraiwa: Ah, I see.

Itoi: …Is it really okay for us to be talking about me, though?

Shiraiwa: Of course! (laugh)

Itoi: Well, anyway, when putting really plain phrases like “I love you.” as temporary lines into MOTHER or just any RPG, I felt that I really could just throw them in there like that and they would work.

Shiraiwa: Because it comes across in a different way?

Itoi: Yes, yes. Writing, “I love you.” in a novel is really tough.

Shiraiwa: Yes, I can see how it would be hard.

Itoi: It isn’t easy. You beat around the bush for a while, trying to build up to it, but eventually you’re either able to say that generic phrase or not say it.

Shiraiwa: Yes, yes.

Itoi: Even if you are able to say it, there’s still a part inside you that asks why you bothered to write something so generic. It’s a real annoyance. (laughs)

Shiraiwa: Yes, it is. (laughs)

Itoi: But with a game, you can just place a single word or phrase in there and have it sound nice. After all, the main characters in most Dragon QUest-style games don’t say anything.

Shiraiwa: Oh, that’s right. And that’s why the words can have a direct-ness to them?

Itoi: Yes.

Shiraiwa: Plus, when you’re actually playing a game, the words come across very straightforwardly.

Itoi: I was happy to find out that was possible. But games demand many more lines of dialogue despite the fact that the main characters don’t talk, so I couldn’t keep making them. That’s why I felt deep down after making three of them, “Well, that was a neat experience.”

Shiraiwa: So you’re done with them?

Itoi: Yes, that’s right.

[1] A common misconception is that Shigesato Itoi is a novelist. He’s primarily a copy writer and the manager of his online variety newspaper/magazine.

It doesn’t come across well in translation, but the “Well, that was a neat experience” also has the underlying nuance of, “Time to move on.”

Anyway, it’s common knowledge by now that Itoi has said several times that he won’t make a MOTHER 4, but this is the first time since 2006 that he’s said so. So if you’ve been hoping that he might change his mind after a few years about MOTHER 4, it’s looking less likely.

77 Comments to Still No Future MOTHER Games

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Nov. 21, 2009

And nobody was surprised.

Saiai said on Nov. 21, 2009

;_;

Hejiru said on Nov. 21, 2009

πŸ™

Poe said on Nov. 21, 2009

It’s weird to know that these three games have such a huge following, yet he barely seems to think about them at all.

Jeagle101 said on Nov. 21, 2009

I’m still disappointed by his decision to not make another game, but I can see what he means…

anton said on Nov. 21, 2009

I guess if he doesn’t want to keep up with “that many more lines of dialogue,” despite the end result… it’s his call. Can’t wait until the fangame is released! =)

CMB said on Nov. 21, 2009

I kinda knew that he wouldn’t make many or any later than Mother 3. From all the posts here about his lifestyle and his experiences, I think of him as a free man; a guy who just wants to do something just for the fun of it and say “Well that was fun.”

And here he said it, and there I stand, no more Offical Mother games. I’m not sad in the slightest, because I know that we all have the 3 AND a fan game that I’m excited for. At least now we don’t have to fight Nintendo anymore about releasing future games too.

Vague Rant said on Nov. 21, 2009

I’d kind of been offhandedly hoping that he’d try his hand at another game outside of the Mother series; he’s consistently said no more Mother from him, but this is the first time I’ve seen a statement to the effect of “no more games”. It’s kind of a disappointment that the kind of workaround I had in my head isn’t a possibility either.

anton said on Nov. 21, 2009

Yeah seriously. Fighting nintendo… I was never actually for that. All we need these days are some good rom hackers, and several true fans will buy from overseas to show their support.

Chimera said on Nov. 21, 2009

It was pretty obvious that it would never happen, but people can still hope right?… Right?

Vague Rant said on Nov. 21, 2009

anton, speaking of ROM hackers, maybe Itoi’s clear statements of no further games will serve as encouragement for translators to look at his past titles (e.g. the Bass Fishing series), as all that’s left unconsumed by western players.

slovaksiren said on Nov. 21, 2009

I’m fine with just a trilogy, I mean, it’s better to have three good quality games that have a lot of time, effort, and heart put into them than, say, ten that are good, but not consistently good, that seems to be a problem many times with game franchises that go on and on, the quality is not completely consistent where as, all the Mother games are all very good, MOTHER might have aged a little, but it was great for it’s time nonetheless and is still good for an RPG.

Besides, didn’t Itoi want to take a break so he could be the player for once and have somebody else do it? Although the upcoming fangame Mother 4 is not canon like the trilogy, with Mother fans being the most dedicated fans on the internet, it is only natural that we take liberty to create our own if there is not going to be another sequel, it seems that, that is sort of a Mother fan’s specifically American Mother fan’s philosophy “If they aren’t going to make it happen, we will” because of this, the Mother fandom will remain strong for years to come.

Mr. Nosy said on Nov. 21, 2009

I am JUST like Mr. Itoi; I like getting ideas better than actually putting them down.

LightningLuigi said on Nov. 21, 2009

I’m the same way. I come up with all these ideas, but when I try to put them into action, I just can’t bring myself to do it. I need to bring of team of people togeather that will carry out all the ideas I’m too lazy to do myself.

NekoKnight said on Nov. 21, 2009

To be honest, I’d like to see a remake of the first Mother game on the Wii. I’ve always wanted to play around in the world of Mother with 3D graphics. And since the first game is a tad bit on the “blah” side (no offense), I think it would be the best choice for a remake.

userofdoom said on Nov. 21, 2009

Gosh darn.

Father said on Nov. 21, 2009

I would love to see a mother 4 but I kinda understand that making a great game for the 4th time is alot of time and work to do and I understand why Itoi says that there wont be a future mother 4.Also thanks Mato for this translation.

MalixDexide said on Nov. 21, 2009

To NekoKnight –

Actually, that isn’t such a bad idea. πŸ˜€

It does take alot of time to think up a game, think up how it will work, and forming it into the game you want it to be. A Mother 4 would be nice though…

Ninji said on Nov. 21, 2009

I Hope Chaisu Team translates the game into a japanese version also, then us fans would totally show Chaisu Team’s work to Itoi, also just wondering, is it possible to make a Mac Version PLZ πŸ™

Ninji said on Nov. 21, 2009

Oh yeah, by the way, are there any types of MOTHER contests where you can win stuff, I NEEEEEDDD MO’ MOTHER STUFF *goes insane* 0_o If there aren’t any contests like that, is anyone willing to give up some old Mother merchandise? You can give me ANYTHING except for a complete copy of EarthBound cause I already got a complete copy all help is appreciated πŸ™‚

Komaru said on Nov. 21, 2009

At Ninji:
If Chaisu were to dump the source code, I would port that thing to Mac like a machine. For now, I’d recommend Boot Camp, Mono, or Darwine, those seem to work pretty well for me.

Axl-fox said on Nov. 21, 2009

well I understand him, the Mother trilogy is good enugh already, and making a canon sequel considering how Mother 3 ended just wont work, the only closest we can get to an official Mother 4 is Chaisu’s fangame

the only thing I would like to see would be a port/remake of any of the games in the Wii (they wouldn’t change anything in the story, just update the graphics)

PKNuMan said on Nov. 21, 2009

Wow! I was totally not expecting that!
/sarcasm

Ninji said on Nov. 21, 2009

Thanks for info Komaru!! πŸ˜€

PK Mt. Fuji said on Nov. 21, 2009

I’m working on intructions for a future game and it’s really difficult to just start and write unless I have a good idea I just HAVE TO write down.

anton said on Nov. 21, 2009

To NekoKnight –

That would be awesome, only it would be a lot more probable that it’d be totally fan-made. Considering how many people out there have actually even heard of the original mother. If it were official it’d have to be a damn good heavily advertised remake.

santiagoff said on Nov. 21, 2009

I’ve always felt Itoi was rather tired of making games. I mean, he wrote 3 games all by himself, it’s rather normal/not surprising to just stop wanting to make games. It’s his life, he can do whatever with it. We should be happy we got 3 awesomely-written games instead of demanding a fourth one.
Still… mother 4 would be nice ;_;

Fubuki said on Nov. 22, 2009

I, honestly, can completely understand where he’s coming from, about everything, really. So, even though I’m a little sad there won’t be more Mother, I get exactly what he means. Regardless, this was a good read – it’s always interesting to hear how other creative minds work, especially people like Itoi, who are pretty much geniuses in their field.

Gonna agree with Itoi, also, that getting ideas is the best part, but writing them down is hardly something I can just “do”. πŸ˜‰

Kris said on Nov. 22, 2009

I never liked how Itoi always seems to treat MOTHER as just a “project.” He really doesn’t seem to pay any mind to something that’s developed such a huge following.

I mean, MOTHER is really a drop in the bucket when we think about all of the different media Itoi has tackled, but you would think he’d at least acknowledge its success a bit more.

Not knocking the guy, or anything, and I totally understand his desire to move on. And we have to remember that, unlike Miyamoto, Iwata, or Kojima, Itoi is not a video-game developer by profession.

Linkzcap said on Nov. 22, 2009

Surely 3 years from now he’ll change his mind, right guys?

ZombiePaul said on Nov. 22, 2009

Itoi reminds me of Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) in that he seems to enjoy being creative for it’s own sake, not to impress others. That’s such a cool and rare trait in successful people.

curiouspasserby said on Nov. 22, 2009

This dooesn’t surrise me, but I guess it still kind of makes me wish Itoi still wanted to do another Mother game. I guess this is the nail in the coffin.

METC said on Nov. 22, 2009

If he doesn’t want much dialogue, why not just make MOTHER 4: The Painfully Substanceless Shooter!

Dinosaur Trees said on Nov. 22, 2009

I’m learning Japanese to read all the essays and other stuff Itoi’s written. His thoughts are always encouraging and inspiring.

Ninji said on Nov. 22, 2009

Can somebody PLEASE tell me if there are any MOTHER contests where you can win MOTHER 1/2/3 merchandise?? Or is anybody willing to give up some of their EarthBound/MOTHER stuff??? I am excepting anything except for a boxed copy of EarthBound cause I already have it, all help is appreciated!!! πŸ˜€

Poe said on Nov. 22, 2009

Ninji – Starmen.net holds contests for prizes, but it’s rare that they give away actual MOTHER merch (most of the time, the big prizes are figures made by meeellla). And it’s probably extremely unlikely that anyone browsing this site would be willing to just “give” their stuff away, so buy stuff yourself on ebay: http://earthboundcentral.com/earthbound-mother-auctions/

Leirin said on Nov. 22, 2009

Eh, I’m not actually upset by his decision not to make another MOTHER game. To be honest, no series could have a greater finale than MOTHER3. He couldn’t have made a better ending for the games. If he ever does make a fourth one, I’m fine with that too, but for now, I’m perfectly content with the series being a trilogy.

IronROB said on Nov. 22, 2009

Well, the MOTHER series has always been good as a trilogy anyway and it will always remain my number 1 favorite RPG series but I moved on a long time ago.

About Itoi, Its been a while since I read anything from him.
What does he do these days besides his copy writer job and his online variety newspaper/magazine?
Does he still work on Nintendo? Or on video games in general?

King of Butter said on Nov. 22, 2009

I do hope that Itoi can at least consider creating another non-Earthbound video game in the near future.
Just so I can see how it would do in today’s world of VG.

Kris:I’am pretty sure that he knows of the huge success,fanbase,merchandise and whatnot of Earthbound, he just doesn’t almost talk about it so much.
Didn’t he discover this site and was very pleased with it or something like that a little while ago?

Clone-a-Kirby said on Nov. 22, 2009

Wait…does ito mean that he won’t work on any video games at all or what?
Was he some kind of freelance worker(or however you call it) on Ninty?Does he still keep in touch with the people at Ninty? Miyamoto,Iwata and everyone else he was close to?

tapioca said on Nov. 22, 2009

i like reading interviews with itoi almost as much as i liked his games… does that make me a stalker?

Mato said on Nov. 22, 2009

Clone-a-kirby: He’s very good friends with Miyamoto and Iwata. As for your other question, yes, he was basically like an outside contractor/freelancer. There are more details here.

Caleb, Of Asui said on Nov. 22, 2009

It’s too bad he won’t make an official MOTHER 4. In the old interview from 2006, I think he said something about the idea of somebody else making one. I wonder if it would be a good idea for the guys making the MOTHER 4 Fan Game to show it to Itoi and Nintendo, and perhaps it could become official. From what I’ve seen, it does look very good. It would be interesting if they were to pick up a standard for each game to be made by fans for MOTHER 5, MOTHER 6, etc.

[…] Full interview here (thanks Robert!) addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink | Trackback | View Trackbacks No trackbacks recorded […]

Ninji said on Nov. 22, 2009

Thanks for info Poe,and I guess you do have a point, nobody would give up their EarthBound stuff for free… at least on this site, about Starmen.net, it’s an AWESOME site but I seriously need a map just to find one forum/topic LOL πŸ˜€

Dadalama said on Nov. 23, 2009

I don’t mind that there is no more earthbound/mother games. I just kinda like reading about Itoi these days.

Assorted Astrology-Related Names said on Nov. 23, 2009

Ah, that’s a pity. Personally, I’m not really excited for the MOTHER 4 fangame, or any others- it’ll just feel like a fangame overall and not a MOTHER game. Here’s still hoping he’ll change his mind.

Also, it’s actually kinda awesome to see he has the same mindset as me. Writing games, not novels… It’s interesting.

resetsurvivor said on Nov. 23, 2009

It’s kind of nice. I like when something good ends. I hate when things drag on forever and lose their value. At least we have three wonderful games chock full of replay value! Yeah! Thanks Itoi.. and thanks Mato for translating.

Little Lord scrath and sniff said on Nov. 23, 2009

A pity indeed but I guees its for the best. Still lets me down a little bit,the whole “no VC Eathbound” thing made me enough sad as it is(and I think its a little odd that NOJ haven’t so far released Mother 1 and Earthbound on the JP VC,not everyone has a GBA).

"Suit up" boy said on Nov. 23, 2009

Well there we have it. No surprise here.
Expect the Smash Bros. series to be the only Nintendo games where we will officialy be able to play as MOTHER characters in the future now(unless Nintendo creates another crossover game outside of fighting).

Roido said on Nov. 23, 2009

what itoi needs is inspiration
i mean for example he was inspired by many things for Making Mother(A.K.A. Earthbound zero) so for a mother 4 he will need another inspiration, this i what normally happens with all the game makers, or how else they are called, i remember hearing “No more metroid series” and then we have metroid prime,1,2 and 3 , also another M is coming, so itoi needs to relax a very loooooooong time, an inspiration may come and then another game. us the fans can help, just look at Chaisu, he i working hard with the Fan game, if someone can show itoi the work at least he will get surprised and maybe another game will come.

PKSTARMAN said on Nov. 23, 2009

Damn… No MOTHER 4? I think its ok to haave a fan game after all.

Dumbo said on Nov. 24, 2009

I don’t get why so many people want a 4th one after the brilliant finale that was Mother 3. I mean, that game just tied everything up so exellently, why would you want to unwrap it? It would do an Indiana Jones: have three critically acclaimed adventures, and tack a stupid fourth one on just to ruin the name.

Roido said on Nov. 24, 2009

DUMBo- because Mother 3 left much misteries just like
the people survived?, how is the new world? Giygas will attack again in 1000 years?

7koopalingsfan said on Nov. 26, 2009

I’d actually at least like to read Earthbound 64 script and see how much darker it was supposed to be compared to Mother 3.

Still though, didn’t Itoi say in some interview that he would be fine with someone else making a MOTHER 4?
If thats the case then I vote Miyamoto do it.

Leirin said on Nov. 27, 2009

^^I side with that.

Joshua Johnson said on Dec. 5, 2009

wow, that a let down..

I was thinking that MAYBE one day Itoi would think that he would show some devotion

but wow. This pretty much just seals the deal that the mother series is dead. Our only hope is for fan games to come out, and maybe show Itoi that there is an audience for his product….

neonix said on Dec. 13, 2009

The fact that we got MOTHER 3 is astonishing enough. How much hell and anticipation did we all as a fanbase and community go through until we finally got to play the sequel to our favorite game? It was all worth it.

It’s nice to know that that’s that and we no longer have to hope, pray, and flood Nintendo’s mailboxes.

The only thing I could hope for now would be a MOTHER 1+2+3 down the road, with a remake of MOTHER and possibly a graphically touched up MOTHER 2. Itoi wouldn’t have to do any writing, and really wouldn’t have to do anything but legally allow it to be released. As long as the dialogue and stories stay exactly the same, I’d be happy.

Although if a MOTHER 1+2+3 did come out, we’d probably never see Nintendo release it outside Japan…

blah1017 said on Dec. 30, 2009

A sad confirmation but I feel like anyone who was hoping for a Mother 4 was just dreaming anyway. In my honest opinion Mother 3 ended the series very well, much better then I ever imagined it would have ended.

And just getting Mother 3 at all is simply great. Waiting 10+ years for that game was excruciating but so very worth it.

Super Smash Bros. Fan said on Jan. 31, 2010

I wouldn’t say to completly rule out an fourth Mother game, especially since the franchise is owned by Nintendo and I believe they can do what they want with it, but I really don’t care if we don’t get another Mother game.

All I want is Earthbound on the Virtual Console and I’ll be content.

Joshua Johnson said on Feb. 8, 2010

Dont get me wrong, Mother 3 was fantastic. Well worth all of the delays.

But I dont see way Itoi dosn’t understand that there is a huge audience for his game.

Poe said on Feb. 8, 2010

I’m sure he understands, but he’s not interested in making another. If he was forced to make one, it probably wouldn’t be as good as the others because his heart is no longer in it.

Sol said on Feb. 23, 2010

Perfect decision of his.
There really aren’t enough reasons or holes to be filled by a Mother 4.
I mean, just replay Mother 1 and 2 and you’ll see. Each game ended with an open link to the next, specially related to the main enemies.
Mother 1 ended with a hint the story would continue on a next game, Mother 2 ended the same way, but Mother 3 didn’t have that. (****SPOILER ALERT: Just look how Gyigue escapes on M1 swearing revenge, then returns as promised on M2, then Porky/Pokey arises during M2, escapes, and returns as the last main villain. SPOILER FINISHED****) Yeah, we don’t know how the new world is and.. whatever. But it’s clear there is no serious threat, the new world is at peace, even the final texts make it clear. Also since the world restarted there probably wouldn’t be any PSI users anyway. The Mother Player’s role is over.

I surely didn’t want the Mother series to end like Final Fantasy or other RPGs that keep going on and screwing themselves over, distancing from what they were supposed to be like, with each sequel.

Joshua Johnson said on Feb. 24, 2010

I understand itoi.

Like Sol said, their arn’t any loose ends in mother three that could make up a mother 4. Unless Mother 4 started as sort of a new series. idk

we shouldn’t focus on getting a new game. Starmen.net went through hell getting all of those signatures on a petition so they could send it to nintendo of japan, just so we can get a 3rd mother.

We should focuse on EB comeing to virtual console.

Mega said on Mar. 2, 2010

there is a very tiny hole through the mother series
did giygas wil get revenge in another 1000 years
like the hyerogliph told
“Every 1000 years the invaders will attack again”

PKLucas0 said on Mar. 12, 2010

so sad that mother 4 or something similar to that still doesnt come out.if i were to make a game it would have laa 3 games and 2 little game just like legend of zelda

PKLucas0 said on Mar. 12, 2010

oops i put laa insteed of all

Gabo said on Mar. 30, 2010

well, chiasu IS making MOTHER 4, and I’m making MOTHER 5, but to me MOTHER 5 is the REAL LAST game in the series. That’s all

Ness and Sonic said on Apr. 1, 2010

When I notice a coincidence between my life and the Mother titles, I thought of this possibility: no official Mother 4. Here what it is:

When Mother was released in Japan, my Mother had only one child at the time.

When Mother 2 was released, my Mother had two children to raise.

By the time Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 were release for Game Boy Advance, my Mother left behind three children.

There are more coincidences related to my life and Mother 3, but I don’t think anyone wants to hear them here.

Mr. Anon said on Jun. 7, 2010

Well, we don’t know if some other guy will create an official Mother game. I wonder if Itoi knows about this place and Starmen.net?

GoldenEevee said on Jun. 29, 2010

Personally, I’m looking more foward to a Mother 1/2 remake than a Mother 4……

awesomeNess said on Jul. 15, 2010

I’m dissapointed, to say the least. I’d would’ve hoped for a last-finishing sequel but it was Itoi’s choice. Guess they might drop it or continue with someone new. At least, that’s what I HOPE will happen…

πŸ™

Wally said on Jul. 24, 2010

If someone else writes mother 4 without any issues, wouldn’t mother be revived. Why doesn’t nintendo make mother 4.

batman said on Apr. 5, 2011

that sucks there isnt going to be a 3rd earthbound, maybe itoi should just hand down the franchise to nintendo and let them make a new mother game, i could see earthbound wii being as good as the star fox or f-zero series, depending on how much effort they put into it, and personally, i know alot of people will disagree with me, but i got the mother 3 translation for the wii, and i hated it not just because ness wasnt in it but also your not even the same main character for the whole game, kinda defeats the purpose of leveling up, i probably wont even play the fanmade mother 4 because again its not ness….but the wii brought back some old school games like donkey kong country returns, new super mario bros wii and metroid other m, i could picture nintendo making an earthbound wii featuring ness and the original crew but just sticking to the old school snes graphics just kinda better, except make the fighting style more like chrono trigger, where each character must wait untill the waiting bar fills up to attack and actualy show all 4 of them moving around the screen attacking there enemies with psychic and smash attacks, since smash bros brawl it seems they have been bringing back some old unused characters, and personally i dont think any franchise should ever end, (any of the really good ones anyways) they say theres not gonna be a star fox wii or f-zero wii or an earthbound wii, but all 3 of those games would be huge if they actualy released them, nintendo seems to have a big problem with giving the fans what they want, earthbound 3 is by far NOT impossible, nintendo is just not willing to go the distance to bring mother back

Mother Bound said on Apr. 5, 2011

@batman: ARE YOU NUTS?!
Sorry about this, but rant time. Okay, Itoi is the heart and soul of MOTHER and letting only Nintendo do it would be a mess, in MOTHER 3, you may be correct, but you only play as Lucas for the rest of the game, sometimes games need a new set of characters for a more logical story development (No, Mother 1 does NOT have Ness either, that is Ninten), the Chrono Trigger system would never work for an EarthBound game, you may be on it with Smash Bros, but I’ll believe it when there’s an Ice Climber game coming soon, and usually it’s better if franchises die on a high note, and they’re pretty much trying their hardest with returning to the fans, sans Mother, though. Besides, MOTHER will never die because of the fans, and it is impossible because Itoi already left the station, and Nintendo IS willing, they just can’t without him. It would never be the same. The MOTHER 4 team is working hard to keep the signature Itoi-style only the fans could understand. Again, sorry about the long rant.

Poe said on Apr. 5, 2011

The MOTHER games are so quirky and weird, they just wouldn’t be the same without Itoi at the helm. Now that he’s through with them, that’s the end of the series in my eyes. It doesn’t matter if someone else picks it up and makes a MOTHER 4 – it will be M4 in name only. The series will still end with MOTHER 3 for me.

[…] experiences but sees it as a closed chapter of his life. We can see this in interviews like this one from 2009. Itoi:Β […] Games demandΒ manyΒ more lines of dialogue despite the fact that the main […]