Merch Watch for Nov. 27, 2011
Probably most people here know about this by now, but I thought I’d make a video out of it since that seems to be more easily shared.
Basically, there’s a whole load of unused text in EarthBound. Some of it is just loose scraps that isn’t fully implemented into the game anymore, but there are some lines of text that work perfectly except for simple programming bugs that prevent the NPCs from appearing. Using the power of ROM hacking, we can see how they were meant to show up:
The bug in those instances were simple event flag settings being incorrectly set. It looks like Threed was probably one of the first few big areas that was developed in the game, so maybe that’s why these bugs snuck in.
BONUS! Here’s a patch that restores those characters: download patch
Some other unused text includes the following, but these lines aren’t tied to any existing NPCs, so they can’t be seen in-game the same way the Threed lines were. We don’t know who was supposed to say this stuff and where.
MUSIC CLUB / BAND NAME TEXT:
This text is never used in the game, but it’s located in the part of the program where all the hospital sign text is. Very strange.
@(<Members needed>Popular Music Club.
@Those who have a guitar, bass or drums, apply now.
@Caracas Cathedral, Napalm wound, Minky Cadillac,
@Sun Bunnies, the Creeps,
@Run Around TownKinky Kids, Bjork,
@Takashi Hosokawa or Horenso.
@We welcome anyone who likes to listen to these bands.
@Only serious, mature fans need apply.
@Please contact Lou.
This text is never used, but it’s located with all the other Scaraba NPC text. That, and the content of this lady’s text, makes it somewhat clear that there was supposed to be another NPC walking around Scaraba but the programmers forgot to fully implement her. Oh well.
@In the pyramid there’s hidden treasure.
@My husband was looking for it.
@Before he found it… he slipped on a banana peel.
@…So he gave up the search.
It looks like this text was meant to be said by someone near the pyramid if you didn’t check the hieroglyphs in Summers. It’s not clear if he was in Scaraba or down by the pyramid, though.
@You need to be able to read hieroglyphs to solve the mystery of the Pyramid.
@…I couldn’t solve it, although I read it.
@Didn’t you read the hieroglyphs at the museum in Summers?
Yes / No
If you say yes: @Then, you should be able to solve the mystery somehow.
If you say no: @Well, that means that you must go back, read it and then come back here.
It probably won’t be anytime soon, but I’d love to make a page on EB Central that lists all unused/hidden stuff in one convenient spot sometime 😀
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to Some Unused Text in EarthBound
Featured Item on eBay:
Lot of 12 RARE Super Nintendo SNES games EARTHBOUND FINAL FANTASY ZOMBIES ZELDA!
- KingOfSwords: Breaking news: MOTHER 3 rumored for Western release, just as it has been every day for the last ten years or more.
- Drake Wolf: Sincerely, I want this rumor to be true. Sadly, I know that I should take that rumor with a grain of salt. Remember the M3-KM carts and...
- Mother2fan: I really hope NOA releases it, but I would also have a very hard time accepting a translation other than Mato’s. The game I fell...
- Jerky: I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be true. Contrary to what seemingly every other EB fan thinks, I really don’t think...
- vince94: They know how attached/devoted we are to the world and the characters, I don’t think they’d change much. The backlash would be...