Random Post:

MOTHER Manga: Believe

November 10th, 2009 | Images, Itoi

Today is Shigesato Itoi’s birthday! The esteemed creator of EarthBound is 61 this year.

To commemorate the day, here are some more wacky/weird/interesting pics from his office:

Also, here is last year’s birthday stuff. And check out Itoi’s crazy office if you haven’t seen it before ๐Ÿ˜›

34 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Turns 61

Simon Roberts said on Nov. 10, 2009

Did he ever acknowledge that big box of stuff we sent him? I don’t remember seeing anything about it.

Mato said on Nov. 10, 2009

Not that I know of. It’s possible he said something about it in his daily thoughts, but they aren’t archived. If he was going to say something about it, that’s where it would’ve been.

Q said on Nov. 10, 2009

Hey, look who’s on Itoi’s shirt in panel 8! It’s our old friend Oswald the Lucky Rabbit!

20thCenturyBoy said on Nov. 10, 2009

Oh, that’s great! My birthday was yesterday. I’m 41 years younger than him, though.

TJYoshi said on Nov. 10, 2009

Wow, Itoi has got to be the most interesting guy I have ever seen. Seeing after him doing a lot of silly yet bizarre stuff. =3

resetsurvivor said on Nov. 10, 2009

So.. can we still send birthday wishes (in super easy english) to him via: postman@1101.com ?

Mato said on Nov. 10, 2009

Sure, I don’t see why not.

Earthbound_X said on Nov. 10, 2009

He’s 61? I thought he was in his 40s, he’s aging well, haha.

ModernHyrulian said on Nov. 10, 2009

What a coincidence, my birthday is today too! Surprise, surprise.

Mr. Crosser said on Nov. 10, 2009

Happeh burthdey Shigesato Itoi!

Gurp said on Nov. 10, 2009

That just made me realize, in like 20 years, the videogame industry is going to screwed Japan-wise, no more Miyamoto, no more Itoi, it’s gonna suck.

Sisto said on Nov. 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Itoi.
I hope this one is good and many more come. ๐Ÿ™‚

Leirin said on Nov. 10, 2009

lol yeah, that Oswald cameo in the 8th photo is awesome!

Itoi looks miraculously young, at least IMO, for age 61. And hopefully, he’ll live 61 years longer… ๐Ÿ˜›

chimera said on Nov. 10, 2009

3 more years until he can sing when I’m 64

Ice Sage said on Nov. 10, 2009

I spy a Mr. Saturn. ๐Ÿ˜€

And finally a picture where his dog isn’t all ghosty.

rawpower7 said on Nov. 10, 2009

Haha what are the odds he’d be wearing an Oswald shirt? Ever since Epic Mickey has been announced Oswald has been showing up everywhere.

darkzzii said on Nov. 11, 2009

well happy b day sir. Shigesato Itoi b day

Big A2 said on Nov. 11, 2009

@Chimera: But that wouldn’t make sense. โ€œWhenโ€ is referring to future tense, so he can’t say “When I’m 64” if he’s actually 64. ๐Ÿ˜

FuzzyPicklez said on Nov. 11, 2009

He’s that old?

Well, he’s older than my parents… but younger than my uncle. (my OLDEST uncle)

resetsurvivor said on Nov. 11, 2009

Yeah! I got a response back from my email. Unfortunately, I don’t speak Japanese. =(
Could it be from “that guy” ?!
I would like to think so.

Strawberry Tofu said on Nov. 11, 2009

Haha, I sent him a (very tiny) something, too. (I used my very simple Japanese, if that helps.) Got this:

ใปใผๆ—ฅๅˆŠใ‚คใƒˆใ‚คๆ–ฐ่žใฎ็ณธไบ•้‡้‡Œใงใ™ใ€‚

ใปใ‚“ใจใ†ใซใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚
ใผใใ‚’็ฅใฃใฆใใ‚ŒใŸใฎใ‚ˆใ‚Šใ‚‚ใ€
ใ€Œใปใ‚“ใฎใกใ‚‡ใฃใจใ€ๅคšใ‚ใซใ€
ใ‚ใชใŸใซใ„ใ„ใ“ใจใŒใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ™ใ‚ˆใ†ใซใ€
ใŠ็ฅˆใ‚Šใ•ใ›ใฆใ„ใŸใ ใใพใ™ใ€‚

ใŠใ’ใ‚“ใใงใ€‚

From what very little I can scrape together from this, it seems like a sort of auto-reply mail, but it talks about having another birthday pass by, getting a lot of happy e-mails, possibly something about his kids (? someone correct me on this). Nice little thing to get :>

resetsurvivor said on Nov. 12, 2009

That’s the same one that I got! Still very nice. I will keep it forever (..in my email ‘Bullshiz’ folder.) <3

Big A2 said on Nov. 12, 2009

I don’t think there’s anything it there about his kids, but I think he’s talking about HIS birth instead.

Who here’s good at Japanese? *coughmatocough*

Drowzee64 said on Nov. 12, 2009

Happy belated birthday, you crazy old coot! ๐Ÿ˜›

PK Mudkip said on Nov. 13, 2009

I used Yahoo Babel Fish and got:

[Almost the thread well of the daily [itoi] newspaper heavily it is the village. As for this mail, the mail which you celebrate, in my 61st birthday November 10th is put out to the one. Almost, it is to become the same contents, but please permit please. Being born, this one, every year every year, it received birthday one time by in one year, but this year it could pass that day safely. Though it is dense, if time and, young time when anyhow, age keeps being piled up, โ€œyou are brought upโ€, that โ€œit progressesโ€, it thought in order to be gone, but just a little just even each, as for such, when it is certain, it reached the point where you can think. This, โ€œjust just a littleโ€ the person who is said is very the cute one [bi]. Being delightful to verify this one [bi], looks back at the filter past which is done to just birthday. The word which you celebrate, thank you truly. You celebrated me compared to, in order โ€œjust just a littleโ€ more than usual, for there to be times when it is good to you, praying you can point. The [ge] with going back and forth]

Person of no significance said on Nov. 21, 2009

Itoi is immortal!

conn3r said on Dec. 11, 2009

i spot a mr.saturn plushie in pic 5 :3

donald_duck61 said on Dec. 17, 2009

I wonder what’s that book.

Soiherduliekeb said on Jan. 1, 2010

Itoi’s birthday is……… 5 days after mine??!?!

Anonymous said on Jan. 29, 2010

ITOI IS AWESOME

shibaru said on Feb. 12, 2010

My birthday = November 7

Matteomax said on Mar. 30, 2011

Itoi’s drunk!! Quick, Everyone tell him he will release Mother 4!!

BigDream said on Aug. 17, 2011