November 24th, 2009 | EarthBound, Images, Merchandise

Here’s a neat-looking handmade ad for MOTHER 2 in a Japanese game store. Not only does it look cool and stand out, it also heavily praises the game and talks about how it’s wonderful, how tear-jerking it can be, how it’s a masterpiece, etc. But most of all, the price stands out: only about $10 – $15 or so. Man, if only used EarthBound carts were that cheap.

I’m not sure who took this photo, so if anyone knows let me know so I can give them credit!

30 Comments to MOTHER 2 In a Used Game Store

santiagoff said on Nov. 24, 2009

I saw this one a long time ago. I think the store where that photo was taken is Mr. Potato, in Japan (of course).

slovaksiren said on Nov. 24, 2009

I like that little Chibi Ness, it just puts a smile on my face for some reason!

Jeagle101 said on Nov. 24, 2009

$10-$15 in Japan, but over $100 in the US?! COME ON MAN! 🙁

Fiends said on Nov. 24, 2009

Yeah the US prices are pretty ridiculous but you
can’t really do anything about it unfortunately.

Darien said on Nov. 24, 2009

To be fair, Mother 2 carts are fairly cheap in the US. I paid seven dollars for mine.

Ice Sage said on Nov. 24, 2009

It’s neat/interesting how they used Ninten’s clay model for the drawing (whether intentionally or not).

Leirin said on Nov. 24, 2009

Yeah, I agree with Ice Sage. Funny that this was posted, I was just thinking about this sign the other day! Great of them to draw up the artwork on their own… all the soul-less shops of America wouldn’t have the guts to do something so cool.

Reficul said on Nov. 24, 2009

Seeing this reminds me of that one time I saw Mother 2 on eBay for $4 USD.

God, that game is so cheap compared to it’s US counterpart. It’s just too bad I don’t know moon-speak.

Father said on Nov. 24, 2009

If I went to that store I would buy the game and that cool pic too even though I cant read it lol.

Izumi said on Nov. 24, 2009

Yup, that’s the Super Potato store in Osaka~ I’ve taken a near-identical photo of the ad, but I don’t think this one is mine. :<

Kabal said on Nov. 24, 2009

My dad is in Japan, if they r still selling it, maybe my dad can buy it to me 😀

Digitalized said on Nov. 24, 2009

Yep, that’s Super Potato, and I saw it on Starmen’s Fantography or whatever section a while ago.

LuffyDan said on Nov. 24, 2009

Holy crap!

I took this photo during my escapade in the moon country in 2007! It was on the second floor of the Super Potato in Akihabara. I remember freakin’ out about it since none of my friends on the trip knew anything about the game. I think I nabbed a couple other photos of EB/MOTHER related stuff in the store. I’ll have to check my Facebook and see if I can find it.

Ninji said on Nov. 24, 2009

No offense Mato, but this news and all the other posts for the last few weeks have totally sucked, it’s just the old boring same-old, your older posts were AWESOME though, I’ve sent you interesting news, like for example, THE EARTHBOUND BOX IS RECYCLABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

Mato said on Nov. 24, 2009

Yes, you sent news about that… but how is that news or of interest?

JB2448 said on Nov. 24, 2009

I pray that he’s being sarcastic.

PKSTARMAN said on Nov. 24, 2009

I think I went thre a year ago. I wanted to take a picture but… *sigh* The roll was full! :`(

PKSTARMAN said on Nov. 24, 2009

But, good thing my brother took one… Maybe he posted it.

Darien said on Nov. 24, 2009

Bonus points, I guess for “no offense, but all the posts totally sucked.” Not 100% sure that saying “no offense” renders that totally inoffensive, but, hey, the effort was there.

On-topic question: what is the meaning of the name “Super Potato” as it applies to this store? It’s a pretty epic store name.

Mister Crosser said on Nov. 24, 2009

I recall seeing this on a few months back..

Dumbo said on Nov. 25, 2009

I like how Star Ocean is in front there too. 😛

Anonymous said on Nov. 25, 2009

Mmm, you know something good’s coming up when a “no offense” kicks things off.

LuffyDan said on Nov. 25, 2009

I can’t remember where the name comes from, but they have a derpy little potato man mascot that’s ALL over their membership cards and sales tags. Super Potato is actually a rather popular chain of video game stores all over Japan. I’m not certain if every store has it, but the one in Akihabara has a arcade on their upper floor filled with vintage/retro arcade machines. You can find some new games at SP but it is mostly a shop for finding that old game you wanted.

What really makes me love Super Potato is the pristine quality of their used games. Japanese people for some reason are REALLY uptight about the condition of their games (and rightfully so, games rock!). Here in the states, not so much. Gamestop will sell you a bloody copy of a game that looks like someone took a diamond to it. Out of the 15-16 games I purchased, about half of them were still in box with manuals, and the rest were in mint condition (Famicom games, I mean).

So, if you get the chance to fly to the Nippon, Super Potato is a MUST SEE for any fan of gaming and retro gaming alike.

Besides, it’s the only place you can buy a Nintendo Entertainment System for $200.

Axl-fox said on Nov. 25, 2009

oh god, I love how’d they draw that little Ninten in the corner

its funny that they put Ninten instead of Ness to adversite Mother 2 xD

LuffyDan said on Nov. 25, 2009

That’s totally Ness, though. o.o

Flintbuza said on Nov. 26, 2009

That looks pretty cute 🙂

Chewy said on Nov. 27, 2009

In a perfect world, North America would have set-ups exactly like this with a pile of Earthbound carts in its used video game stores.

angryreimu said on Sep. 24, 2011

I think this was taken in Super Potato in Akihabara(shopping district for otaku.)It looks like that store jugding by the pictures I’ve seen of the store.

L. Raptor- Rocker of the Dead said on May. 2, 2012

I agree. I paid $70 for a boxed copy of Mother 2 and I actually found a copy of EarthBound( box, guide and cartridge!) for only $200 at a used game shop! I was honestly willing to pay for those once in a life time games.

anoymous said on Jun. 5, 2012