November 25th, 2009 | Auctions, Merchandise, MOTHER 1

It looks like one of the few known EarthBound Zero prototype cartridges is back on the auction block:

It’s priced at a little over $3000, though there’s also an “or best offer” set on it. This one sold for $1500 last time, so I’m not sure this one will go for the full $3000.

You can check out more info about this and all the other known EarthBound Zero prototypes here, though I just realized I still need to update it with a few details people sent in a while back.

Thanks to the several people who e-mailed me about this – I would’ve posted about this sooner but I thought people were referring to the several reproduction carts that recently showed up too.

30 Comments to EarthBound Zero Proto Back on eBay

chimera said on Nov. 25, 2009

I always love seeing this thing pop up randomly.

Arutoa said on Nov. 25, 2009

3000? That’s quite a lot for an NES game, even one this great.

Linkzcap said on Nov. 25, 2009

Was there ever a Mother 3 for N64 prototype cartridge found?

Callin said on Nov. 25, 2009

“”The cartridge is completely authentic and not a reproduction/bootleg. It was purchased earlier this year from sample_seller, who previously purchased it from Jollerancher.””

Poe said on Nov. 25, 2009

Linkzcap – no, the game wasn’t anywhere near completion before it was canceled.

edge said on Nov. 25, 2009

Has anyone ever ripped the info and made a rom or anything from one of these?

Mato said on Nov. 25, 2009

It’s where the EB0 ROM comes from, though it WOULD be interesting to see if these different protos differ in any way…

Carl said on Nov. 25, 2009

Yes, it was ripped a number of years ago; the ROM image should actually be pretty easy to find.

Father said on Nov. 25, 2009

A mother 3 64 prototype would be worth lots of $ but I know for sure someone would buy it.

James said on Nov. 25, 2009

I agree that the latest postings have been somewhat lacking. Sort of a combination of lack of good EB news and Mato being so busy with work or fun side projects that he isn’t putting up filler (surveys etc.) I’m willing to wait and give Mato some space, though. Being mildly offensive about it isn’t going to up the quality any!

Earthbound_X said on Nov. 25, 2009

So all people are doing are buying these, then reselling them for higher?

Mato said on Nov. 25, 2009

Although this isn’t on topic I’m curious what people are looking for to make the updates less “lacking”. Obviously I can’t spend every day translating interviews or writing up big articles, but in the past couple weeks we’ve seen a mini-patch for Mother 1+2, a summary of the 2nd chapter of the Mother 2 novel, a look at the Mother 4 fan game, a big pack of EarthBound fonts, a more interesting/detailed look at the official Mother 2 guide, a recent interview with Itoi talking about no more Mother games, a magazine mention, and another EB0 proto.

To me it seems the same as usual, but if you guys have recommendations for update types and/or ways to do said updates without taking too much time (right now I’m basically working two jobs) then let me know. I guess I could always throw some code together and make something like an EarthBound Digg/Reddit, but I think that would burn through content faster and be a lot less interesting/memorable.

resetsurvivor said on Nov. 25, 2009

Well.. didn’t this page just hit the 1 year mark or so?
I think the fact that there is anything left to talk about Mother/EB is amazing! I think the updates have been perfect. It gives me something to read everyday. Thanks! I don’t think I say that enough (..or at all?)

Ice Sage said on Nov. 25, 2009

Here we go again…more insane auctioning.

Darien said on Nov. 25, 2009

Not to nitpick, Tomato, but I think $3700 isn’t quite “a little over $3000.” 😉

As for site content, I dunno. Everything seems fine to me, honestly. It’s the same old fan art/crafts/games, weird trivia, and EB sightings that EB Central’s always had, innit? Can’t say I’ve noticed any problem with the recent updates.

I mean, I’d like more M2EB, but I get that you’re busy and that’s a pretty big undertaking.

Jeagle101 said on Nov. 25, 2009

Another EB0 Cartridge, another $1,000 dollars or more to be sold 😀

LightningLuigi said on Nov. 25, 2009

Its admazing how much these prototypes go for. The more I think about it, the angrier I get that EarthBound (NES) wasn’t released. What really gets me is that after they pushed it aside in 1991, they also considered releasing it in 1994, just before Mother 2’s release. EarthBound was good enough to be released post-SNES, darn it!. I can understand why they chose not to, but still.

Carl said on Nov. 25, 2009

What do you mean when you say that “Earthbound was good enough to be released post-SNES”? Earthbound was released in the US in June 1995, more than a year before the N64 (the successor to the SNES), and while the SNES will still quite healthy. It hasn’t been re-released since; the only release was during the lifetime of the SNES, not after it.

LightningLuigi said on Nov. 25, 2009

Uh, I meant the NES game (EarthBound Zero, if you must, but I’ll always consider it the true EarthBound). I meant it was good enough to be released within the SNES era.

Ninji said on Nov. 25, 2009

Okay, NOW I take back what I said in the last post Mato, just to tell you, now THIS is what I call news!!! Boy, I’m gonna have to beat up a LOT of Spiteful Crows to afford this………:D

Carl said on Nov. 25, 2009

I understand you now, LighningLuigi.

Calling the game Earthbound Zero has always bugged me, too, since that isn’t REALLY it’s name, but just calling it Earthbound is too confusing. I’ve taken to using quotes around the “Zero” as a compromise.

LightningLuigi said on Nov. 25, 2009

Yeah, that’s what I usually do too, or I call it NES EarthBound. Still a little confusing, but that’s what happens when you have two games that techniqly have same title.

L95 said on Nov. 25, 2009

Thi is random, but has anyone notied in one of the really recent nintendo power edited EB sprite were in the back of the book under an interveiw? I lack teh scanner.

Ninji said on Nov. 25, 2009

@ Ice Sage- Check out the auction, it’s not bidding, it’s a buy it now/ best offer thing, and considering the Buy It Now price is approximately 3000 USD, only insane people like me would attempt to buy it if they had the money 😀

Ninji said on Nov. 25, 2009

I agree with Darien M2EB comparison was really a cool topic… But of course, you’re a busy guy and all so I guess you did M2EB over the summer

James said on Nov. 26, 2009

Mato – I can’t put my finger on exactly what I feel is lacking… seems that many of the posts have been of whatever minor stuff you’ve come across. 113th best game? Recyclable box? Another overpriced EB0 prototype auction? Not doing much for me (but fits this site so I can see why this stuff is posted). I kinda skim over those pieces. I did appreciate the recent Itoi updates, and I always enjoy posts about your own projects. Honestly I think I really miss when you spent way too much of your free time on EB projects like Mother 3, etc. After playing M3, I’m left wanting more ‘new’ official content about the Mother universe. I hope I don’t seem like I’m complaining – I’m patient and take the ‘huh…’ with the ‘WOW!!!’ I wouldn’t have commented earlier had that other person not made their rude remarks.

Mato said on Nov. 26, 2009

Heh, I wouldn’t include the recyclable box on that list though, I posted about it just to make that guy be quiet 😛

Ninji said on Nov. 26, 2009

You’re talking about me aren’t you Mato, look, I hold no grudges over you, and I love your site/blog, but just WHEN did I specifically ask you to post about Recyclable EB boxes!!!!!!!!!!! 🙁 And you definitely know how to make a guy feel bad…. 🙁

pidgezero_one said on Dec. 3, 2009

Aww, it’s been removed. 🙁

Timothy said on Mar. 24, 2012

Who won the auction this time??

Find Merchandise!