November 4th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, MOTHER 1, Videos

A little while back crossedmoonmaster posted a video of how to play some MOTHER / EarthBound music in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64:

Pretty cool! I’d love to see more stuff like this, so if anyone has the time/patience/skill, please make more 😀

19 Comments to EarthBound Music in Zelda

Poe said on Nov. 4, 2009

I love messing around with the ocarina. Though I always tape down the L button so if I accidentally play a real song from the game, it won’t warp me somewhere or something.

I was pretty distracted by what was happening in the background during the M2 song. Was probably a bad idea to film there ;P

Aipe said on Nov. 4, 2009

I can play those on the ocarina without using the game

santiagoff said on Nov. 4, 2009

Proto Man ftw!!

My Neck Is Long So I Can Reach All The Chicks (Who Are In Trees) said on Nov. 4, 2009

It’d be nice to see the Mother 3 Love Theme played in a lonely dark place.

Ice Sage said on Nov. 4, 2009

Cool – someone else has done this too! 😀
I recorded the Eight Melodies from MOTHER using the scarecrow at Lake Hylia (not the one you use to make the Scarecrow’s Song, the one above it) in one file, and EarthBound’s Eight Melodies in another. I will literally play OOT and MM just to mess around with the ocarina. I’ve done A LOT of songs too.

And I recently bought an ocarina, and I’m trying to learn how to play both Eight Melodies on it. We’ll see how that goes. 😛

EarthBoundRules said on Nov. 4, 2009

I did almost the exact same thing as you, Ice Sage.

EBfan565 said on Nov. 4, 2009

I saw this video before it was posted before it was posted here.

Big A2 said on Nov. 5, 2009

I suppose if you know what button combinations make each note, and if you have some sheet music for a song, you could make a video playing anything with some preparation.

Hmm….

Except to see While My Ocarina Gently Weeps soon folks!

Assorted Astrology-Related Names said on Nov. 5, 2009

The Soundstone Melodies were a bit off, but Eight Melodies was pretty much perfect. Also, like some others, have messed about with a real ocarina. Playing Theme of Love badly by ear is fun =D

DrForestr said on Nov. 5, 2009

Hey ‘Mato! It’s been a few years! *laughs*

Anyway, I’m in Japan now (Nagasaki) doing a homestay here for a year… heh. Taken Japanese for two years, although it’s probably about eight years short of what I need to communicate with people here on a level more intellectual than “that Matsui sure is good!” and “boy, do I like oranges!” ^-^

Mato said on Nov. 5, 2009

Yep, I recognized your name from another comment you posted and was like whoa it’s DrForester from the old days 😀 That’s cool that you’re studying Japanese, it’s pretty fun, especially homestays. 頑張れ!

DrForestr said on Nov. 5, 2009

Aye. I figured I’d use the old 9-character IRC limit we used to have, haha… never could understand why it was 9. :\

Good job with the site! It’s amazing to see how far everything has come along since you and Reid set up EB.net back in the day. Remember the old layout? Wasn’t it like supposed to be like the town maps in EB? Just think, that was over a decade ago… scary!

M-Warrior said on Nov. 6, 2009

Awesome, I should try this out sometime.
Speaking of Zelda and Earthbound.
In a recent video of Spirit Tracks(Saw it on GameTrailers), it appears the rope/whip-like weapon gotten is…. Rope Snake!
Seriously, take a look at it. I swear, it seems Rope Snake jumped to the more popular series and became more menacing! Cameo or coincidence?

Lolreference said on Nov. 7, 2009

Protoman was included 😀

FuzzyPicklez said on Nov. 9, 2009

The funny part is that in MOTHER, you can play it on the ocarina too.

Helter Skelter Ω said on Mar. 11, 2010

Wow ^^ That was impressive! I wonder if in Majora’s Mask, it’s possible to do a cover of Mother 2/EB’s “Get on the Bus” with the Zora Guitar…that would be genius.

J-dog said on Jul. 4, 2011

I wonder how to do that on the 3ds.

Paula Polestar said on May. 23, 2012

ProtoMan + Zelda + EarthBound = The Legend of NessMan???

gg said on Jun. 11, 2012

Am I the only one who noticed that Zelda’s Lullaby sounded like the wing cap theme from mario 64?