November 25th, 2009 | EarthBound, Merchandise

Ninji sent this in a while back and insists it’s newsworthy. Is it? I dunno.

I recently saw on the bottom of the EarthBound box, it has small writing saying that the box is actually RECYCLABLE 😀 check out a picture of the box enclosed in the letter, look at the bottom, there’s a red recyclable sign LOL

588301_40186_back

I’m pretty sure many/most/all Super NES boxes had this message. I wouldn’t suggest recycling your EarthBound boxes though, as by themselves they often sell for a nice amount on eBay.

28 Comments to EarthBound Boxes Recyclable

Starguy256 said on Nov. 25, 2009

not something worth recycling!

santiagoff said on Nov. 25, 2009

Anything not generally known by the EarthBound fans is worth posting here. So yeah, I definitely think this kind of stuff are update-level =D

Darien said on Nov. 25, 2009

That logo actually indicates that the box is made from recycled material, not that it can be recycled. Regardless, not really seeing why it’s news; lots of packaging is made from recycled material due to various regulations, and other regulations mandate the recycled materials logo. It’s not really news that the game ships with one of those “health and safety information” fliers either.

Portal-Kombat said on Nov. 25, 2009

Wow. Do you think the EarthBound box has enough exclamation points?

Darien said on Nov. 25, 2009

Hey, it takes a lot of exclamation marks to emphasise how much this game stinks.

ScottKO said on Nov. 25, 2009

Whats the big deal? Lots of stuff is recyclable and made from recycled material…

Ninji said on Nov. 25, 2009

Well, Scotty Boy, enough with you sassy talk, just so you know, it’s newsworthy because people like YOU never knew about this, so don’t be such a jerk about it, besides, practically NOBODY knew about this here until this post was written!! PWNED.

santiagoff said on Nov. 25, 2009

@Darien: Why don’t you read the text below the logo? It clearly says: This package is made from recyclable materials and IS RECYCLABLE.
And I still consider this newsworthy, I didn’t really know about it :/

Poe said on Nov. 25, 2009

Ninji – you got your wish and this became an update, so please take your own advice and don’t be a jerk.

Zinco said on Nov. 25, 2009

Hahahaha, oh my god

TalahRama said on Nov. 25, 2009

The Earthbound box has a barcode on it! Can we make that into an update, too? Also, do another update on how it says you should read the info booklet before playing. Why are people not being made aware of these important things?

Ninji said on Nov. 25, 2009

@ TalahRama- I don’t mean to be offensive and all, but doesn’t EVERY SINGLE product have a barcode?? Or are you just joking around here with sarcasm? P.S. Unfortunately, nobody ever reads those info booklets LOL 😀

Ninji said on Nov. 25, 2009

HOLD THE F-KING PHONE!! ONE OF THE PICTURES IS MISSING FROM THIS BOX PHOTO, IF YOU HAVE AN EB BOX LIKE ME YOU WILL NOTICE THIS, YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS??????!!!!! IT MEANS THIS IS THE BACK OF A DISPLAY BOX!!! 🙂

Ninji said on Nov. 25, 2009

Hey Mato, not trying to be very impulsive and all, but I can tell searching for interesting EB news can be tough, somebody at GameSpot posted an awful review of EarthBound, giving it a 4.5/10 the link to the review is here:http://www.gamespot.com/snes/rpg/mother2/player_review.html?id=531053&tag=all-about;review1 🙁

Darien said on Nov. 25, 2009

Dear santiagoff,

The difference is that I was addressing the logo, yes? When I said “the logo means?” It’s nice to hear that there are words that say other things, but I was talking about the “red recyclable sign” mentioned in the post, which is actually a “made from recycled materials” sign. Remember the text of the post? Aha!

Xi said on Nov. 26, 2009

Have you done an update yet pointing out that the Nintendo logo and the Nintendo Seal of Quality are on the same side of the box?

TBird said on Nov. 26, 2009

Okay this is the weirdest Earthbound Central update yet, and that’s saying alot. I love it though, so maybe EarthBound fans are as crazy as everyone thinks.

IronROB said on Nov. 26, 2009

Looking at the box makes me wanna ask something.

Is it possible to play Earthbound in the EU Super Nintendo? Or was the SNES region locked?

tapioca said on Nov. 26, 2009

while we’re noticing things, does anyone notice that that’s not a real upc number?

Gummidge said on Nov. 26, 2009

I too would like to know if it is possible to play Earthbound on an EU SNES.

Komaru said on Nov. 26, 2009

At Gummidge:
It’s not possible- at least, at it’s current state.
The Super Nintendo uses a Hardware lockout, meaning if you disassemble your SNES, there should be a piece of plastic preventing you from inserting it. (At least, on an American SNES.)
There are plenty found converters, and I believe some Action Replay devices allow you to play import games.
The only issue is that the NTSC format is different from the PAL region, meaning the graphics may look slightly distorted, and the sound might play slower.

TalahRama said on Nov. 26, 2009

@Ninji
Yeah, I’m just making fun of you for thinking that it’s notable that a box can be recycled.

Ninji said on Nov. 26, 2009

@TalahRama- Are you making fun of me in a good way or a bad way?

TalahRama said on Nov. 26, 2009

Never knew there was a good way.

Someone Else said on Nov. 26, 2009

I can play EarthBound on my SNES, though that’s because it’s actually been modded to play carts of all regions. The modding opens up the cartridge slot a little and adds two little switches to the back of the SNES – one switch changes between 50hz and 60hz, while the other turns on and off the SNES’s ability to check the region of the cartridge.

It’s a pretty cool mod.

Someone Else said on Nov. 26, 2009

Hang on a sec – the picture of the back of the box… Isn’t a screenshot of Threed supposed to be there, too?

How many different versions of the box exist?

Ninji said on Nov. 27, 2009

Exactly, Someone Else, believe it or not I have a crazy hunch that I got the picture of the box I got was from the display box!! 😀

Gummidge said on Jan. 30, 2010

@Komaru

I just noticed your comment.

*squee*