November 26th, 2009 | EarthBound 64, Images

Aerostella came across this scan from the November 1999 issue of Game Informer. In it, it previews EarthBound 64 but calls it EarthBound 3.

GI-Nov99-Earthbound3
(click for full size)

Back then I don’t think it was called EarthBound 3 by anyone anywhere, so I’m guessing the editors tried to fix the game’s numbering issue themselves. Even Nintendo Power and Nintendo’s site were calling it EarthBound 64 at the time. The part about directing energy based on the battle environment is completely new to me, it sounds more like they didn’t know how the sound battles (which were functional in the Spaceworld 1999 demos) were supposed to work. Also, I guess the GI writers back then didn’t like the French or something 😛

Anyway, this is another interesting look back at the old days at least. If anyone else comes across old magazine scans about any of the MOTHER/EarthBound series, please send ’em in!

11 Comments to EarthBound 3 in Game Informer

Jimi said on Nov. 26, 2009

I’m actually interested in the fact that it mentions playable characters as a dog, and a pig king. Was He originally supposed to be playable?

That would have led to a very exciting post-epilogue chapter, where he arrives to the islands. Or something.

Mato said on Nov. 26, 2009

Yeah, I’m thinking they made that up too. In all the stuff I’ve ever read, that’s never come up until this, and this doesn’t strike me as a well-researched, hard-hitting report.

PK Saturn said on Nov. 26, 2009

I think “Pig King” was meant as one of the special features, not playable characters because it is separated from Dog by a semicolon, which was how the special features were listed

Darien said on Nov. 26, 2009

I agree with PK Saturn here; I don’t think it’s saying that Pig King is a playable character. Though I do kind of like the surreality of listing “Pig King” as a “special feature” of the game, which: what?

Monodi said on Nov. 26, 2009

Hahaha I came here thinking you were talkng about a current issue.

Yoshimad123 said on Nov. 26, 2009

*SPOILERS*
Perhaps ‘Pig King’ meant a chapter where you found out how Claus joined the Pigmask Army. After all, he is the second-most powerful member of the army.

Davidronled J.r said on Nov. 26, 2009

That makes since in facts thare are unuesd sprites of the Masked man walking. in mother 3 maybe you were to play as him.

LightningLuigi said on Nov. 26, 2009

I’d like to think if Mother 1+2 and/or Mother 3 were released outside of Japan, Nintendo would have fixed the numbering, but that’s just a sad pipe dream.

The artical is pretty interesting, though not very well done. Though I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a whole lot to talk about that hasn’t been said before.

KingMike said on Nov. 27, 2009

Aren’t you saying GameStop: the Magazine isn’t a publication with thorough fact-chacking? 😛

Scott Winston said on Nov. 27, 2009

I remember back in the late 90’s I wrote an angry letter to Game Informer, accusing them of tricking naive parents (like my mom) into subscribing to their magazine, which I deemed more “biased” than IGN. Some editor wrote me back a fairly large email defending the publication and made me feel incredibly ashamed.

But now, reading this, all of the reasons I wrote that bratty email come rushing back to me. Game Informer appeared to have an acidic disdain for Nintendo and the N64 particularly which bled into many of their articles.

GiegueFanboy said on Feb. 7, 2012

Earthbound 3 would be MOTHER 4. Which is being made, but they’re just calling it MOTHER 4. Also, that Magazine phailed.