October 11th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Last week I was too busy to post a weekly round-up, and I almost didn’t post one again this week. I’ve been super busy on real-life work and on an interesting project that I think people will like, but it’s got a few more months of work until it’s ready. Anyway, that’s what the deal lately has been.

Anyway, since I don’t have much time, this week’s round-up will be short and sweet again. So here’s what’s gone on this past week to two weeks:

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

I’ve seen a lot of cool stuff on eBay these past two weeks. Lots of Mr. Saturn plushies trading hands especially. Here’s some cool recent stuff that you might want to check out, but you can check what EarthBound / MOTHER stuff is on eBay at anytime here too.

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

I also found some stuff on Amazon:

Community News

I eat pancakes with my feet, so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• Itoi mentioned this past week that everyone at his office has been playing Wii Fit religiously. He used to play it, but he’s been slacking off for about 100 days now. He’s decided he’s going to get back into it and go at his own pace. This is the first time he’s mentioned any game stuff in a long time. With all the visitors his sites gets, I bet there’ll be a small boost in Wii Fit sales for a day or so too 😛

End

I noticed Zelda 3 has a lot of EarthBoundy-elements, especially at the beginning. Zelda’s telepathic cries for help are like Paula’s. The game starts with Link snoring in bed, he gets up at night and leaves home to wander around. Guards are blocking paths everywhere for no real reason, like the cops in Onett. One of the guards even says “No reason for you to be here go back home now” or something like that, like the cops at the meteor in EarthBound. Just some random thoughts, obviously Zelda 3 came first 😛 Oh yeah, and the fortuneteller totally looks like a Happy Happyist.

21 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #39

Sisto said on Oct. 11, 2009

I want that book so bad. I wish I had more money.

Satsy said on Oct. 11, 2009

Technically wouldn’t the Zelda 3 dealies be what EB is referencing, since Zelda 3 came first? 😉

Wierd. said on Oct. 11, 2009

I started playing Wii Fit again today. It had 104 days since i last played. Wierd right?

Alek said on Oct. 11, 2009

the two controlers thing works with zelda 3 too

santiagoff said on Oct. 11, 2009

Yay, you posted my link, thanks!
And yes, that sounds awfully familiar to Earthbound. Need to play that 😮

Poe said on Oct. 11, 2009

Oh my. santiagoff, if you haven’t played A Link to the Past, please don’t deny yourself any longer. Play it! It is very enjoyable.

PKSTARMAN said on Oct. 11, 2009

I wonder if you are advancing in the M 1+2 fan translation project. I would also like to see new EB VS. MOTHER 2 issues.

Komaru said on Oct. 11, 2009

Santiagoff, I would say that I enjoyed Link to the Past more than I did Ocarina of Time.
Yes, I said it.

LucasTizma said on Oct. 11, 2009

Gah! So much (semi-)rare merch to buy! :O As always, thanks for the heads up, Mato. Also, my Japanese tutor is going to Japan in a week or so, and she said she used to be a UFO Catcher master! She’s going to try to win me some Mr. Saturn goodness!

Zeph101 said on Oct. 12, 2009

Okay, just a random comment here. The new Mario & Luigi RPG’s world roaming segments remind me very much of Earthbound. The main city ‘Toad Town’ feels very reminiscent of Onett.

santiagoff said on Oct. 12, 2009

@Poe: Yeah, I played some bits of it some years ago, and it was enjoyable. The problem is, I have many games to play before that one DX
@Komaru: the only zelda I played and finished was Wind Waker. And I loved it. I played a little bit of Ocarina of Time, and I didn’t exactly love it :X

Ginrei said on Oct. 12, 2009

Wow! One of my biggest loves in life is Zelda, and I never noticed 3’s similarity to EB! Neato!

Thanks for the roundup, Mato! I love the “What’s up with Itoi” section.

chris catfood said on Oct. 12, 2009

@LucasTizma: i was in japan about 3-4 weeks ago, and there were no mr. saturn plushes left in any of the arcades in akihabara or shinjuku. i searched like hell and drove my girlfriend nuts. you’ll have to resort to auctions, because japanese nerds act way too quickly!

mato, i hope real world busy-ness isn’t bogging you down too much! i’m looking forward to the next m1+2 progress update! and i too always love the “what’s up with itoi” section

The Great Morgil said on Oct. 12, 2009

“…an interesting project that I think people will like, but it’s got a few more months of work until it’s ready.”

Ooh, i can’t wait to find out what it is. I hope it’s something big and cool and stuff. 🙂

LucasTizma said on Oct. 12, 2009

@chris catfood: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Well, fortunately, I did snag about 4-5 of them via YAJ, but that cost me a pretty penny… I just wanted to get some more for free. D: I’ll comfort myself with some additional YAJ splurging…

zedrein said on Oct. 13, 2009

Umm, how come you call Link to the Past “Zelda 3”? I mean, I suppose technically you’re right, but lttp is what out hearts long for.

Mato said on Oct. 13, 2009

Dunno, it’s what I call it, might be an age/location/context thing. Just like how people call extra lives “extra men” or “extra guys”. After Zelda 3 I call everything by their subtitles though.

Ginrei said on Oct. 13, 2009

I say it’s an age thing. I’ve always said “Zelda 1, 2, or 3”, and to this day I usually screw up and say “Zelda 64” instead of Ocarina of Time…. despite the fact that the N64 had two Zeldas on it.

LucasTizma said on Oct. 16, 2009

It’s just a way to reference games easier… People often say, for example, F9 for Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance since it was the ninth Fire Emblem game created.

Anyway, @Mato: For the MOTHER guide book you linked to (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360191412056#ht_3510wt_861), WHY oh WHY do they make the following associations (from one of the included pictures)?

Ninten = Mario
Ana = (Princess) Peach
Loid = Luigi
Teddy = Koopa (Bowser)

LucasTizma said on Oct. 16, 2009

F9 = FE9, from my previous post. >.<

Mato said on Oct. 16, 2009

I’m not really sure why, maybe the reason is explained in the book. That’s all I can think of.