October 3rd, 2009 | Auctions, EarthBound

While browsing Yahoo Auctions Japan just now, I came across something kind of neat: a music box that plays the Saturn Valley theme from MOTHER 2:

saturn valley musicbox 1
(pic of closed box)

Apparently it plays a 15-second arrangement that repeats. It’s not official of course, but still pretty cool. If only there was a video of it playing or something. Oh well.

An EarthBound alarm clock would be cool to have too. It could be shaped like the Dali’s Clock and spray you with water if you try to ignore it 😛

21 Comments to Saturn Valley Music Box

Chimera said on Oct. 3, 2009

this is a must buy for must buyers.

Mr. Crosser said on Oct. 3, 2009

If there’s a place where I could get a custom music box, I would really want to get a music box that plays the eight melodies.

Mr. Crosser said on Oct. 3, 2009

of EarthBound zero, of course

LucasTizma said on Oct. 3, 2009

Ownage! Thanks for the heads up, Mato. I’m snagging it…

Jungyin said on Oct. 3, 2009

I want it, but have no way of ever getting it. The “pic of closed box” link shows an open box, by the way.

WhatsHerFace said on Oct. 3, 2009

AUGH

I so want this!

But there’s no way I could probably get it right now… ;A;

skyrunner14 said on Oct. 3, 2009

What I wouldn’t give for one of these… I’d have a whole collection of MOTHER-themed music boxes! Pollyanna, Bein’ Friends, Eight Melodies… someone, get on that.

guy said on Oct. 3, 2009

I wish I could listen to it. They should have posted a video!

Mr. Crosser said on Oct. 4, 2009

Does anybody know of a site where you can get a custom music box? (involving sending piano notes or the music of it)

Ice Sage said on Oct. 4, 2009

@Mr. Crosser: I totally agree with you there.

Ice Sage said on Oct. 4, 2009

@Mr. Crosser: I’m looking for somewhere like that…for the exact same purpose, as well. Just wondering, but how detailed is the version of music/sheet music you would use?

Ice Sage said on Oct. 4, 2009

^Sorry about double (now triple) posting.

fums63 said on Oct. 4, 2009

An 8 melodies music box really would be the best thing ever.
It seems more fitting than any other Mother songs.

santiagoff said on Oct. 4, 2009

I’d love to hear it @_@

Mr. Crosser said on Oct. 4, 2009

@Ice Sage

well… I know nothing about piano notes, OR playing the piano x_x

Ice Sage said on Oct. 4, 2009

@Mr. Crosser

Not to sound condescending or anything, but I’ve been playing the piano for 10 years now, and almost half of that time has been spent looking for decent sheet music of EB0’s Eight Melodies. A music box (or anything for that matter) would sound much better if the background/left-hand notes are also playing (like EB0’s credits version) rather than picking out the basic melody line. And I still can’t figure out if Eight Melodies is in D major or F major (the vocal version is in F, the game version may be either key). 😐

So for me, the problem isn’t only finding somewhere that would make custom music boxes, but also finding a good version of Eight Melodies – unless someone has a good version/knows where to find one. 🙂

Jim said on Oct. 4, 2009

I wish I had one of those music boxes!

Also, Mr. Crosser, I too don’t know anything about music notes and things like that, so I recently started studying it at this place, so here’s the link in case you want to learn: http://www.musictheory.net/

LucasTizma said on Oct. 6, 2009

Well, I was able to acquire the music box, so whenever I get around to having all my MOTHER stuff shipped over here, I’ll take a video of it being played. 😀 I, too, would LOVE to find a place that can make custom music boxes like this. I want to make a bunch of MOTHER-themed ones. 😀

LucasTizma said on Oct. 11, 2009

@Ice Sage: I’d go with the official, 8-bit version of Eight Melodies that plays during the credits of MOTHER. Or, actually…the second Eight Melodies song included on the MOTHER 1+2 OST. The very end of that song plays through Eight Melodies with a music box instrument (for all I know, it’s actually a music box rather than some MIDI).

Froststare said on Oct. 17, 2009

You can find many mechanical and electric music box mechanisms on the internet. I saw one where you punch notes onto a paper strip and you would crank it through the mechanism and it would play. If you could find a midi of the song, you could open it in a notation program to get the notes. Just Google “Mechanical Music Box Kit”

MrSaturn03 said on Jul. 17, 2011

I would LOVE that alarm clock….for my brother since he is…I don’t know how should I say…the heaviest sleeper in all of Eagleland?

Find Merchandise!