Earthbound (SNES)

October 30th, 2009 | EarthBound, Images

The other day I was browsing Japanese Google for Japanse MOTHER stuff and one of the top results was this site that I’d never seen before: Another System 1983

Basically, the idea behind the site is: “What if there hadn’t been new game consoles after the Famicom/NES? What would our current games look like?” And then the site’s creator makes mock-up screenshots of title screens and other stuff. And here’s one for MOTHER 2:

Looks pretty cool to me! Someone with lots of time and skill should try making a real working reverse-port of EarthBound from scratch sometime 😀

I think the site’s creator has a few more MOTHER 2 things in store, so be sure to check out the site once in a while and also browse around it and see other games on there.

12 Comments to MOTHER 2 8-Bit Style

Antiaverage said on Oct. 30, 2009

The title screen to Mother 2 never seemed to fit the rest of the game in the first place. But, we’ve had discussions about this before. As it stands, I think I like the 8-bit version better ^_^

Sisto said on Oct. 30, 2009

Gyiyg Strikes Back… and he’s 8-bittyer than ever.

Will said on Oct. 30, 2009

That screen is a combination of Mother 2 and Crystalis for the NES.

Satsy said on Oct. 30, 2009

I did start doing a NES style Onett, but I’ll have to go back over that, since the buildings are oddly done/I was working on two different tile resolutions.

I do have a topic in fan forum if anyone can give me tips (I’ll be looking into rounded-doors on buildings)…

Elobo said on Oct. 30, 2009

Nice catch on Crystalis, Will. The whole thing gives me a Samurai Zombie Nation vibe put together like.

LightningLuigi said on Oct. 30, 2009

I’m pretty sure the opening screen is supposed to show what will happened if Ness doesn’t stop Gyiyg/as’ attack on Earth. Kind of pursudes you to finish the game before you even begin.

I’ve kind of wondered what games would be like if we never left the 8-bit era. Its kind of hard to imagin, but that picture makes it easier.

Assorted Astrology-Related Names said on Oct. 30, 2009

That site was pretty awesome, it’s a pity that the ICO screenshots didn’t work.

Anyway, this kinda shows the huge leap between the two systems. It’s actually quite interesting. But I’d love to play an 8-Bit Earthbound or Mother 3, as long as it didn’t have Earthbound Zero’s RANDOM ENCOUNTER EVERY TWO STEPS problem.

MarioFan3 said on Oct. 30, 2009

That DOES look pretty cool,
I too would like it if someone reverse ported Mother2 OR 3 (both?).
You’re right though, you really DO need heaps of time, someone with soooo much time on their hands may be able to do it (praying from the bottom of my heart…)

I know it never sounds hard to do projects, which is true in one sense, however it’s the problems that get in the way DURING the project that make life hell and take much time to fix.
Although the end result afterwards IS satisfying (eg. Mother3 Translation)
Perhaps someone could start with RPG Maker? (make a demo maybe?)

Mesia said on Oct. 30, 2009

Isn’t that the End Day from Crystalis…?

Zup said on Nov. 1, 2009

Here is Smash Bros. Melee:

Super sweet. I’ve always wanted to see what an old fashioned Smash Bros. would have looked like. And Ness is awesome!

FireStar said on Nov. 1, 2009

In a way, I’m kinda surprised there isn’t any known pirate original version of any one of the MOTHER games, a la Pokemon red by Mars.

SmaMan said on Nov. 6, 2009

I was about to say something about that, FireStar. Heck, with the Mother series’s escalating popularity, I wouldn’t be surprised if Shenzhen Nanjing is already pumping out a crappy NES port of Mother 3, where the Love Theme would play continuously in the overworld, and the battle theme would be… Pokemon.