October 19th, 2009 | EarthBound, Hacking, MOTHER 1, Videos

You might remember that in the recent past MightyYT22 did some hacking with the EarthBound ROM to create intros for MOTHER 2 and MOTHER 3 as kind of neat “how well can it be done” experiments. If you don’t remember, see here and here.

Anyway, he’s done it again, this time he’s created an intro hack showing what an intro for an EarthBound-ified MOTHER 1 might’ve looked like:

Hacking the intro screens to EarthBound is a very tough and painstaking process, so it’s pretty awesome to see that much work put into it 😯 Also, if you feel like trying it out for yourself, you can get the image files and the IPS patch here.

EDIT: Also, check out the message board thread about it here!

14 Comments to MOTHER 1 Intro in EarthBound

Sisto said on Oct. 19, 2009

I heard about that, but I was too lazy to check it out. 😉 That’s really cool. Nice job, MightyYT22.

Old West said on Oct. 20, 2009

I was really impressed by the ad picture he got in there.

Ice Sage said on Oct. 20, 2009

One word: awesome. 😀

resetsurvivor said on Oct. 20, 2009

Really cool!

I’ve always wondered…

what is that thing off to the right of the kids?
Is it that robot they fight?

JamesBond007 said on Oct. 20, 2009

Great work! This can be used in EarthBound Zero Remake
!!!
But few things should be changed.
1. “Gyiyg” should be changed to “Giygas” (or at least “Giegue”).
2. Copyright date should be changed to US one (1989-1990).
3. You can also change “Mother” to “EarthBound Zero”, but that’s optional.

MightyYT said on Oct. 20, 2009

I’m already three steps ahead of you JamesBond007!
😀
I’m halfway through an EB0 intro hack and it’s going pretty well!
Hopefully it should be done soon!

LightningLuigi said on Oct. 20, 2009

Gyiyg Strikes! That’s actually pretty funny.

I’m enjoying these title screen hacks. I’ve tried hacking it before, so I can appriciate how much work this guy put into it.

Komaru said on Oct. 20, 2009

Oh man, that picture of the three heroes must have taken ages to digitize with the restraints of the SNES. Having attempted intro hacks before, I can really appreciate the work MightyYT put into these.

santiagoff said on Oct. 20, 2009

Holy lol!

Claus said on Oct. 20, 2009

That’s awesome!

Pimpshi said on Oct. 20, 2009

That’s extremely well done! I def. respect the work you put into all of these, considering every time I try to hack EB I just break it in some new and unique fashion. 😛

I bet putting in the Mother title music would be near impossible or game-breaking, not to mention you’d probably have to use some tool to rewrite the tune in Earthbound instruments and somehow plug it into the extended chunk of the ROM. That’s great stuff there, MightyYT!

Gurp said on Oct. 21, 2009

Really liked what he did with the title transition.

anonymous said on Oct. 23, 2009

the cloud to the right of the mountain looks like a face! lol

Wyatt8740 said on Nov. 12, 2012