October 30th, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

You know how in Happy Happy Village, the Insane Cultists will call for other Insane Cultists? Well, Starmen.Net forumgoier Murcielo happens to be insane too:

For those of you who may recall, I managed a 502 Insane Cultist battle back during EBFGP, and I stated back then that I would defeat 1,000 Insane Cultists in a single battle; well, turns out…. I failed for now. I have been relatively busy with college and other endeavors that it took a while for me to work on this.

After an exhausting 9.3 hours, I managed to surpass my past Insane Cultist killing spree; however, my patience began to dwindle, causing me to accidentally end it at 896 kills (at Ness’ level of 31, experience for each Cultist became 353). I was rather disappointed in myself for having done so, because I wanted to reach the afformentioned goal. But, for the time being, I’m satisfied.

You can read more about it here. It’s always cool to see people trying new challenges with such an old, thorougly-explored game 😀

18 Comments to Insane Body Count in EarthBound

superneku said on Oct. 30, 2009

OMG THEY’RE DYING BY THE HUNDREDS! OH THE HUMANITY!

Xi said on Oct. 30, 2009

And yet, if achievements were around back then, this would be a common occurrence. ^_^

Sisto said on Oct. 30, 2009

Dang, son.

Ice Sage said on Oct. 30, 2009

I would have called an asylum first before I tried anything like this. The 1/128 item challenge was bad enough (and I’m about to try it again for the 4th time, too – I fear for my sanity).

JamesBond007 said on Oct. 30, 2009

Insane Cultist A, B, C, D…
Who was next after Insane Cultist Z?

anton said on Oct. 31, 2009

heh, I do this all the time, only until i start getting bored. in onett starting with the skate punks, then black antoids, then the cultists. then the foppies. sure it takes a lot of the challenge out of the game, but it makes moving forward a breeze so you can enjoy more EB at a time. it’s not even so much the challenge of the game that I enjoy as much as the content.

Big A2 said on Oct. 31, 2009

@Bond: I don’t know, but whatever Insane Cultist Z has goes VOOM.

Saturnome said on Oct. 31, 2009

Made me think, how many people and creature die in the hands of Ness on average during the whole game?

zedrein said on Nov. 6, 2009

Where is that music from?! Is it the OST?

Murcielo said on Nov. 7, 2009

I’m rather shocked that it was posted here; in fact, I’m glad to know what I did was something worth mentioning. Thanks.

Zedrein: Actually, it was from the Rock Candy albums. Check the video’s description for the names and from what albums they resided from.

JamesBond007: Uh, the Insane Cultists go up to F, if I remember correctly. I just left the last one in that sequence alive and killed the A’s for many hours.

Xi: I’m inclined to agree; however, if you enjoy EB very much, it’d compel you to create new challenges for yourself, thus would make said “achievements” possible.

sticktendo said on Nov. 14, 2009

I tried this earlier today, but I only got to about 30 before getting bored. But I found out the order of the cultists goes A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, A, B, A, B…and they keep repeating. I thought it’d go through the whole alphabet!

Matteomax said on Feb. 27, 2011

The insane cultinist 1000 was defeated! you won! Ness gained 99999999999999999999999 exp points! Ness became level 99! Lol!

Titanic Ant said on Mar. 20, 2011

…Video removed by user?
Aww…

Kyle said on Aug. 8, 2011

Could someone re-upload? I never got to see it 🙁

Zuppermati97 said on Sep. 2, 2011

video removed 🙁

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2012

Readded the video!

Murcielo said on May. 10, 2012

Thank you Mato for reinstating the video on the article, I appreciate it.

I discovered recently that VyseOfLegends9001 (you can You-Tube his name, you bums) is attempting to surpass this and achieve the 1,000 Insane Cultist mark. Just thought I’d bring that to everyone’s attention.

VyseOfLegends9001 said on Jan. 22, 2013

I do plan on to keep trying this until I get it. My 2nd try might be after my Earthbound LP! My first try got me into the 600s and was with Home sickness.