October 20th, 2009 | EarthBound, Smash Bros., Uncommon Knowledge

Ratheronfire sent this in the other day about a Mr. Saturn image in a Metroid-related texture in Smash Bros. Brawl:

I’m not sure if you’ve seen this before, but Nintendo hid a Mr. Saturn sprite in the Metroid texture. You can only see it by looking in the texture file, since it’s hidden in the actual game.

My friend showed me this a minute ago.

(click for big)

I don’t have the time/know-how to confirm this myself, but it seems pretty interesting. I seem to recall there being hidden textures in other stuff in Melee too, nothing EarthBound-related though.

32 Comments to Hidden Mr. Saturn Sprite in Brawl

Deiphobus said on Oct. 20, 2009

daisy’s third eye

LucasTizma said on Oct. 20, 2009

Yup. 🙂 I think that was a glitch more than it was an easter egg. But that’s so cool that Mr. Saturn wound up hidden away in Brawl somewhere. 🙂

Sisto said on Oct. 20, 2009

Oh wow. That’s cool. I would have never thought.

Krennthief said on Oct. 21, 2009

Isn’t ElfKitty, a devoted fan of EarthBound, an environment designer for the Metroid series?

I don’t know if this has anything to do with her at all, but I’m just making connections based on what I’ve learned.

Edracon said on Oct. 21, 2009

This made me laugh soooo much. Thankyou, now I know that metroids are piloted by Mr. Saturns.

Blueman said on Oct. 21, 2009

Makes sense they would hide something obscurely like that… after all, in the stage Pokemon Stadium 2, you can see a picture of Masahiro Sakurai’s cat.

resetsurvivor said on Oct. 21, 2009

This would have been by the hands of a Japanese programmer I am assuming? Still very cool.

SmaMan said on Oct. 21, 2009

The last Mr. Saturn is in captivity.
The galaxy is at peace… BOING!

santiagoff said on Oct. 21, 2009

What the hell?

Matoking said on Oct. 21, 2009

Woah, maybe possible through the unrestricted pause camera cheat?

Ratheronfire said on Oct. 21, 2009

Matoking: I’ve tried to see it with unrestricted camera, but I could never find it.

Not Giygas said on Oct. 21, 2009

Metroid/Earthbound crossover!

Samus tried PSI Phazon Alpha!

Gurp said on Oct. 21, 2009

That’s honestly amazing.

Ice Sage said on Oct. 21, 2009

That is so bizarre. What makes it even more so is the weird color, but I don’t know why that stands out to me more than the simple fact that it’s there in the first place.

Jimi said on Oct. 21, 2009

It might have been a joke that got sent around from artist to programmer or whatnot, and they decided ‘Let’s just leave it in for kicks. Nobody will see it anyways.’

Unfortunately, we saw. D=

Strawberry Tofu said on Oct. 21, 2009

Out of all the random crap you could find…

Diamondized Lucas said on Oct. 22, 2009

What’s that from? The Frigate Orpheon? Norfair?

JoeWuzHere said on Oct. 23, 2009

It looks like it is from the Metroid assist trophy

Zai said on Oct. 23, 2009

That reminds me of the hidden Mr. Saturn sprite in Mother 3 behind the Ropeway entrance!

anonymous said on Oct. 23, 2009

we need another ssb game with alot more EB and Metroid!

missy said on Oct. 23, 2009

that’s awesome 😀
I didn’t even know there were hidden sprites at all lol

ppl said on Oct. 24, 2009

what program is being used to hack the textures or view .pac files?

Drowzee64 said on Oct. 24, 2009

Oh, those silly game developers. 😛

jack said on Oct. 24, 2009

ppl is rite what program is bein used to open the .PAC and view .hack the textureS?

PKMarans said on Oct. 26, 2009

Interesing.

MatoKing: What is this unlimited camera cheat?

JoeShmoe said on Nov. 4, 2009

Being an ex-Brawl hacker, I can confirm this report; for whatever reason, the person behind the Metroid textures felt it necessary to imprint their “insignia” as a Mr. Saturn.

Not that I have any problem with that, of course. 😛

piggyjelly said on Dec. 8, 2009

Yeah it’s true I extracted it with brawl box and it’s true, nut I can’t find it when viewing the model though.

cheat-master30 said on Dec. 10, 2009

This is a really neat discovery, and reminds me of the Mario sprites some DS games had hidden in them, the one the Nintendo home page had in the code at one time, and the picture of Sakurai’s cat in the building in Pokemon Stadium 2.

Got to love these neat hidden touches by designers/programmers.

hacker said on Nov. 18, 2010

Ratheronfire you are right i tried it too couldnt get it

RadicOmega said on Oct. 20, 2011

Trust me, that isn’t the only thing Brawl used from Mother secretly. I can make a long list.
-The game over in the subspace emissary diffenatly matches the game over in Mother.
-The game over music in Brawl is a speeded upvirsion of the Mother 3 game over thing.
-The main Brawl Menue theme’s begining sounds a lot like a hotel in Earthbound.And the Sacrabaa pyrimid music.
-At one part of the SSBB intro where there is only a quire, music will eventualy start to play. The music that plays has the eight melodies from Mother 2, Paula’s theme. And the end of the MOTHER eight melodies.
-Tabuu, the final boss has a slight resemblance to Giegue.
-The ending to the final Boss music has Pokey means Buissness’s guitar, and the eight bit music virsion plays frequently.
-THe SSBB remix on Mario 3 main theme has the DCMC’s King P’s Theme at the veary begining.
-The music that plays at the Sub Space mode course “Lab of Subspace” has the EartBound song “Alian Invasion,”
-His Higness’ theme plays in the SSBB DK song Battle of the bridge (Or Mointain battle or something)
This is from my own ears, I was just playing SSBB some time when I found this. Although I beleve I might of been just hearing things in the DK song.

Username? What's that? said on May. 23, 2012

This may be a little to late for you to read now, but all of your claims are based on music and sounds. All of these are not connected to EarthBound at all.

Good Day.